Thread: Kenai Pen- Taxidermist?

Default Kenai Pen- Taxidermist?

Can anyone reccomend a taxidermist for a brown bear rug? Also need the skull cleaned. Closer to Homer the better.

Thanks

KK

I cant think of the guys name right now, but he is located near the brewery on the curve going down to the spit. I have seen some of his work and it looks pretty good. If you dont mind driving to Soldotna Leon Metz at Northland Furs does great work. He has been doing taxidermy for over 30 years and use to be a F&G biologist. I take everything to him. I am sure you will not be dissapointed with his work. I am off to kodiak tonight in search of my own bear, but let me know if you have any other questions.

Kenny Jones of Skulls and Bones will flesh the hide and beetle clean your skull. 260-6592, he is in Soldotna. He will also have the hide tanned. I would ask him who he recommends.

Default Kenny Jones

at skulls and bones does caping, salting, and bleaching. He does a great job at a reasonable price and he is a hell of a nice guy. I've run a lot of animals through him.

As for taxidermy, Caribou Unlimited has done all mine. If you go to the visitor center in soldotna, you will see his work. BTW, bear rugs are his specialty.

Have also used Leon Metz. Good enough work, but I presently have an issue with him using antlers that were stolen from someone I know, and displaying them on a mount. Let's just say the issue is unresolved - but the ownership of the antlers is not - they were very unique.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dipper View Post
    Have also used Leon Metz. Good enough work, but I presently have an issue with him using antlers that were stolen from someone I know, and displaying them on a mount. Let's just say the issue is unresolved - but the ownership of the antlers is not - they were very unique.
    What are you refering to? The moose antlers?

Quote Originally Posted by jtm9 View Post
    Kenny Jones of Skulls and Bones will flesh the hide and beetle clean your skull. 260-6592, he is in Soldotna. He will also have the hide tanned. I would ask him who he recommends.
    Does Kenny have an E-mail address?

Russ