Thread: Ruger 77/44 stainless bolt?

Default Ruger 77/44 stainless bolt?

Does anyone have any experience with this rifle? Was it accurate, has any taken any game with it or any 44 mag rifle? I am thinking of getting it for my 7 yr son for his first deer gun. I figure it would work great on black tail but how about caribou or even moose?
    Thanks in advance.
    http://www.ruger-firearms.com/produc...744/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Ak Fireman View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with this rifle? Was it accurate, has any taken any game with it or any 44 mag rifle? I am thinking of getting it for my 7 yr son for his first deer gun. I figure it would work great on black tail but how about caribou or even moose?
    Thanks in advance.
    http://www.ruger-firearms.com/produc...744/index.html
    I've no experience with that particular model, but Ruger guns are generally well built and very functional. I've used the 44 for whitetail deer hunting and it is a good cartridge for deer within it's range limitations. I'd have no reservations with it for blacktails or 'bou at appropriate ranges. It will absolutely kill moose with the right bullet and proper shot placement, but it would not be among my first choices. It's great advantage, especially for a young shooter, is the ability to shoot it a lot for little $. You can save even more $ if you reload for it.

IMO for deer most jacketed bullets 240 grains and heavier will work fine. For 'bou and even bigger critters I would stay with 300+ grain lead bullets designed for hunting.

Default neat

I really don't have experience with that firearm. My go-to rifle is a m-77 and it is one durable and well loved iron. I think my daughter would like having that particular firearm.

I'm interested.....thats for sure.

northern n.y. and much of the eastern U.S.

Default That's a tight lookin' rig..!

The 44 Mag in a rifle is a real "sleeper."

Now, I do not own that rifle (although I would be happy too), but those rotary magazines are very nice, and a 44 bolt gun, I would think it would be an incredable rifle.

I am a big 45 Colt fan (in the Ruger Blackhawk). The 44 is right there, and it will push cast bullets through a lot of animal mass, penetration will be beyond expectation.

I say go for it, and if you are not satisfied, send me a PM... Christmas isn't far off.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    I've no experience with that particular model, but Ruger guns are generally well built and very functional. I've used the 44 for whitetail deer hunting and it is a good cartridge for deer within it's range limitations. I'd have no reservations with it for blacktails or 'bou at appropriate ranges. It will absolutely kill moose with the right bullet and proper shot placement, but it would not be among my first choices. It's great advantage, especially for a young shooter, is the ability to shoot it a lot for little $. You can save even more $ if you reload for it.

IMO for deer most jacketed bullets 240 grains and heavier will work fine. For 'bou and even bigger critters I would stay with 300+ grain lead bullets designed for hunting.

I am not 100 percent sure, but I believe that the rotary magazine on these will not accept alot of bullets over 265grs. That could throw a wrench in your moose shooting gears but moose have been killed with less, and I would imagine you would be fairly close by to offer assistance if needed.

I have a friend back home who started all 3 of his kids deer hunting with one of the little Ruger autoloading 44 carbines. Those three kids all had great luck with that little carbine, as long as they kept their shots on this side of 100yds. Also if I remember correctly they used the Federal 185 HP load.

Either way it should make a good first deer gun and I'm sure he'll be proud to have it. Ought to shine in the baitstand as well if you guys have one.

Default sleeper!

I have never owned or used a 44 mag rifle, but my Dad did. He was cow boss at the Gang ranch in the late 60s. He was fresh out of the cow camps of Oregon and California when he took that job and didnt know a bear rifle from a deer rifle! In his years there he killed 7 big coastal grizzlys with that gun and one of them is still #16 in the province of BCs record book. He never reloaded and the gun he used was the 44 semi. I have always been suspisious of mathmaticial formulas, some on here will tell you a 45/70 wont penetrate at long range, and even give you math formulas to prove it! yet I shot a moose a hunter had wounded at a ranged 400 yards and shot right through him breaking one rib on the way out! So yea I think that 44 would be a dandy, if they made it in left hand I would have one!!