Thread: Iditarod Trail Garmin Track

Default Iditarod Trail Garmin Track

Hello all!!

Hope someone would be kind enough to help me out. I will be making a run this winter to the farewell burn to hunt a bison. We will be leaving prior to the dogs hitting the trails.

Would someone PLEASE provide me a previous Garmin GPS track from the trail. I only need thru McGrath, but I willl take whatever I'm given. I understand the trail varies year to year but I will be happy with whatever you have.

This should be a file that ends in .gdb

I would REALLY appreciate it. PM me if you like.

Thanks

I think I still have a garmin gps track from Willow to Nikolai if I can find it.

I read your post on Farewell Bison BI352.
    Not knowing what snowmobile you have or what pull sleds, I think you may be in for more problems than you want.

Sent you an email.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutting Moose View Post
    I think I still have a garmin gps track from Willow to Nikolai if I can find it.

I read your post on Farewell Bison BI352.
    Not knowing what snowmobile you have or what pull sleds, I think you may be in for more problems than you want.
    Rutting Moose I would sure appreciate that track. Would it be the Iron Dog version or the dog race version thru the gorge? I'll PM you my e-mail address and would be VERY appreciative.

Moving on........I'll be riding on my 2006 Summit 800, our sleds are Alaska Bush Sleds built by Mike's welding in Sterling. Mike is also going along on this trip. He has ridden from Willow to Nome 3 times previously. Mike has pulled up to three sleds at a time behind him on this trip. Right now three of us are going. Mike will be pulling a sleeper sled and a fuel sled behind him. The other two of us will be pulling a sleeper sled each loaded with our gear. Nobody including my friend Mike has said this will be any easy trip. Mike's bringing a chainsaw winch to pull machines and sleds up the iciest of hills, if necessary. Mike likes the adventure of it all and would be disappointed to find out that I'm working on getting a GPS track of the trail, but I would be grateful.

Default Still need a Track

For anyone else taking a look here. I did get some good waypoints along the trail, but Rutting Moose wasn't able to find the track he thought he might have.

Would REALLY appreciate it if someone can find one on their computer or off their GPS.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    I'll be riding on my 2006 Summit 800.
    Have you pulled much with this sled? I used my 800 RMK to haul cabin materials and it did it, but it didn't like it. Busted 3 rear bumpers, requires ice scratchers to keep from over heating, and burned up more than a couple belts.

Some test runs with your intended set up (including weight) would be prudent.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by NRick View Post
    Have you pulled much with this sled? I used my 800 RMK to haul cabin materials and it did it, but it didn't like it. Busted 3 rear bumpers, requires ice scratchers to keep from over heating, and burned up more than a couple belts.

Some test runs with your intended set up (including weight) would be prudent.
    I've never even run this sled in the snow. I bought it in July!

But......this is the exactly the same year, make and model machine that my friend Mike, who owns Mike's Welding in Sterling, used on this trail all the way to Nome a couple years ago.

He makes a few mods to a machine before this trip. First he builds a wrap around pintle hitch that bolts into not only the rear bumper of the machine, but wraps around to the sides also.

Next, for the cooling problem. He has (and I've already installed) the coolant gauge kit from ski-doo so that we're not counting on the idiot light to tell us when they are warm. For cooling Mike builds an aluminum box with no bottom in it that mounts behind the seat on the tunnel. If the sled starts getting warm you pull over and fill the box with snow or ice or whatever frozen material you can get your hands on. The snow cools the radiators enough to cool the sleds coolant down.

I've gone a step beyond what he has done previously and have scratchers installed on my sled already.

He says he likes to have a new belt installed before the trip and two spares along for a trip all the way out to Nome. We'll be about a 600 mile round trip the burn.

There probably isn't a perfect machine for a ride like this with the possibility of deep snow, steep climbs and icy rivers, but hopefully these preps will work as they have previously.

Since we're not leaving until March I should (snow allowing) have time to check everything out.

Open to any other ideas still. I'm not out of money yet!

Anyone with that Garmin track yet???? Please........

Default Got it!!!

Thanks for looking guys. I was also working on getting it outside of the forum and one of the Iron Doggers came thru.

Appreciate the advice and concerns.

Glad you got the info you were looking for and your plans for the hunt are coming together, I'll look for you out there.

OE

Talking GPS track

I've got the track from Willow to Nome on both the Iron Dog and Iditarod Routes. I also have downloaded the real track on Google Earth. I have a cabin 18 miles past Skwentna and use the Iditarod as soon as it is broken and actually broke the trail from Shell Creek to Old Skwentna for the Iditarod Race this past year. Will be heading out there as soon as freeze up and will have trail condition reports at least to Shell Lake/Onestone area. Contact me if interested.

I tried to post Google Earth Track but it came out 600000 charecters too long for this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by aksnowmo View Post
    I've got the track from Willow to Nome on both the Iron Dog and Iditarod Routes. I also have downloaded the real track on Google Earth. I have a cabin 18 miles past Skwentna and use the Iditarod as soon as it is broken and actually broke the trail from Shell Creek to Old Skwentna for the Iditarod Race this past year. Will be heading out there as soon as freeze up and will have trail condition reports at least to Shell Lake/Onestone area. Contact me if interested.

I tried to post Google Earth Track but it came out 600000 charecters too long for this forum.
    I'm sending you an e-mail now.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aksnowmo View Post

could you send a copy of this track in either .gpx or shapefile format at hm.wms1 at gmail.com

Bob