Thread: Wood gas...anyone using this...

Default Wood gas...anyone using this...

Found this on another forum and thought it was an interesting system. I did a search here and didn't see anything.
    http://woodygasifier.com/

I'd be curious to hear if anyone is using wood fuels to make gas, and the electricity...

And if you act NOW we'll throw in a free...

I don't know, seems like they are more interested in selling you their unit instead of telling you how it works and what you can really expect out of it.

I suspect it requires a lot more wood then they are letting on.

LOL...yeah, they could use a better spokesman for sure. I do find the concept interesting. I guess the very fact that virtually no one replied shows the technology is unproven.

If anyone would be ideal users if such a working system existed it would be Alaskans...

If I recall right the US government had a booklet or something (way back when) on how to use wood gas to power tractors and such. I think it was during WW II. So I think there is some validity to this....just maybe not this company.

Exactly...especially throughout Europe during WWII.

The main drawback I see is that this process produces the fuel in gas form, not liquid. You have to run the "fuel recipient device" (engine to power alternator, for example) while the burning wood gas production is ongoing.

Shame that...would be so much neater to be able to produce a fuel you could store as a liquid and use as needed.

When I was a kid there was a post apocalyptic movie that had the bad guys running around in station wagons that were equipped with "trash burners" on the back. I remember that my dad told me that it was a common deal in WWII in Europe during gas rationing. There is a guy in Toledo, WA that was advertising classes on building these.

It's not that big of deal to build though. You need a tank to hold any organic matter and a fire under the tank to gas off the organic material. The trick is to make sure that the tank gets no oxygen (air leaks) or the gas could auto-ignite.

Interesting. Looks like a fun project.

that is a good idea for the back woods cabin set up ..

They had a show on Discovery called "The Colony" that showed how to make one of these. It used a lot of wood but in a worst case it could power a generator. They even made a truck run on it. It's a neat experiment but you would spend a lot of time splitting wood. Also the wood needs to be very dry or it puts off too much water vapor. They were using pallets on the show.

They used a 55 gallon burn barrel with a jerry can inside filled with wood. The jerry can was attatched to plumbing that went to the intake of a generator. You have to cook the wood at around 400F to make the wood gas.

I don't think it would be a bad idea to print off that FEMA pdf for reference though. Might come in handy.
    That's what she said...

I'm going to make this one when I get the time:

http://www.bioenergylists.org/anila

woodgasifier for cooking.