Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: kingfisher 2825 in bad shape

Default kingfisher 2825 in bad shape

I'm wondering if anyone else out there has had the poor experience I have with my harbercraft kingfisher boat. Mine is less than two years old (2007) and I've experienced:

-Chain locker leaked water into the fore berth causing significant mold and mildew problems.
    -Door to head is significantly warped where it’s easy to see in and/or out with the door closed.
    -Fittings attaching the raw water wash down pump had no Teflon tape and were not tightened. On first use it sprayed the entire rear compartment (batteries, terminals, etc) before it became obvious by the bilge pump kicking on and shooting gallons of water over the side there was a problem.
    -Through hull fitting drain for chain locker had brass lock ring with no plastic spacer and no sealant applied during assembly. Paint blistered outside
    -Counter top cracked at one edge where the Wallas heater was installed.
    -No “clam shell” vent cover was installed at the exhaust outlet to the Wallas heater as it should have been according the installation instructions from Wallas for fast boats. The heater kept blowing out and this caused premature wear and tear.
    -Bulkhead to the pilothouse was warped, causing exhaust fumes to enter into the cabin.
    -The macerator pump plumbing to the holding tank was dripping into the bilge on the inside of the pilothouse.
    -Hinge lost pin on the transom door.
    -Trim tabs never worked because fuse kept blowing .
    -The little water pump screwed into the fresh water tank that served the sink was over tightened and stripped out the threads on the tank, causing a leak
    -The sink drain was not sealed well and leaked into the drawer below.
    -No sealant applied to the optional rail around the stern of the boat, causing the paint to blister around all attaching points
    -No sealant applied around stainless screws in the transom, causing paint to blister
    -No sealant applied to the bimini top where it’s attached to the hull.

Okay...check King Fisher off the list of future boats!

Good luck with all of that. Hopefully they will make things right for you.

Default montez

montez is this you?
    \

Quote Originally Posted by heathjohnson View Post
    I'm wondering if anyone else out there has had the poor experience I have with my harbercraft kingfisher boat. Mine is less than two years old (2007) and I've experienced:

-Chain locker leaked water into the fore berth causing significant mold and mildew problems. No problem yet.
    -Door to head is significantly warped where it’s easy to see in and/or out with the door closed. Mine is warped but thats the way it was when I bought it.
    Fittings attaching the raw water wash down pump had no Teflon tape and were not tightened. I had the floor up so I made sure all of this way properly sealed.

On first use it sprayed the entire rear compartment (batteries, terminals, etc) before it became obvious by the bilge pump kicking on and shooting gallons of water over the side there was a problem.

-Through hull fitting drain for chain locker had brass lock ring with no plastic spacer and no sealant applied during assembly. Paint blistered outside So far I haven't had any blistering however I don't keep my boat in the water.
    -Counter top cracked at one edge where the Wallas heater was installed. Mine is cracked.
    -No “clam shell” vent cover was installed at the exhaust outlet to the Wallas heater as it should have been according the installation instructions from Wallas for fast boats. The heater kept blowing out and this caused premature wear and tear. I installed my own clam shell and it did make a difference.
    -Bulkhead to the pilothouse was warped, causing exhaust fumes to enter into the cabin. No problem here.
    -The macerator pump plumbing to the holding tank was dripping into the bilge on the inside of the pilothouse.
    -Hinge lost pin on the transom door. No problem here.
    -Trim tabs never worked because fuse kept blowing . No problem here.
    -The little water pump screwed into the fresh water tank that served the sink was over tightened and stripped out the threads on the tank, causing a leak. Bottom line the mickey mouse pump they install will not self prime and because mine was poorly plumbed it never did work properly. I threw it away and installed a good pump, no more problem with water.
    -The sink drain was not sealed well and leaked into the drawer below. No problem here.
    -No sealant applied to the optional rail around the stern of the boat, causing the paint to blister around all attaching points
    -No sealant applied around stainless screws in the transom, causing paint to blister
    -No sealant applied to the bimini top where it’s attached to the hull.
    I've had a few other issues like a leaking rear steering pump, 12 volt refrigerator never wired properly, rear inspection hatches leaking etc.
    After making all these various repairs myself I did learn about the boat. I never took it back to the dealer, just to much trouble and it probably wouldn't have been repaired anyway.

