Thread: deer calls

Default deer calls

what is the proper way to use a deer call on POW, if it maters where I'm at (no grz)? how often? where, when, how lowd ext.? thanks

Default Check Youtube

You might check Youtube for some sitka blacktail videos. It's pretty hard to explain in writing. You want to hear how it's done, not read how it's done.

Personally I start off loud with the first bleat or two but after that I get quieter. If you blow too loud at a deer that's coming in it will take off.
    The first couple I always do close together, then I space out with an occasional softer bleat for awhile. Don't call too often, if you seem to agressive or eager that might keep the deer from coming in. You want to give time between bleats to make sure that nothing is coming in before you try blowing again. I'll usually call for about 10 min. before I move on.

I generally call in the muskegs or open timber, you want good visibility to see the deer coming in. Stand on the edge of the muskeg near a tree or something to beak up your outline. Be careful not to stand in the branches of a tree because those will amplify any movement you make.

Default patience

Wait at least 30 minutes after you call before leaving. This is the most common mistake hunters make by not waiting long enough for the big ones to come in.
    Even a jackass won't stumble on the same stone twice.

Easier said than done. Waiting 30 min can be hard. Most of my luck has been within the first 3-4 min when I start calling.

Quote Originally Posted by ACNDHO View Post
    Wait at least 30 minutes after you call before leaving. This is the most common mistake hunters make by not waiting long enough for the big ones to come in.

Ditto Al.......

Default Now I gotta ask

Are you calling for 30 min.? or waiting for 30 min.?

I usually end up doing both. I'll call anywhere on and off between 15-30 minutes. But I'll always wait awhile looking and listening before I move on to the next spot.

Default 10 min

10 min. might have been a little on the short side in my original post. Usually I'll call for 10-15 and wait a few minutes after my last call to see if anything comes in. I'll have to give the 30 min thing a try this weekend.

There comes a point of diminishing returns. I rarely wait more than 10 minutes. If they don't come to the first or second set of calls, they usually aren't going to come at all.

Yes, I've had nice deer come after 15 minutes. There are under real noisy (for me) conditions - e.g. krunchy snow. I'm more likely to stay put in one spot for a while then.

Under quiet conditions (for me) it's more productive to cover ground a try different areas than to wait out a given spot for a long time. I pay close attention to time, distance and wind between calling sessions.

YMMV tho.
    Last edited by L. G.; 11-06-2009 at 11:27. Reason: . . .