Thread: Remote camera's question

Default Remote camera's question

I'm hoping someone can steer me in the right direction. I'm looking at installing 1 to 3 remote camera's at the lodge, and I need it to talk directly to my computer, and upload a picture every hour, same as Maclaren Lodge. I really like they way they do that there. What exactly do I need to buy? Would prefer remote, but could run wires to the camera if needed.

Thanks for the help!

Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

If you run remote cameras, how are you going to keep the battery and electronics working at cold temperatures with out external power?

Default Good Point

RM,
    I hear ya, and good point. I could easily go with one camera and hard wire it right into the computer room, and plug it in to the wall and computer. I would guess it would need to be mounted outside, as inside it may not be very clear.

So what do they call the camera's that just takes a picture every hour and puts it on a webpage?

Could it call a webcam?

Living @ the Top of the World in Barrow Alaska

Well I would highly recommend - contact Maclaren Lodge and see what information they would be willing to share with you. To me that is the safest bet !!

Default yep.

Okay, thanks for the insight. I will be asking Al and Sue what they have, but thought maybe I could gather some idea's here. There's probably a lot of ways to do it, and I'm nearly computer stuff ignorant. And yes, I know it's a webcam, but the research I've done looking at them doesn't show one that would automatically take a pic every 10 minutes or whatever time frame you choose, and post it to a website.

Default baby monitor

I bought a many-techno-piece baby monitor a few years ago that would take infra-red pics, transmit them back to a computer via wireless yet each camera plugged in the wall, they had both outside and inside cameras, and the computer would transmit to the web with periodic still pictures or streaming audio and video too.

Wasn't that expensive. So, Have you searched for a decently high end baby monitor to do your bidding? Should I go look at the label on mine and find a web site that sells it?

Sorry, I did not mean to be a smart ass, your question sounded like you did not know what a webcam was called.

I put “buy a webcam” and “security camera system in Google and found information on webcam, software, driver, etc, hope this help.

If you are going to have pictures downloaded every 10 min. I’m guessing you would need unlimited downloading or it going to cost a lot of money.

I would think a alarm system that would alert you there is a problem and cameras, via internet would be better.

Default Moultrie game spy

Moultrie Game Spy® Infrared Digital Cameras and GPS Connect Modem
    found this on Cabela's website or
    http://www.buckeyecam.com/main/

Default Mobi wireless cam

http://www.amazon.com/MobiCam-70004-...979899&sr=8-14

Their software lets you auto post a new image to the Internet every X seconds, or stream a movie if your bandwidth will support it. It also lets you view the camera's image from a pc in your home, and even set an alarm that goes off on your computer if any object in the image moves; like if a moose walks into view in front of your place there.

And you can go retrieve some still pictures after the alarm goes off before that disk space is re-used, so it would be possible to make a "best of" collection.

Lots of different cams and receivers offered too. Its kinda cool. This is that baby cam I mentioned earlier; its just they've expanded into outdoor cams too now.