Thread: Re-issuing military permits

Default Re-issuing military permits

First, I want to say thank you to all of our military members for their service to this country. I absolutely support allowing deployed military to postpone their hunts. Good job F&G.

I do have a question about the details of the new program. I've poked around on the F&G website and I can't find anything about how this will work. Will the unused permits be eligible for redistribution in the deployment year or are these hunting opportunities lost in that year? Also, in the hunted year (after the deployment is over... when the tags will actually be used) will there be less general permits issued?

I'm asking in regard to the following possible situation with totally made up numbers. Say one year 2 or 3 permits are issued to military personnel for a particular hunt that has 5 available permits. (could happen with a group permit) Then these permittees are deployed and there is no provision for filling the now unused permits for the current year. That year there would be 60% less hunting and presumably 60% less harvesting than planned for in this permit area. The following year there are again 5 general permits, plus the 2-3 re-issues. That year there might be 60% more harvest than planned for.

So, does anybody know if there are there provisions in place to address this type of situation? Or will F&G simply issue less permits the second year to avoid overharvest?

Again, I think this is a good thing and I wish all the best for all those able to come home after deployment and use the permits they won the previous year. Good luck.

-Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Default ADFG still working on details

Rod,

Far as I know, ADFG is still working out the details. All of the current permits that will be reissued were permits for this year's hunts, and so these hunts will now take place next year. The numbers of draw permits to be reissued does not appear to be high, so far about a dozen with the 172nd, and I'm not sure what other deployed troops will put in for reissue. ADFG may have to tweak the numbers of total permits available, but again, nothing is firm on that yet. I'll post something here when I find out. We had asked for a bit more stringent guidelines in our proposal to the board in support of this, and overall we don't see this as having a noticeable effect on total numbers of permits available, as not that many troops get called up on short notice (who have drawn permits) or are redeployed involuntarily as the Stryker Brigade was. Sorry I don't have more info.
    Best,

I'm totally in favor or the reissue of permits under the circumstances the 172nd experienced. They were unexpectedly extended in Iraq past their scheduled return. Another circumstance would be an extreme short notice deployment to a combat zone.
    I am NOT in favor of having the permits reissued ONLY because you were deployed. Currently the deployments are well planned in advance. The 172nd could probably tell you when they will be scheduled to go again. If I know I'm going to be gone, then I should not enter the drawing. Before someone yells, I've been there and done that. Deployments were scheduled and I knew I would not be home to use the permit so I never entered. If I had entered, drew a permit knowing I wasn't going to be home, shame on me.
    But again, the soldiers from the 172nd deserve the reissue. Thanks for the service and I'm glad you are back.

Bill,

Totally agreed. And we tried to spell all this out in our comments to the Board:
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters....20comments.pdf

The soldiers felt the same. From the research I did and help from others here who are ex-military, the short-notice or unscheduled deployments are not all that common, and overall this shouldn't be something where we see a lot of draw permits being reissued in future. I'm not sure why the Board did not clarify the concerns in our comments, or put that into the final wording. I've yet to see the actual codified amendments to the statutes covering this. Implicit in the comments we sent in was exactly what you mentioned, and also that was a concern of the troops; they didn't want to see this abused in future or be some loophole.
    Best,

Thanks for the info Bushrat. I figure that there probably won't be any major impacts to the hunting pressure caused by reissuing tags. I was just wondering if F&G had addressed the issue, or if they were still tinkering. Looks like it's the latter.

Ok, one more thought. Say F&G decided to adopt the policy that reissued tags count toward the overall number of tags released. (i.e., 9 general tags are awarded for DS136 instead of 10, with a reissued tag counting as number 10). This would keep the hunting pressure consistent with what they want and still allow for the reissue.

Now say a deployed person had won the DS123 tag (there is only one of these issued) so that there were to be no general tag released for this hunt, only the reissue. Then, if some people knew that this tag was going to be reissued next year (easy enough to find out if you know who's been deployed), and some people didn't, those that didn't may end up applying for a "nonexistent" tag and waste one of their chances.

I hope that this isn't the case this year since we no longer have the opportunity to check on who has what and see if we can live with the new reduced odds or possibly change which hunts we apply for.

Of course, this may all be a non-issue as I don't know how F&G will end up implementing the particulars. But I guess what I'm thinking is that if it turns out to be like what I described above, there should be some mechanism in place to inform the general public of which tags are eligible for reissue. What do you think? Am I being overly concerned here?
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Rod,

All good points and not sure how ADFG will work it out. Some of us tried to get info to them on how many Stryker's were affected, and what tags they had, so they could use this info for the upcoming winter draw permits, but far as I could tell, they weren't inclined to develop anything until the Board ruling. I'd just be speculating to answer any questions, but I wouldn't worry about it affecting the current winter draw. Meaning, whatever was available, the same number of permits will probably go out, even if that means some military personnel who will be resissued permits may hunt next season on those same permit hunts. And again, I don't see this as a long-time thing, more of a one-time thing, but if the war continues and we get some significant number of troops being eligible, then yes, I think ADFG would make everyone aware of what was really available with the draw permits.