All this mickey mouse stuff aside I do enjoy the boat and have been happy since completing the repairs. I've made many other upgrades, installed all my electronics, fuel management system, anchor winch, another heater and on and on. Bottom line I decided to make the repairs and never look back, enjoy the boat and simply take care of problems and never take the boat in for repairs. It's not right, however I'm alot happier not fighting with the manufacture and dealer. Life's just to short.

Default similar problems in 2004

How many of these problems were caused by the dealer installed options vs. the manufacture? I ran through a many problems with my new purchase because of poor work on the part of the local dealer. The washdown issue was very similar to what I experienced.

It has taken a few years but my Osprey is now a solid boat that I can trust ...

If bought brand new a 2825 is not a cheap expense! I'd be reallly upset, and I am sorry to hear about your problems.

Did you buy yours new? I have seen 4 Kingfishers that have been up for sale due to damage cases or theft and recovery cases.

I wouldn't expect to spend $120+ on a car like a Mercedes and have to mickey mouse with it!

Painted aluminum unless done perfectly (or with proper paint like an epoxy) will blister unfortunately.

In the marine world is there such thing as a lemon law...?

Heathjohnson... you are not crazy your problems should be taken care of by either dealer, manufacturuer, or paid for by either entitiy if work is repaired by a local shop. I might gather that a 1 year warranty on these issues is not an excuse.

DEFINATELY talk to your insurer and a marine surveyor... that is why we have insurance. Looks like some of your list may be from dealer installed accessories?

Look to make sure the marine surveyor accredited (eg SAMS or ABYC other). Having either an insurance rep or marine surveyor bring your claims to the dealer or manufacturer will get you the results you deserve.

Sobie2
    Last edited by Sobie2; 11-06-2009 at 09:46. Reason: extra thought

To my knowledge none of the assembly work was done at the dealership, it was a loaded boat out of the factory. It's clear to me that much of the problems were out of the factory. I bought the boat new and so far the manufacturer paid to have a guy come out and smack the rear pilothouse flat with a sledgehammer. There are some scuff marks but I can deal with that. The door seals properly now and I'm not choking on fumes. They also fixed the through hull fitting that caused the paint to bubble because it was brass on aluminum. Since then however they have said they would fix the zolatone "if they had a truck delivering boats to the area so they could take it back to the factory". I offered to haul it myself to the factory and they have not replied in a month or more. I sent another email to Ryan Hall their warranty manager letting him know the boat is not exactly getting good approval ratings from all the neighboring boat owners at the marina, but he has not responded. I think the company is hurting.

Yeah, even though I paid $140k for the boat, I can live with certain things, but poor response from the manufacturer on obvious poor build quality on significant issues is not acceptable or respectable.

I even found brass and stainless steel hardware in the bottom of my bilge, had I not noticed that, those components could have burned holes through my hull eventually. I just don't think there is any quality control at the company, nobody checking to make sure folks are doing their jobs right and making sure components work when before the boat ships.

Trim tabs not working for example? I worked with Bennett tech support myself and replaced a bad switch and a bad selenoid. It seems to me this could have been detected at the factory, like so many other things.

If the manufacturer was responsive, responsible and took care in the assembly of these otherwise great boats, I would have no problem repairing a thing or two, but repainting zolatone because somebody didn't put a few cents worth of sealant really chaps me. What is worse is the harbercraft knows they screwed up and said they'd fix it and then reneged. That is pitiful.

Who do they think buy these boats, people that will just write off 140k? They have these new big kingfishers they want to sell now, what incentive do I have to move up or recommend one of those expensive behemoths to my friends?

I don't know what they are thinking.

Wow, $140K and that list of woe?

Definitely off of my future list also...

Tell them that you are spreading the word about the poor quality you have experienced.

Disgusting.

I have a 2007 2525 kingfisher with absolutely no problems - boat is fantastic and has exceeded our expectations for seaworthiness, durability, etc. I would purchased again in a heartbeat.

You must have had a greenie building it or some short-cuts were taken - regardless both the local dealer and Harbercraft should work to rectify your problems. These boats come with a lifetime hull warranty - surely they need to do better. We have been very impressed with the build and integrity of our boat - handles the water great.

I'd call Harbercraft and your local dealer and show them this thread - they need to understand how powerfull the internet is - they can't pull this @!@@!#! on people anymore and expect to get away with it. Boats sell on word of mouth.

Wow, I'm honestly shocked. I have a '06 2825 and have experienced none of these problems. I couldn't be happier with the boat itself. I have about 400 hours on mine. All the boats I have owned are kind of like all the houses I have owned. There are always little things to be taken care of when brand new. This, however, sounds like a bit more than that. I hope the dealer (AMDS?) and Harbercraft stand up straight. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by whatablast View Post
    I've had a few other issues like a leaking rear steering pump, 12 volt refrigerator never wired properly, rear inspection hatches leaking etc.
    After making all these various repairs myself I did learn about the boat. I never took it back to the dealer, just to much trouble and it probably wouldn't have been repaired anyway.

All this mickey mouse stuff aside I do enjoy the boat and have been happy since completing the repairs. I've made many other upgrades, installed all my electronics, fuel management system, anchor winch, another heater and on and on. Bottom line I decided to make the repairs and never look back, enjoy the boat and simply take care of problems and never take the boat in for repairs. It's not right, however I'm alot happier not fighting with the manufacture and dealer. Life's just to short.
    I agree it’s often easier to do the repairs yourself then drag your boat down to the dealer….and the job gets done right.
    To bad you had to fix so many factory oversights, every boat seems to have a few. Sounds like you’re still relatively happy with the boat, that’s a big plus.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I've never had any complaint about the seaworthiness of my boat at all. I've been through some nasty stuff and come out with nothing more than a missing anchor (my fault) and a broken transom door hinge (not critical). I have never been in a situation where I feared my boat would not get me home.

One problem I'm faced with is the dealer doesn't care anymore about me or harbercraft, they have stopped carrying their boats. The new dealer in the area is not involved, except they did the warranty work on the bulkhead and through hull. I have dealt directly with Ryan Hall at harbercraft and he was initially responsive on the first claim but has dropped off the map now as far as fixing the zolatone after acknowleging it was their fault and saying they were going to fix it. They do not respond to me now.

I have fixed or am in the process of fixing the other things on the boat, I can live with little things, and I have even tried sraying zolatone myself, but it's hard stuff to deal with. I'm handy, but it takes a professional to apply that stuff.

In the process of prepping the boat for respraying, I discovered a deep pit on the transom that was filled with bondo. I was surprised to find these boats have bondo in them, or at least mine does. I've talked to other guys who think that painting an aluminum boat is a mistake and the only reason they do it is to hide less than professional work. I don't know whether to believe that or not, but there is at least some evidence of that on my boat.

In either case, I agree that somebody should be doing something, but it appears that nothing will be done. If they were to step forward and make good on it then I would certainly post something saying they did so.

These may be "premium" boats, but I think I got a "friday" boat. I work with a canadian guy who says he isn't surprised by all this, that the guys that they hire to assemble boats etc know they can go out and get another job somewhere else tomorrow for what they get paid, and if not then the government is there to support them anyway. There is no incentive to meet expectations more or less. I also don't know for sure if this is the case, it's certainly an opinion, but maybe he's right too.

I'll certainly be much more wary of any canadian products I purchase in the future, and based on my current situation I don't think I'd recommend to my friends who really like my boat that they should have one of their own.

Heath,

I have been in this situation before, albeit not with Harbercraft.

I would by-pass Ryan and go right to the top - send a letter or call Byron Bolton (Pres and CEO) of Harbercraft directly and explain your situation (main number: 1-888-545-9171) - this approach should get some action and positive results - his company's future is heavily weighted to customer satisfaction and word-of-mouth.

It sounds like you're not in Anchorage but in some other location - so I don't know how best to involve your local dealer. At this point, I would let Byron take care of it.

