Thread: DC590 - 14B Caribou

Question DC590 - 14B Caribou

I'm looking through the drawing permit supplement, and I'm considering the DC590 hunt in the western Talkeetnas. I would plan to get air-dropped or fly myself (depending on how my flight training goes through the winter and whether or not I have a plane by then...) I did a little research on this forum, and did not find too much. One past thread says that a hunter flew in and still found it very crowded with not many caribou. Another hunter said he did not see any other hunters, but it was mostly because the weather was bad and shut many other folks out.

Does anybody have some experience with this hunt they would be willing to share?? Are there plenty of places to land to offer a decent hunt without being piled on top of other hunters, or is access limited to just a few landing strips where the caribou (and other hunters) are most likely to be? I have absolutely no problem with hiking several miles away from a strip, especially if the landing strips are higher up and out of the thicker and wetter tundra.

Keep in mind that I am weighing this against another trip up the Haul Road, which I will do if I don't get drawn or decide not to apply for the 14B hunt. If I get the impression that DC590 has a lower likelihood of finding caribou and a higher likelihood of running into other hunters, I will probably opt to just go up the Dalton.

Thanks for any advice.

-Gr
    My signature is awesome.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

that is a hard hunt always has been ...

the bou are spread out. and difficult to locate
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

This is a difficult hunt only from the aspect of access. If you have a plane or are being dropped off your chances are really good. Their are also atv access points but these are tough to get out of anyone that knows them. With a little patience and a plane you could actually get a very nice bull.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskantrapper View Post
    Their are also atv access points but these are tough to get out of anyone that knows them. .
    I know a secret ....
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Yea me too..... I happen to be married into a family who's been up there 30 years......
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

I also know the secret.

Because Roger told me, he canít keep a secret.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutting Moose View Post
    I also know the secret.

Because Roger told me, he canít keep a secret.
    Hey now!!! You know what happens in Talkeetna stays in.......Oh never mind I forgot the first four letters T.A.L.K.
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

This is a hunt I have been interested in as well and have applied previously with no luck. Think I will go ahead and put in for it again once never knows. From what I have found you can either fly in or take atvs if you can find the trail heads or have a friend that knows them. seems to be some good sized bulls back in there with the chance of a grizz or maybe a blackie as well.
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.