Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what do you think of the Tundra LT V-800 RF platform?

Default what do you think of the Tundra LT V-800 RF platform?

i was thinking about getting a 09' Tundra LT V-800, what do you guys think of that sled? any owners out there? how well does it ride, can it water-skip, bookdock, haul wood, powder? ECT...

I would not want it.......I would get the SUV or SWT if I wanted a V-800. I like the Tundra LT with the 550 Fan, and wish I would have got one last year. I have a Love/Hate relationship with the V-800. I love the smooooooth, steady, super strong power all the way through the power range from bottom to top. But what a Tank, and now I have to "suck" the oil out.

Default Heavy!!

I agree. This is one heavy sled. Love the mileage, the quietness, the smoothness. When it gets stuck, get eh come-a-long out your going to be there a while. Id go with the 550F myself.

Default I've got one

I got a Tundra LT V-800 for last year for my wife. I like the way it rides, gas mileage, quiet, sweet power curve. Yeah it's heavy, but every sled I have is heavy because I like work sleds and not pretty-boy sleds.

Anyway - my gipes with it are overheating. Ski-doo didn't test this puppy out in the real world before they started selling it. It overheats way too quickly. I've had it overheat in 15 F and on a powder covered trail. That's unacceptable. So - I'm getting a radiator with cooling fan kit this year. Wish the sled was designed right in the first place so I didn't have to throw more money at it.

My other gripe is the windshield. Way too low-profile for a utility/sport sled. It makes for a VERY cold ride when the temp goes negative F. Your chest and neck get wind-chilled to the max. So - I'll be spending more cash to upgrade the windshield.

Besides the overheating and windshield issues - I like the sled and plan on keeping it for a long time (assuming the radiator fixes the cooling issue).

Default haha

yeah, thats a really good point, i think thats my next sled to get when I get outta school. my trail rmk 550 is geared to high and basically meant for "pretty boys" ha, i like how you put that, anyways, i'll have the cooling thing in mind when I first get one, thanx. besides, i want something that doesn't guzzle gas and can haul a sled-full of meat and wood. Perfect!

Default '07 tundra 800

agree with windshield being too small.
    agree it's heavy (really like reverse)
    overall best sled i ever owned. started up instantly with the turn of a key (10 below).
    idle'd noiselessly
    ran through it's paces pushing 80 on straightaways. great power throughout range.
    gas tank is still mostly full
    it never burns any oil.

I have the 550 great sled without any issues. Definitely not a pretty boy and I work my sled hard! I've yet to find anything it couldn't haul.....personally I think the 800 is the sled of choice for those who are compensating for there own short comings.

(Those who fling poo had better learn to duck!)
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Default yup

you say you have the tundra 550? hows the gearing compared to the 09' rmk? i heard the rmk is geared higher, i think i wanna gear it down a tad... i dont know, just got the rmk last year spring.

Never rode a rmk so I can't voice an opinion.....sorry.
    BHA Member
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

I've got an 01 800 RMK and my friend has an 06 Skandic 550F (big brother to the tundra). These are totally different machines designed for totally different uses.

We will often go on late night grooming runs from our cabins to the parking lot and back. He can pull a grooming drag that really pushes around a lot of snow and can do it going 3 mph. I can't pull that drag without burning a belt and I can't even go 3mph! I pulll a much less agressive groomer and have to sit and watch the northern lights while letting him get ahead.

Of course, when we switch to Pretty-Boy mode and go ride in the mountains for fun, my RMK is the sled to be on.

Gearing is something that can be changed quickly and fairly cheaply...but if you need a Tundra buy one....if you need an RMK buy one of those. They are totally different sleds with different intended uses.

And RickP..you haven't tried hard enough For pure hauling and towing..nothing beats weight. The machines has to weigh a bunch to get enough traction to get things moving. I was astounded at how much weight a 660 Turbo Bearcat could get moving..but I'd sure hate to get it stuck.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default Gear down

You should be able to gear down your Trail RMK to do what you want. I have had one since 03 and love it. It is my trapping, hauling, do everything machine. I didn't gear down, but thought about it. The 03 is on a different chassis than the new Trail RMK's though and is much narrower, so I REALLY like what it does. The newer Trail RMK's ride much better. My next machine is the Skidoo 800 in SWT. I sure do like the Skidoo 550 GTX also.

Default horsepower

whats the horsepower on this sled anyways?

pure junk!
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by jechuck91 View Post
    i was thinking about getting a 09' Tundra LT V-800, what do you guys think of that sled? any owners out there? how well does it ride, can it water-skip, bookdock, haul wood, powder? ECT...
    I think that sled is a BIG sled. They should rename it a skandic.....and just completely remove the word tundra. When people used to think of a tundra......they thought......the lightest and most fuel efficient sled you could find.....not to mention simple. when will they ever come back with a nice 250-300 cc single thumper??

They did have a 300cc tundra that ran and hauled great! Discontinued in 2010. I'll be getting a used one for the wife.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    BHA Member

AKDoug

Seriously? Dude 154 inches of half inch paddles is more than enough traction to get just about anything moving! Especially with my fat ass in the saddle. Ok maybe if you wanted a sled for only hauling weight, like maybe if you made back country cabins for a living. But that is not what a tundra is designed for. The tundra is a all around, go anywhere, haul **** near anything and have a blast doing it sled. If all I did was haul I'd get a skandic and be bored to death hauling stuff. If all I did was trails I'd get a big old cruiser and be bored to death on the trails. If all I did was hill climb I'd get a summit and kill myself with it. Fact is I do all that and more on my 550f. The 800 is overkill in the tundra and adds too much weight without any gain.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    BHA Member

I bought a Tundra 550 Long Track this year. This is the first machine I have had for quite a few years and it is totally different than my old ones. It is much tipsier than my old low slung sleds but it rides over the rough stuff like a Cadillac. I fell over on the Tundra right in my front yard and I soon realized it requires more body English than my old machines but that is OK. I love the reverse feature and electric start. I DON'T like the lower windshield which directs the wind right into my face. I was out on a trapline with friends at minus 20 and it was cold. I am having trouble finding a full face helmet that is big enough for my gourd. The xxx large is still too small. It has more than enough power at all ranges and I am very pleased with that.

I have the 300F (2007) and the 550F (2008) Tundras. I have hauled many loads with both machines. I have a short distance, 2.5 miles, and a pretty smooth path (across a lake and a short jaunt into the trees). I figure for the money, that I can play and haul with what I have. YMMV.

Personally, I can think of no reason for a 800 Tundra. I rode a friends 800 Summit and it feels almost exactly the same as my 550 except it would be hard to hold onto while boondocking. It has too much power and not enough floatation.

You might be surprised what the little 300 F will do. The beams are over 20 feet long and 6" X 12". I had to hold it at less than 1/2 throttle and took them in at 30 MPH or so.

Plus what Rick said in his last post.

Mike

Default i can think of a reason

the reason why im looking for a tundra 800 is becouse of the milage, and the fact that it is a good workhorse at a low rpm range, that it has 2 gears, one for hauling heavy loads, and one to just ride and save alot of gas. quiet, and becouse the four-stroke doesnt need as much maintanance and care as a 2-atroke.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast