Thread: closing the deal

Default closing the deal

I seem to have more succcess with leg holds than anything else. That said, I am looking for a better way than a bullet to close the deal. Its too messy. What is everyone else doing? There has to be a better way. thanks

Place a snare around the neck. Pull tight.

I seem to recall a story about Huntress getting peed on last year by a fox she was trying to dispatch. That sounds rather messy, but funny. Maybe she'll share?

smaller preditors wak em on the head with a stick then stand on there chest with the heal of your boots just make sure he's caught good first so he doesn't jump hard and pull out.
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Supporting Member

Default Dispatching

For fox size and below critters, tap them a good one across the bridge of the nose and they will be stunned and usually drop. Then, as posted earlier, stand on them behind the front leg, which collapses the heart and lungs in short order. Be careful when using this method in deep snow, as the snow will lessen the impact of your weight during compression. For some reason, this method has never worked well for me with coyotes, so I always resort to a well placed .22 for coyotes.
    Other option is a "Choke pole" using a piece of conduit/pvc pipe and a length of snare. Might not be "macho", but allows you to keep your distance from teeth and claws.

This is my prefered method with fox, and coyote and bobcats back in montana. Somtimes you'll even get a good rush out of it when they try to come back to life under your feet. Although make sure their done my partner years ago had a cat wake up and stand up in the bed of the truck but before it got anywhere he got a bullet in him
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

All good ideas and I have tried a few. Things got real interesting when there was wolverine on the end of the snare pole and he broke free of the leg hold. Ended up with a few holes in the hide from a 22. Am I the only one that has ever thought about a dart of some sort. Any ideas?

Wolverine, wolves get a .22 behind the shoulder. If you're worried about the .22lr and their damage, get some .22 shorts. I'd recommend that you NEVER try to snare pole dispatch a wolverine. ONLY bad will come out of that!

All else get the whack on the nose/step on method. Or the snare on a stick method. I prefer snare on a stick.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

I have a stick that is Y shaped, after a swift stunning smack in the middle of the eyes I place the stick around their neck pinning their head to the ground. I'm not tall or strong enough to use one foot, So I kneel down on them. Making sure my knee is directly above the heart and lungs. As mentioned in a previous post, I NOW make sure they are pointed the other direction, I did get peed on!
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Quote Originally Posted by Huntress View Post
    I have a stick that is Y shaped, after a swift stunning smack in the middle of the eyes I place the stick around their neck pinning their head to the ground. I'm not tall or strong enough to use one foot, So I kneel down on them. Making sure my knee is directly above the heart and lungs. As mentioned in a previous post, I NOW make sure they are pointed the other direction, I did get peed on!
    I bet that peed you off.

Just one of the many hazards.....

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    I bet that peed you off.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

I carry a little wooden fish bat with me and find another stick on site. I approach the critter and let him chew on the stick in my left hand that way I get a good crack with my right hand/bat in between the eyes. That killed the couple lynx I got last season no-problemo.
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan22 View Post
    I'd recommend that you NEVER try to snare pole dispatch a wolverine. ONLY bad will come out of that!
    I can vouch for this statement from personal experience, it was a small wolverine but still almost got me. Don't try it.
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

Quote Originally Posted by martyv View Post
    I can vouch for this statement from personal experience, it was a small wolverine but still almost got me. Don't try it.
    How small, marty? Give us the readers-digest version of what went down...