Thread: 17' Alaskan Wooldridge Advice

Default 17' Alaskan Wooldridge Advice

I'm thinking of buying a 17' Wooldridge jet boat w/115 Jet. I'm looking for your experience with this boat in skinny water. Is this a good boat for tight rivers in AK?

Any problems with the welds?

Thanks

Default Wooldridge jet boat

Wooldridge is an excellent choice,for a river boat. I never had any wild problems with mine. Rock solid, boat.
    M.

I agree with M, this would be an excellent choice. Don't think you'll have problems with the welds, Wooldridge makes a very good boat. Give Wooldridge a call if you have questions, I've talked with Glenn Wooldridge several times and he is quite the conversationalist. I own an Alumiweld but bought a four blade stainless impeller directly from Wooldridge.
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

You can't go wrong with that setup. A good friend of mine has that setup and I have been in some situations with him where we were bracing for the hit and never touched. Very skinny water boat with great handling.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Default Woolridge Alaskan

The boat is great for skinny water running, handles like a race car on rails in the corners. My friend runs a Yamaha 115 jet on his 17.5' Alaskan and scoots up the Talkeetna in spots that are 3-4" deep with both of us on board and a couple 100#'s of gear. My Alumaweld will run 4-5" depending on load but he's got me beat when it comes to the skinny water. The hulls are extremely tough, sides are short though. I wouldn't want it in any sort of rough water like the ocean as the flat bottom will beat the sense out of ya!
    Also, his new 4 stroke Yamaha sips fuel compared to mine, gotta love that w/the gas prices this summer.
    BK

How much do these boats sell for? It looks like a very nice boat.

I have a 2006 Alaskan with a 115 Suzuki. It has turned some heads when sliding by on step in the shallows. When it has run aground, we just get out and walk it off most times. Rough water is a no no. Lake louise got a bit rough and I had to plow across as it was beating us up on step. No problems

If you are serious about purchasing one look at all the options available. I got a swim step for getting in/out easier. It works great for cleaning the jet out!!!! I also got the head lights. Only used once and they paid for themselves.

If I had it to do again I would look at a suspension seat for the driver, outrigger mounts and DUAL BATTERIES with an isolator.

PM me if you have any specific questions.

Talking Wooldridge Alaskan

I was down at Wooldridge boats last year and got to run the new Alaskan 17 with a Yamaha 115. Great little boat, corners like no other boat with a 9deg bottom, you can run very, very skinny water and still make a 90 with out worrying if you are going to end up on the bank. You kind of get the NO FEAR style of driving habit, lots of room to fish since they made it a bit wider. I believe it is one of the best selling boats they build now days.
    I took a few pics of some bare hulls a 20.5 Alaskan II and a sport 2000. The Alaskan and the sport series uses the large 2by2 T6061 stringers like the inboards use, and the Alaskan II uses the top hat style and a few 2by2 T6061 since they try and keep the weight down and still keep the hull strength they are known for.
    I think a stock 17 Alaskan with a Yamaha 4strk 115 was at last years boat show for $ 27,000.00 top,3ft bench seats with 2 swivel seats up front, trailer, load guides, and turn key ready to go. They have lots of options to really make them a nice boat for AK.

Thumbs up Wooldridge Alaskan

Here is a picture of the Alaskan II - 20.5' hull. Second picture is a Sport 2000 - 18'

Over the Thanksgiving holiday, we fished the Skykomish for silvers and chums in a 23' Alaskan II with 150 Honda--- if you are in WA and want to go fishing with a great guide for Steelhead, Sturgeon or Salmon I would highly recommend Eli Rico with Hot Shot Guide Service!

Default Thanks for the comments

I am pretty well convinced that this is a great boat for rivers. I was just wishing to get comparisons to other sized boats and their ability to get through 3-4 inches of water. I want a skinny water boat that will beat other options hands down and at this point money is no object as many of you know who hunt in AK.

One of my concerns is that once the boat goes dry in 6 inches of water and you can't get it on step because your sucking rocks...can a guy man handle the boat or would I be better off going with a lighter weight boat and smaller outboard?

Or don't worry about it because you can winch the boat where you need to go? And the boat is better in skinny water and you won't need to winch as often because it is a Wooldridge?

Just a thought.
    Thanks for your input.

Thumbs up 17.5 Wooldridge Alaskan

Silvertip
    I think you are right on your last comment. The 17.5 Alaskan weighs 1300lbs with a Yamaha 115 4strk, so you should be able to push it right across wet gravel if need be. There should be an Alaskan to look at at the boat show Feb 1st.

Thumbs up 20' Allaskan

I have a older 20' Alaskan with a 105 jet with EZ lift and power trim.....works great in shallow water, when not loaded down with gear and moose. I also have a 9.9 Mercury Kicker with a rock hopper guard on it.
    Alaska

Thumbs up 20' Alaskan

I have a older 20' Alaskan with a 105 jet with EZ lift and power trim.....works great in shallow water, when not loaded down with gear and moose. I also have a 9.9 Mercury Kicker with a rock hopper guard on it.

I would like to put on Honda 90HP 4 stroke on it someday!
    Alaska