Thread: Gunsite Mountain man

Default Gunsite Mountain man

Has anyone heard of a old mountain man who lives out near gunsite? I have heard a few stories and would love to confirm this. Hope someone can put this legend/;myth to rest.

not here..

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

What is your IDEA of OLD.......? (Dad'burn.....Wipper'snappers.....seems the world is plum full of whippersnappers under 60)

there is a old miner that lives on caribou creek year round. nice guy.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by KUMA View Post
    Has anyone heard of a old mountain man who lives out near gunsite? I have heard a few stories and would love to confirm this. Hope someone can put this legend/;myth to rest.
    when i was a kid there was an old hermit they told storiesa about.

that Gun sight and Eureka area is full of TONS of history, dating back to the gold rush Era. the mining and prospecting was in full swing when we moved off Adak to the Valley in the mid 70's, and in those day...

you DID NOT bother, hinder, trespass, the miners,, for fear of getting shot. that was a very different crowd in them Thar hills....

but then again.. every mining community has it's old man in the mountain stories.. eh?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Mark?

If you're talking about the miner on Caribou Creek, his name is Mark and he has been living back there for about ten years.

The ol man on Alfred creek is Bones. neither mark or Bones have been out there beyond 10-15 years at most. The old Old ones, Balenger and Cameron both lived out there aroudn the end of martin Road, but both have passed many years ago. I have been up and around there sinced 79 and know of no one else that fits your quesiton
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

I ran into Mark in August while looking for sheep with a friend. He was a very friendly guy and let us stay in his cabin at the confluence of Caribou and Alfred Creek. I think he lives there year round but don't qoute me on that.

There's a fellow named Hugh that is working on the equipment at the mine in Eureka past Monument. He qualifies as a "mountain man" looking fellow- tall, rangy, long grey beard. Very nice guy.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.