I had a major engine problem on a vehicle and could not get anywhere through the routine channels. I finally said forget it - I'm done - and called the CEO of a top automobile manufacturer and left a voice mail explaining my situation. I got his name and number via the Internet. It took a week or so, but I got a call back from their executive office and 3 weeks later my issue was resolved fairly and equitably.

Good luck - we've all been in your situation.

Default All new boats have to many problems

I've had a 28 footer and still have a 30 footer, I've experienced many of the same problems on my first one,
    The 30 is bare bones, so not much to go wrong,I have 2065 hours on it with out to many problems, a few cracked welds,some paint peeling where the rail is attached.

Would I buy another one? nope......I think they're to concerned about looks and grind to much of their welds off. keep an eye on your deck around the fish boxes and your swim step near the motor mounting plate. if you have out boards.

Call Byron 250 558 7558

This is all great information, on one hand I'm happy to hear I'm not the only one that is having issues, on the other hand it's disturbing to hear there are so many others - and folks with worse issues...

Thanks for the information, I don't know if harbercraft will respond to my emails or phone calls anymore, they appear to be ignoring me. I guess they don't like hearing bad news and having to deal with it, but if they want to survive into the future in this realm of bigger boats they are going to have to get with it. There is too much competition for them to ignore the people who buy their products. A bad reputation comes on way too quickly.

I don't want bad things to come to harbercraft, but if they want to do business with customers in the US they need to learn what it means to be "premium", that usually indicates higher quality and less issues. My friends who bought premium US made boats are not having even close to the same issues. They like my boat but they shake their heads when they look at it.

Thanks everyone for your comments and contribution of information. We'll see if the CEO has any interest in bringing respect to his brand.

Heathjohnson

Was your boat made in the US or Canada??

I beliieve mine was USA.

When I purchased my 2825 in '06 the salesman (AMDS) told me the hulls were laid in the US and then shipped to BC for the build up. The reasoning was so if someone wanted to put the boat into charter service in the US it would comply with current regulations. I don't charter so it didn't concern me. I don't even know if it's true or not. He may have just been trying to sell a boat. Heath, I am interested in the other heater you installed. I'm thinking of putting in one of those Airtronic D4's. My floor and cuddy berth get kind of chilly in the winter. The Wallas heat doesn't "get there".

[QUOTE=Captain T;609380]......I think they're to concerned about looks and grind to much of their welds off. keep an eye on your deck around the fish boxes and your swim step near the motor mounting plate. if you have out boards.

Captain T:

There is no reason to grind down a weld unless it’s a bad weld and they are trying to hide there poor welding. The reason welds crack in boats is because of poor design.

As far as I know my boat was made completely in Canada. My understanding was that there was an aluminum based industry (of what sort I don't recall) that went defunct and left many welders/craftsmen without work, so a new industry (boat building) formed to take advantage of both the availability of aluminum and the craftsmen in BC. That is about all I heard, but never heard any of the boats were made in the US.

I have not had any weld failures and I hope I don't have any. All my issues so far have been in the assembly of the boat, quality control and correct installation of componentry and features. I do have twin outboards and frequent rough waters, so I'm hoping the swim platform can handle the weight, horsepower and heavy seas combination. It's rated for 450 horse and I have less than that, I'll cross my fingers.

Homertime, I know what you mean about the cuddy getting cold. The pilothouse can be cooking with the wallas but not much of that heat makes it down below and it makes for a cold nights' sleep. If I'm at a marina I have an electric heater that I plug in that blows below. it's a nuisance because it's a little loud when it turns on and wakes you up if you're a light to normal sleeper. When I'm anchored somewhere remote I plug in a 12v fan that blows warm air from the pilothouse down into the cuddy. I have explored other options but found the best solution for now is invest in good quality sleeping bags...

I also had a canvas guy custom make insulated window covers that make a remarkable difference. They cost me $800 but block UV from the pilothouse, keeps it cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. They also give you privacy when tied up at a marina. The windows that he couldn't put in snaps he used suction cups. Worked great and I recommend for any boat.

I would bet a box of beer it was a show boat. Behind schedule and had to be at the boat show. so ........ never buy the floor model and never let them show your boat.
    my 2 cents after 5 yr building the 32' cat at seasport.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast