Thread: Another dumb question!

Default Another dumb question!

I see post about charging grizzly's and what gun to use.
    Here goes! Don't laugh. If someone were being charged by a grizzly, would it be possible to stop one with a 22cal long rifle. How many rounds would it take to stop one?

No. Would it be possible to kill one with a .22? Maybe, with perfect shot placement. But stopping one that is charging you? Impossible, as far as I'm concerned.

-Brian

Reminds me of 2 gals who once asked me if taking two .22's camping would be as good as one .44.....true story .."well .22 + .22 = .44, why wouldn't that work?"

Odd I never heard back on how that trip went..<grin>

I'd have to agree with BM...That said if anyone ever did drop a charging grizz with a .22 I would recommend that they IMMEDIATELY buy a lottery ticket....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

I once read one of the largest bears ever shot in Alaska was shot by an older native woman. She watched the bear walk towards her and when it got along side of her she shot it in the ear with her 22LR and it hit the brain and the bear dropped dead.
    But certaintly it was a one in a million shot. Be absolutely fool hardy to attemtp to stop one with a 22LR
    Tennessee

ya, you could do it. nothing is impossible. improbable yes, but possible...yes.
    bears skull is bone like everything else, if his head is dropped just a bit that exposes the top of his skull, which is prett flat when its pointed right at you, if you could get one little slug to enter that spot, he'd die. same with his spine, as his head is down his neck up to his hump is usually exposed if you can get a bullet into his spine he'll stop, may not be dead, but he'll stop.
    Another shot most folks never talk about, for good reason. when he's pointed right at you, you can push a coat hanger up hise nose and into his brain. no reason a .22 can't do the same thing. put it up his nostrels and it'll tickle the back of his head.
    again, i don't recommend practicing any of this, its all theory and speculation. and you'd be stupid to think you could pull it off, unless you've got at least two or three bear charges under you belt and know how the situation "usually" goes.

If all I had was a .22, and a grizz was on an all out charge for blood, I'd shoot myself.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

One documented incident. Joe Zentner, the long-time Kodiak rancher stopped one with a single shot from his Colt Woodsman. Shot it in the corner of the eye and the bullet ranged back into the brain. What the story doesn't tell you is that Joe got the pistol when he was a very young man and carried it all his long life. He couldn't even tell you when the sights fell off, but gone they were. Yet he still shot it better than anyone else I've ever seen with any handgun. Puts new meaning on the term "point and shoot." There's a lot of truth to the old saying "Beware the man with one gun."

Talking

Maybe with this 22?

http://www.montysminiguns.com/brian.htm

Not very practical.

Default 22 on a brownie

TWB
    what would you do if you didn't have even a 22 - try to swallow your tongue & choke to death before the bear got to you? sorry, I couldn't help myself.

up the nose, thru an eye, into the ear canal, straight up between the jaw bones (mandibles) should work too - relitively thin bone between the roof of the mouth & the brain. only problem is that most of these shots are going to involve extreme luck. (maybe we could produce a new reality tv show called "extreme luck") count on being real close & figure on getting a couple of scratches yourself.

read an account of an old Kodiak fisherman who needed a bear hide. shot a 10 footer from his skiff as it walked the beach. one shot - 22 lr, behind the shoulder. rowed back to the boat, made & ate breakfast & a couple of hours later went ashore & skinned out his bear. I'm sure lots of bears have been killed using a 22 rimfire. I doubt many were one shot kills, & I doubt many bears piled up after being hit.
    can it be done - no doubt.
    would I like to try it - no way.
    would I use a 22 if it was all I had - durn right.
    Gary

Default answer to question

If you shot until you shot all but one, shoot yourself, and you would probably need about a bunch more. Heck, a couple of years ago, a 56 year old man with a pocket knife, killed one in self defense. How many time you thing he got munched on while stabing it 56 times? Probably the same.

Default Bears

Do you walk around in bear country with a 22? There is a guy in Anchorage that owns a concrete finishing company that stabbed a bear to death that was attacking him. Do you think he would go back in to bear country with a 22? He got roughed up pretty good.

Post Sounds dangerous

I guess you could but that bullet would have to hit perfect...
    You can kill a elephant with a 22 (if you hit the brain),so i guess it could work, but in a charge i dont know i think you are in trouble with a 22 in that situation

Quote Originally Posted by jrfrmn View Post
    Here goes! Don't laugh. If someone were being charged by a grizzly, would it be possible to stop one with a 22cal long rifle. How many rounds would it take to stop one?
    The question is easy. You use whatever gun (or knife) you have with you at the time unless you want to die without a fight. Most people don't know ahead of time when the attack will happen. A true story comes to mind.

My grandfather was a poor man who raised his own beef. The first time I saw him slaughter a cow I was about 10 years old and I was amazed. He used a small .22 rifle that us grandkids were trained on. He walked right up to the cow and shot it in the head one time then he put the little gun down. He had no intention of shooting the cow more than once. The cow staggered and flopped and my grandfather pushed the cow to the ground and it kicked for a short while then expired. Every piece of that cow was used for something and not even the bones went to waste.

I asked him why he used such a small gun instead of his deer rifle or 12 gauge. He said he couldn't afford to waste a rifle cartridge or shotgun shell. Being a dumb kid, I asked him how he knew the little .22 would kill that big ol' cow. I'll never forget what he said.

"I've killed everything from squirrels to bulls with this here gun." "Let me tell you somethin', boy. Any gun will kill anything. That's what guns are made for. They are made to kill".

I don't think that means you should plan on using a .22 for bear protection. The story just makes the point that under the right conditions, it could work. Keep in mind that the cow was domesticated and bears are wild. Personally, I would stay out of bear country until I had a suitable gun. Your odds of stopping a charging brown or griz with a .22LR would be no greater than 1 in one million.
    Last edited by WinMag_300; 12-08-2006 at 11:04.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. - Henry David Thoreau

Talking .22s

Quote Originally Posted by svehunter View Post
    I guess you could but that bullet would have to hit perfect...
    You can kill a elephant with a 22 (if you hit the brain),so i guess it could work, but in a charge i dont know i think you are in trouble with a 22 in that situation
    Actually, in Capstick's books they talk about this. The person shot the elephant in the heart through the thin skin behind the front leg as the front leg moved forward while it walked. The bullet put a hole through the big arteries of the heart and it bled out.

.22's are used in Alaska to shoot your partner in the knee while you're both running from the bear.

Post Its All about bullet placement

Quote Originally Posted by Bill S. View Post
    Actually, in Capstick's books they talk about this. The person shot the elephant in the heart through the thin skin behind the front leg as the front leg moved forward while it walked. The bullet put a hole through the big arteries of the heart and it bled out.

.22's are used in Alaska to shoot your partner in the knee while you're both running from the bear.
    HaHa shoot your partners knees
    Its amazing that you can kill the worlds largest land animal with such a small cartridge as the 22Lr,its all about bullet placement!

I agree shot placement is everything on this topic. Talking about what someone might do in this situation and being in it and having to react is totally different.
    Practicing is not an option.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Talking

I dont know a .22 is pretty light , maybe try the .22 mag its got more POP..
    LOVE MY LITTLE SKULL CLEANERS

Question I guess the point is, you just never know...

Quote Originally Posted by jrfrmn View Post

Shooting any animal with a small or large bore weapon can be tricky. A few years ago I was fishing an area frequented by black bears...carried my S&W 44mag revolver with hollow point sj/cartridges. After an uneventful day of fishing I started the long walk home. Ran across a wounded dog around 50lb's or so. The animal was dying so I quickly decided to put it out of it's misery...little did I know. I hit the dog between the eyes putting it down for about 5 seconds. The dog didn't know he was supposed to be dead and made a mad dash right at me! I shot twice more putting the animal down for good. I guess the point is, you just never know.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/newreply.php?do=postreply&t=6679.

Default Funny story

Too many years ago to count I was called by a friend that had bought a steer that weighed about 800 - 1000 lbs and he asked me to meet him at the farm and shoot it for him.
    Well, this was going to be one of my "first" big game kills so I grabbed my biggest rifle ( 6mm Rem ) and headed out! He forgot a couple details that
    A. it was going to be about a 20 foot shot in a pen and
    B. there were 2 other steers in the same pen.
    OK, so I had concerns on shot placement as I had never shot a rifle at this range - waited for a good side angle and took the big boy between the eye and ear. Dropped him to his knee's for maybe 15 seconds then he just plopped over. However, that was just the beginning of the rodeo as the other 2 steers made brand new openings in the wood pen they were held in!
    What a hoot - I was in tears as I drove away watching the "boyz" chase them crazed cattle off into standing cornfields!!!