Thread: Moose Hunt Help

Default Moose Hunt Help

Hi everyone. I used to be a regular at Jessie's hunting outdoor forums, but they aren't so good with Alaska stuff over there.

I know people come & go on these boards and it is the regulars that make it great. I am sure that you get sick of people like me coming on & posting questions. I did spend a few hours on here looking at old threads before I posted.

Anyway - this is where we are at.
    I would like to hunt a bull moose in Alaska in 2010. I have at least one friend coming with who will not hunt. We are from Pennsylvania. We have extensive hunting experience (elk, black bear, deer, and Africa plains game). He is 48 and I am 33. We are in very good shape. He has done drop hunts for caribou twice in Alaska. I lived outside of Palmer (at Victory Bible Camp) for two summers.

We are open to plane, boat, or car trip. We are talking about an unguided trip, booking a month and staying until we kill a moose. We are ok being dropped off in the woods for a month. Then changing the flight after we have a moose down or going and doing some more hunting (caribou maybe) or who knows.

Anyway we are looking for a local or a company that would help us plan the trip or maybe even go with? We'd be happy to pay all the expenses. We'd be happy to take home a quarter of the meat and the antlers. If you or someone you knew wanted the meat, we'd be happy to donate most of it. We get all the whitetail meat we want here. Really, we are just looking for the experience. We tend to have a good time wherever we go, under any circumstances and we both just love the outdoors. We are extremely dedicated hunters and outdoorsmen.

Right now we have an $6,000 budget for the hunt itself (not including transportation to or from Alaska). That's the money we have on hand now, so our budget will go up till next year. He is not hunting, just along to help.

Contact Michael Strahan here on the Forums. If I'm not mistaken he is a hunt planner and should be able to help you out.

Agreed with jfreeze - talk to Mike and have him put together a hunt for you. His hunters tend to have really solid success rates and quality experiences. The guy knows moose hunting.

As for the meat, if you need someone to take it off your hands, just let me know!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post

As for the meat, if you need someone to take it off your hands, just let me know!

Beat me to it.

Default mbc...

...pm sent

Planning a self guided moose hunt isn't that difficult, do some searches here and see what it brings up. If I were to come up from the lower 48, i'd seriously consider a float hunt for moose.

Default Moose Hunt

Talk with Wrights air service, out of Fairbanks.

Default moose

As a non resident who has done 6-7 of these hunts I can offer up a few suggestions as well. I have been fortunate enough to have met some great & competent contacts thru the years. Hit me up I am willing to help.

Jeff

Talking

You could always ask Vince....he was complaining of not being able to find a partner in several decades....j/k

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by littleman81 View Post
    You could always ask Vince....he was complaining of not being able to find a partner in several decades....j/k

ah never said i couldn't find one.... just waiting for them to get old enough, to carry their own weight.

depending on the season.. hunting buddys come and go. i August every one is my friend.. and can't contact them at all by the end of October
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Thanks so much guys! I received a ton of PM's as well.

I am going to look into all the companies recommended and am ordering Mike's book shortly.

Feel free to keep posting. If anyone knows what they are doing and are looking for someone to pay for fuel/transportation/meat that will be our #1 preference.

Really didn't anticipate such a positive response, thank you all.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by mbcijim View Post
    Thanks so much guys! I received a ton of PM's as well.

I am going to look into all the companies recommended and am ordering Mike's book shortly.

Feel free to keep posting. If anyone knows what they are doing and are looking for someone to pay for fuel/transportation/meat that will be our #1 preference.

Really didn't anticipate such a positive response, thank you all.
    some time in the reg books is REALLY needed at this point..

and some understanding of your posts... request. and replies..

in particular read and understand the Harvest, barter, transporter, guide definitions and what you may or MAY NOT DO with meat...

i Understand your intent in NOT looking for a guide or local non licensed transporter... however. i would caution you on your offer to trade meat for knowledge or assistance... wording on a public forum can go awry at the least... and there are those that will go out of their way to TEST, how far your willing to go for this hunt
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Also if you have not found the REGS on line... here is a link to a wealth of information... you can spend a day or more on the F&G web site readng helpfull stuff...

http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/index...ations.hunting

meet on face book here

Thanks guys. I've spent a few hours on the phone with various companies recommended here. The people I spoke to talked to seem to push me towards a float hunt, but I really don't have my mind made up, float hunt or drop hunt.

I was wondering if anyone could point out the pro's & con's of each.
    Here are a few relevant details:

My friend & I are in shape, dedicated sportsman & outdoorsman with lots of hunting experience. We have a 70 year old friend who would like to come with who is in good shape for his age - BUT - doesn't pull his weight (won't start fires, get water, etc...). The younger friend & I are reasonably experienced on the water - comfortable with Class 1 & 2 rapids. If I didn't point out something you should know to post advice, please ask. Thanks, in advance! I am the only one who wants to shoot a moose. The other two will shoot one if oppurtunity presents, but don't really care either way.