Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel meter?

Question Fuel meter?

Looking at purchasing a fuel meter device (floscan) or similar into my 1996 22'Seasport. Running the 5.0 in her with the duo prop. After putting about 120 hours on her this past summer, it seems to get pretty good fuel economy. I would like to be able to dial in and read exactly what it is doing at various rpm and sea conditions. Looking for info from you guys out there who have this item installed in your boat and what brands and models you would recommend. Thanks for info and advice.

We've had Flo-Scans on our boats and I'll never have a boat without. We're having a new boat built and I found that Garmin has a nice interface in most of their new chartplotters that allows a Garmin fuel flow meter (GFS-10) to be hooked in, showing data on the Chartplotter screen, may be something to look into as an alternative. I was looking at a Garmin 526 with the GFS-10, but any Garmin 400 and 500 series will work.

Being our new boat's power plant has a return fuel line back to the tank (6.0 Vortec PFI), the Garmin fuel flow sender wasn't compatible, so we're sticking with the compatible Floscan 9000 series that will still get info from the GPS and give me MPG readings as well as GPH. www.floscan.com

Visit www.thehulltruth.com and along with a search will bring up tons of info.

From my research, people were happy with the Garmin GFS-10 and a chartplotter. Flo-scan is old faithful and pretty much bulletproof and has been doing this for a looong time. The others that are out there have mixed reviews, but are much cheaper...you get what you pay for I guess.

My $.02, good luck.

Gary,

I had one on my old boat, which had a Redline Marine 460 marine motor. It worked great to tell the GPH reading, and it was dead on for fuel used readings (within a gallon). Well worth the dollars in my opinion, and really extended the useable range of the boat by knowing the true amount of fuel remaining.

Jim
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Default Northstar f210

Depending on what you want, I put this unit on my 22" sea runner with a 115 Yamy. It gives me all the information I want and need and is very accurate and reliable. Would never go without one now! alos very inexpensive compared to other units!
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

Call Floscan directly to get a price, they don't necessarily charge the listed price on their web site. They knocked off about $200 for me last year. They were easy to work with in answering any and all questions! The made sure I got The correct model to interface with my Garmin 188c and 8.1L F.I. with return line. This is my 2nd boat with one, wouldn't want to be with out it!!!
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Gary,
    You didnt say if it was fuel injected or not? or maybe I missed it, anyway Lowrance makes a inexpensive (IMO) fuel guage for under 200, I think its a LMF 200, they make some other models as well. You would have to use a paddle wheel sensor in your fuel line, which will work on a one line system. The advatage is it becomes a NEMA 2000 compatible network, which means if you have NEMA 2000 plotter you can display MPG on the screen, which is really what you want to know. Thats the advantge of the network working in conjuction w/ the gps on your plotter.
    Otherwise what you will get is GPH on the fuel guage, which is certainly helpfull if you have nothing at this time.
    If you are looking at GPH only, you then have to do some math based on boat speed to convert to MPG, sometimes a low GPH may not be the optimum economy.
    Hope I am not making this confusing, it took me a while to wrap my brain around it, and unfortunately its made my Lowrance, and while I think there products are fine, they are horrible when it comes to help or customer service.
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Thumbs up

I have a flowscan twinscan (I have two engine setup), and it is by far the best $350 i have spent on the boat so far. A huge safety tool in my opinion, and great peace of mind for long cruises. I would highly reccomend one, and it has been proven on my boat to be very accurate, like within a few tenths of a gallon over the course of burning 80 gallons or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Kings View Post
    Depending on what you want, I put this unit on my 22" sea runner with a 115 Yamy. It gives me all the information I want and need and is very accurate and reliable. Would never go without one now! alos very inexpensive compared to other units!
    $133.78 at Amazon…looks like a nice unit for the price.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Quote Originally Posted by breausaw View Post
    $133.78 at Amazon…looks like a nice unit for the price.
    Added one to my cart @ StarMarineDepot.com and it came out at 118.95.

Quote Originally Posted by akfishin View Post
    Added one to my cart @ StarMarineDepot.com and it came out at 118.95.
    Sweet,,,let us know how easy it is to install. Another winter project in the making...

LOL

I didn't purchase it, I'm trying to decide myself if I want to spend the extra on a flowscan or get something like this.

