Thread: Bears?

Question Bears?

I know its late in the season but I have been spending a lot of time out looking for grizzly bears in the last few weeks. There is no snow on the ground and it has not been that cold! So where should I look? I've been heading north of Palmer but staying within unit 14, mostly getting up high and doing lots of glassing. Anyone have any suggestions? I might go out again tomorrow if the weather holds. Where should I look? I would like to keep the drive to a max of about an hour (i live in eagle river). Thanks, Kort

Well your chances aren't very good this late in the year I wouldn't think. I honestly doubt you'll see any no matter where you go. I really wouldn't waste the time and effort right now.
    Former A.F Staff Sergeant

Default Never a waste!

It's never a waste of time to be out in the woods. Ah the serenity, the best thing about going out during the week is that I usually don't run into anyone. It's like having the ATV trails, the forest and the mountains all to myself, I love it. A bear would just be icing on the cake.

I would think your biggest limitation would be the distance you're willing to travel, but hey you never know. I'm sure if you drove North of Palmer into unit 13 and glassed the hillsides anything's possible.

Default grizzly's

Went to the arctic circle 12 days ago and stalked a grizzly eating berries, 20-30 degrees 2 3 inches of snow, got within 50 yards, my guess that it is possible to see bears

Absolutely, until we get some real snow and cold temps the bears will still be out feeding. Try the Willow side of Hatchers Pass, seen a few grizzlies over the years up that way.

Thumbs up Prime pelts....

I agree that brown/grizz should still be out in south-central AK until there is some accumulation of snow. How much? I don't really know. But I have observed brown bears plowing through two feet of snow before at this time of the year. And if you whack one of these late fall, early winter bears, the pelt will be super prime, probably. Super prime because all that new hair just grew in and should be as thick and as long as it will ever be. And in theory at least, the bigger boars are the last to go into the dens.

The brown bears I have observed in the past seem to stay out longer than the black bears. At least that is what I have observed on the Kenai peninsula.
    Although the days are getting short and cold, its a fine time to whack a brown bears. Have a blast...

Dennis

Well if it dont snow hear in the next few days, I might head up north and go look for bears again, particularly a grizz. If not for bears, just to get out and explore before winter sets in fully.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    Absolutely, until we get some real snow and cold temps the bears will still be out feeding. Try the Willow side of Hatchers Pass, seen a few grizzlies over the years up that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaTrueAdventure View Post
    I agree that brown/grizz should still be out in south-central AK until there is some accumulation of snow. How much? I don't really know. But I have observed brown bears plowing through two feet of snow before at this time of the year. And if you whack one of these late fall, early winter bears, the pelt will be super prime, probably. Super prime because all that new hair just grew in and should be as thick and as long as it will ever be. And in theory at least, the bigger boars are the last to go into the dens.

The brown bears I have observed in the past seem to stay out longer than the black bears. At least that is what I have observed on the Kenai peninsula.
    Although the days are getting short and cold, its a fine time to whack a brown bears. Have a blast...

Dennis
    these are good comments, by experienced guys...

it is not the month of they year that puts a bear in his den, but the amount of snow on the ground. and cold. Grizz and black bears alike are still out and about and will be until the rivers harden up here.

last year they were out through nearly Thanksgiving.

grizz do not have hair on the pad to insulate their toes from the cold... and we have yet to have any..

down in the matsu it was VERY common to find black bear out through Christmas. even along the lil su... they may have their dens picked out, but they are not in them yet... if you spot one late in the day.. get out there early the next .. it will be in the same area.. especially if feeding.

or you can ask HUNTRESS about late season bears on trapplines, i am pretty sure that snow suit is still stained
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here