Thread: slight dent near tunnel

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default slight dent near tunnel

My boat started porposing and cavitating, not bad but it is not normal. I looked around and found that a slight dent near my tunnel, I have a self bailing deck, how do I get the slight dent out?
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

I had this problem with my old Predator, but it was beyond repair and the bottom had to be replaced. It was starting to pull pretty hard to one side and cavitate too much on turns.

If it is a single dent, I think you'll have a bunch of options, but I think the first I would explore would be the paintless dent repair that is offered for cars and trucks. I'd imagine with the self bailing deck that it would rack up the labor hours to access the bottom in order to pound it out from the top. If it is bad enough, a good welder should be able to cut the area out and fix it.

I'm not sure if anybody has tried to repair a dent with a bondo type adhesive, I wonder if that would work.

Some how I've ended up with a couple of dents on the bottom of my new Predator, so I'll be curious to see what others have to suggest.

I dented in the bottom of my tunnel I took the floor out and pounded the dent back out from the inside. I looked good but the aluminum stretchs when you dent it. So after a while it came back.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    I'm not sure if anybody has tried to repair a dent with a bondo type adhesive, I wonder if that would work.
    Use this for dents, cracks and tares, it works as well on metal as gray tape on fabric

http://www.markingpendepot.com/brows...Putty-(F).HTML

[QUOTE=

Some how I've ended up with a couple of dents on the bottom of my new Predator, so I'll be curious to see what others have to suggest.[/QUOTE]

I'm remote so the builder suggested I cut 12x12 hole in the deck and pound out dent and cover with 13x13 plate attached with 5200 and rivets, i'm going to try and use epoxy and when I get to the hub Kodiak I;ll have a welder put a thicker plate in front of the tunnel.

thanks for the advise
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Lightbulb

yup cut a hole and fix... how bad is it.. a small hole a 1/2inch steel rod and some hammer time would do it? ...
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

Quote Originally Posted by atvalaska View Post
    yup cut a hole and fix... how bad is it.. a small hole a 1/2inch steel rod and some hammer time would do it? ...

kinda along a runner and really not a bang out type dent? 3-4 feet long 4 inches wide? I just filled with splashzone and will try out later, but looks good.
    www.kodiakcombos.com