I'll purchase in Feb most likely or when ever the boat is back from the glass shop and in the heated shop so I can install it and chase some electrical gremlins...

dan

Default Installed a Floscan Fuel Flow Meter 5520231-1

Floscan Fuel Flow Meter 5520231-1
    Very simple to install, called Floscan about the pulsation dampner and since I had a fuel water filter installed didn't need one, it would act as a dampner.
    Didn't add the switch since I kill the power only when the boat is home so it resets it's self next time I turn the power back on.
    Don't even see the fuel gauge anymore, tells me the amount of fuel I have used + the GPH, a little calibration setting and bingo.

Quote Originally Posted by breausaw View Post
    Sweet,,,let us know how easy it is to install. Another winter project in the making...

MIne was very easy to install , good clear instructions, had a knock out on the panel already, cut gas line, fit in place, mount with a bracket of some type wire and run. They state you may need to calibrate after a couple of known usages, but mine is right on. Acttually is is off to the good side about .5 to 1 gall after 25 used. I prefer this as a safety measure so I leave it. I am accurate within .5 to 1 gallon every time I re-fill .

Default Using a Suzi fuel meter

Quote Originally Posted by Gary W. View Post
    Looking at purchasing a fuel meter device (floscan) or similar into my 1996 22'Seasport.
    I am using a Suzi brand fuel meter since it was a plug and play into the existing wire harness of my Suzi 140 4S. After multiple tanks of fuel, and 2 seasons, I have determined it is about .25 gal per hour on the excessive side. Even though the guage allows for fine tuning I am okay with letting it ride as is. That way I always have a bit more fuel than indicated by the guage.

Also, my tank is by rated as 62 gal. I only set my guage for a 50 gal tank. Because you can never be sure how full you get it on the trailer at the gas station. Also you always want to have more fuel than you think. I set my low fuel alarm on the guage for 10 gals. This way I will probably always have something close to at least 15 gals emergency fuel. For our boat at 4k rpm @ 6 gph (18-20 mph avg) I will probably have around 3 hours fuel when the alarm goes off and almost 50 miles range depending on conditions. Whenever we run on an overnight trip we generally always run at 4k rpm. Day trips I'll go fast and burn fuel, but 4k is our normal traveling speed.

Still I do not take that margin of error into account when calculating distances to travel. I still leave the usual 20-30% fuel reserve... I just feel that I have an additional safety margin in case I have totally screwed the pooch in my calculations.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary W. View Post
    Looking at purchasing a fuel meter device (floscan) or similar into my 1996 22'Seasport. Running the 5.0 in her with the duo prop. After putting about 120 hours on her this past summer, it seems to get pretty good fuel economy. I would like to be able to dial in and read exactly what it is doing at various rpm and sea conditions. Looking for info from you guys out there who have this item installed in your boat and what brands and models you would recommend. Thanks for info and advice.
    NAvman F210 I have one in the boat and one in the plane. Very easy to use, and no issues from it. So far I have run about 1000 galons through it on the plane and it is always within a gallon or so. I can program the resolution so it will be more accurate, but it is close enough for all I do. I put pne in a buddies boat and he really likes it also. You can get them for 115-120 all over the net. I got mine at boatersland.com

Default flowscan all the way

I put a floscan on my 22' Almar with a 454 fuel injected engine. Great setup and very accurate. It has the return line so I had to install the setup with 2 flowmeters. The only time it is off at all is when I am running my trolling motor alot which takes fuel from the system ahead of the flowscan. Good safety device too!

Smile Good suggestions

Thanks for all the good suggestions and comments. Not sure which way I will go with this yet, but you've all given me alot more ideas to research this winter. Thanks

Default Northstar F210 Works Great - Very Economical

I have used the Northstar system for several years and it works great - and the best thing is the price $120.00 for a single engine setup. It has a full selection of features that makes the unit adapt to different uses. Pays for itself the 1st year

http://www.jandhproducts.com/_e/Fuel...ENGINE_KIT.htm
    How stupid is it to be wasting tons of salmon and halibut as bycatch in the Bering Sea and then have the coastal villages hollaring they have no food? It's got to stop!

Quote Originally Posted by akfishnut View Post
    I have used the Northstar system for several years and it works great - and the best thing is the price $120.00 for a single engine setup. It has a full selection of features that makes the unit adapt to different uses. Pays for itself the 1st year

http://www.jandhproducts.com/_e/Fuel...ENGINE_KIT.htm

waht do you just splice it into a fuel line?
    Semper Fi!

Yes you just spice it in right after the filter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast