Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: more Kodiak brownie success

Default more Kodiak brownie success

I joined this fourm this fall to find out about DB222 (uganik bay) Thank you Brwnbr for giving me Dick Roher's name I called him and he gave me good Info that I am sure Helped in my success. I moved to AK at the age of 9. one of my first memories of moving to AK was looking at a large kodiak bear in a glass case and thinking to myself some day I am going to get one of those. I turn 45 this month. This hunt is the realization of a 36 year dream. Thanks Dad for making that move 36 years ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images

congrats! glad to see someone follow thru on a great tag like that and not waste it! see what happens with a little legwork!! nice job! on the beach even...ahhhh livin' the dream!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Super nice bear, well done and congrats!!

Congratulations........looks wet.

Pretty bear...I like the dark chocolate legs....Good job on a tough hunt!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

very pretty bear.... so what the rest of the story?

any crazy hurdels jump in your way? logistic or gear faliures to pass on?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Beautiful bear, congrats. Did you do guided or unguided?

Congrats on fulfilling your 36 year long quest! Would love to hear more about the hunt and dimensions on that bear.

Congrats on a great looking bear. Sounds like it was a long time coming. Way to make the most of your permit.

Thumbs up

Congrats on your dream come true. Nice looking bear.

Default Nice Bear

Hey!
    Lets here the Rest Of The Story. How big is he?

Good Job!

Default nice bear

Nice bear now hide the taxidermist bill from the wife!! I have been told meat hunts only after bear this spring, and she saw application for muskox, sheep and elk hunts. I tried to say all those are meat hunts...

Very nice. I've lived here 53 years and still looking for that chance!

Thumbs up

Good Bear.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by fshgde View Post
    Nice bear now hide the taxidermist bill from the wife!! I have been told meat hunts only after bear this spring, and she saw application for muskox, sheep and elk hunts. I tried to say all those are meat hunts...
    well if successful.

we are assured you wont be in the mix the next year, or few...

nice knowing ya
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Really nice bear! Congrats!

Default the story

This was a do it yourself hunt. The buddy that accompanied me on this any many other hunts is a registered guide with many years of brown Bear hunting experience although not in Kodiak. Having Jack with me made all the difference in the world. His ability to spot game is unbelievable but more importantly we were able to stay for the entire 9 day hunt even though we took this bear on day 4 of the trip and day 3 of hunting. By the end of next day the Bear was fleshed turned salted and ready for the tannery which allowed us to stay and enjoy one of the world’s most beautiful places. Jack was also able to take a nice 4x4 buck. We could have probably filled all our dear tags but we both got moose this year and we didn’t want to pay for another beaver load back to Kodiak. The weather was almost perfect but the days were short. The only other humans we saw the whole time were two guys in a skiff that passed in the distance. We saw six different Bears and I had my cross hairs on two others that we passed on before we found this guy. The reason he looks wet in the picture is because when we first spotted him he was swimming across the bay. You may be saying to yourself wow how lucky to catch one swimming. I was saying the same thing the day before when we caught another bear swimming but passed on what we figured to be a sow (no hump) but Big Bear. Later the next day I was kicking myself for passing up what I figured to be a once in a life time event when we spotted this guy. From now on I am going trolling for brownies. We ate like kings, had no Bears in camp and slept like babies every night which was not the experience of the other bear hunters I meet on the ferry trip home. He is not the biggest bear in the world but he was the biggest bore we saw. His skull was 24+ and we figured using an 8 x10 tarp that he squared 8.5 or better. The hunt itself would have been perfect if it was not for the fact that when we got back to Kodiak Jack got a message that his Mother who had been sick for a long time was in the hospital. We got him on a plane back to Anchorage were he was able to spend a few hours with his mom before she passed away. Thank you Jack and God bless you and your family.

Default congrats

Thanks for taking the time to add the story with the picture. He willlook nice as a rug.

Default Excellent

Congrats on getting a fine Kodiak Brown Bear! The combo of dark legs and light back is great. He's got a nice face too.

A photo of the Blacktail would be nice, please. I really like those deer and it's the rut so all of us SE boys are obsessed with them right now.

Whats the plan taxidermy wise?

Congratulations. Sounds like you had a really good trip.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast