Thread: winter king derby

Default winter king derby

Ok I can't wait any longer to start asking questions on this topic it is less than 4 months away.
    Who here on the sight fishes the winter king derby in Homer? it lookes like a good time. I know nothing about any of it so any info as to where to fish? do you use down riggers? what bait :] I pretty much am a total newbie with it but would like to hook up with some one to learn the ways of the fishermans force. I have my own boat so at least I do have that much. It has 2 cannon digital down riggers that I have never used. By the way my boat is pretty much a new purchase to me I sold my bayliner for the new craft. It seems to be a nice little boat I just want to try new things with it. I have spent 2 years playing around seward so now I am looking to expand to new fishing, boating adventures and this may be the first this year. http://homeralaska.org/kingsalmon/king-salmon.htm so anyone out there :]

Default derby

Most people use downriggers and herring. But seeing that there is big bucks in this tournament that's all I'm saying. :-)
    Probably won't get much out of anyone else either...

Question

Seawolf pm me and I'll give you the basic set-ups, depths and locations for fishing Salmon in Homer.
    Frank
    Alaska Wildrose Charters and Cabins
    www.wildroselodge.com

Default ok i'm ready

Ok i'm dragging up my old post and i'm ready. Me and my daughter are going to be there to slay and have fun. it is a bit early for me to bring out my boat as I'm pretty new to all this so I'm looking for a charter boat or what ever to be a part of. I may even have one other willing to go but not for sure right now but as for me and the kid we are in it is my 2 weeks off from the slope. So if anyone needs spots filled please let me know b4 monday as i'm off for the slope for 3 weeks then.

Smile Little help please

I'm with you Seawolf. I am also planning on fishing the derby. It will be my 6th year, but I am clueless when it comes to trolling. Last year I caught my first troll king. It was only 22 pounds, but after the years of no fish, it was great! My partner is an old troller, but he has yet to catch a fish in the derby. They must have been dumber fish 50 years ago in Juneau!

How about it guys (homerdave could chime in), could you help out a couple of neophytes? I hope to get down there a couple of days early to practice and scout. That will be me with the binoculars seeing what everyone else is doing.
    Profishguide, I sent you a PM.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

I've never fished the tournament either but think this year might be my first. I'm a fly fisher for the most part and seldom use bait or do much trolling. I have a smaller 18' Sea Runner with a 40 HP so I will have to stay in fairly close. I was thinking about the bluff area off the city of Homer. Has this are produced much in the past tournaments? Now I know there are some serious tournament fishers out there that do not want to give up any secrets, but some VERY general insite sure would be appreciated for us newbees. I don't plan on catching as much as I plan on learning the ropes this first year. Sure hope for nice weather as I don't have a heated cabin like you big boys do...
    Take Care & Stay Safe
    Ron

Default Location

Most people fish the bluffs and by Seldovia. If in doubt, just look for all the other boats...

Thumbs up Get an exposure suit

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Fly Guy View Post
    I have a smaller 18' Sea Runner...Sure hope for nice weather as I don't have a heated cabin...
    Ron
    Ron, this will be my first year in a cabin.
    For the years of running my 18' Bayrunner, I invested in a full Mustang suit and it was a blessing. Even on snowy derby days, it was nice to sit in warmth. See what they have on e-bay, they are worth the money just for the safety, the warmth is the return on your investment.
    Kevin
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Default Homer Winter Kings Yummy

I'm not much on eating salmon to often, but winter kings or white kings are a fish of a different taste.
    One can fish around 60 foot rock and back into Sadie Cove or Tuka Bay and stay out of bad winds. But you still need to watch as since you are protected there don't mean it's not building up out front. Came out once to 15 foot seas, opps.
    Need to fish deep trolling hearing check that it spins as it looks like a hurt fish

I have been trying to get down there for years to fish the derby. Maybe this year if my buddy gets his new boat this week we can make it. I caught a small white king last spring and it tasted like a pink. It was suggested to me that if I remove the gills right away they will taste much better. That fish was caught by the glacer spit.