Thread: 358 sta

Default 358 sta

Does anyboby know what it takes to build a 358 STA?

It's a simple barrel job, just start with a 375 H&H length action.

Like Paul said, the biggest thing is to make sure you've actually got a magnum-length action.

You could do it with a Remington 700 LA, but if you're going to do a custom build, you'd be better off to source a true magnum-length action that gives you more options with seating depth and bullet profile. Something to also consider is magazine capacity and design. Do you want a closed box (ADL-style), hinged floorplate or detachable mag? Any of these could be changed from the original style, but it's usually cheaper and more reliable if you start with an action already designed to your liking. If I were building a magnum-length rifle, I'd look to the CZ 550 Magnum as a really good starting point. It'll carry five rounds in the magazine box, the hinged floorplate is securely fastened yet easy to use, the trigger design is really good from the factory, and it's long enough to clear the STA with room to spare.

Once you decide on an action, all that's left is to pick a bbl manufacturer, decide on the contour and length, pick a gunsmith to thread your new bbl to your new action, and then order a stock that works for you.

If only it truly were that simple

Paul & Diesel Nut have covered the basics pretty well. You can do it relatively inexpensively (Paul's way) or you can spend as much as you want (Diesel Nut's way). You can also search a couple websites and you may turn up a rifle already assembled which should be the least expensive way to acquire one. You may find a .338 on a Rem 700 (or similar 3.65 length action) that could be rebored & chambered to 358 STA. I guess I am trying to get at the fact that there are several ways to build/buy a STA. My first advice would be set a budget for the new rifle and then you'll know what you can and cannot do.

Default ?STA

Okay, I'm going to do it, and ask the question, thereby revealing a gap (one of many) in my knowledge. What does the STA mean? How is this different from the 358 Norma Mag?

Quote Originally Posted by Terry D View Post
    Okay, I'm going to do it, and ask the question, thereby revealing a gap (one of many) in my knowledge. What does the STA mean? How is this different from the 358 Norma Mag?
    No problem, we all ask the first time.

The 358 Shooting Times Alaskan is a cartridge that was developed by Layne Simpson and is based upon the 8mm Remington Magnum case. The 8mm RM is based upon the full length 375 H&H case (2.85 OAL) with a sharp shoulder and minimal body taper. It is designed to provide maximum capacity (and hence max velocity) from the H&H case in a .358 caliber. It compares to the 358 NM like the 340 Weatherby to the 338 WM.

It is similar to Layne's earlier and more popular wildcat the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner (STW). The STA has less body taper than the STW. I think A-Square submitted the STA to SAAMI in the mid nineties for standard dimensions and it was offered as an option in Winchester's custom shop for a short while. It is extremely potent cartridge, but not very popular. 250 grain bullets will make 3000 fps, but it really is better suited IMO to 275-300 grain bullets at 2750-2900 fps.

Very interesting, thanks.