Thread: Win 25 WSSM Problems

Default Win 25 WSSM Problems

does anyone out there have a 25 WSSM that they reload for? If so are you having any problems with once fired brass feeding into your gun?

Default Brass problems...

I don't have a 25 WSSM, nor have I loaded for one, but failure to feed or chamber a round of brass that was fired in your rifle is unusual. (I assume you have a feeding problem.)

Was this brass fired in your rifle?
    Do you full length resize the brass?
    Is the die adjusted down to contact the shell holder?

If the answer to all of these is "Yes" then the die dimensions and your chamber dimensions may be incompatable. Meaning one or the other is not to standard SAAMI specs.

Was this brass factory ammo or new brass before this first firing?
    Does this rifle feed factory ammo ok?

In general any case of the correct caliber will re-enter the chamber from which it was fired, maybe a little snug until resized. After full length resizing it should fit any chamber of the same caliber.

If you could give more details about the failure to feed, maybe I can help
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

with factory ammo or new brass that is loaded it will feed fine, when I reload either it feeds super snug in the chamber, I have been reloading for 20+ years, I have never came across this problem, a friend has the same problem with his gun, we have contacted the die manufactor, and are waiting for a reply from them, but they were not much help on the phone, said I would need to send them a chamber cast for them to see what was going on, it seemed unusual that two rifles would have the same problem, that is why I posted here to see if anyone else was having the same problem.

Default Short mags

I don't have a 25 WSSM, but I DO have (and reload for) a 270 WSM, and I encountered a similar problem. After doing some research online, I discovered that the short mags (at least the 270) often need FULL resizing to make sure that the shoulder is being re-positioned (bumped back slightly) and the case re-sized properly. After reading that, I began screwing my FL sizing die down further and further until the resized case fit in the chamber comfortably. I was actually surprised at how far it had to be screwed down, but apparently that's what it takes.

I've also read about some problems with Hornady dies.

I wish I could give you the exact place (link) where I read about this, but I can't find it. I would suggest you poke around the shortmags.org web site, which can now be found at http://www.netrifle.com/.

BTW, there's an interesting discussion there about the future of WSM cartridges: http://www.netrifle.com/forum1/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11892

Good luck.

Default Sizing the WSM....

Robert,

The WSM, or WSSM series of calibers have very straight walls. Compare to the 30-06 case which has a pronounced taper. With the 30-06 case we can keep screwing the sizing die down until it is sized enough to go into the chamber and it will still be a 1/4 or even a half turn off the shell holder. With the WSM cases, with so little taper, it will need to be screwed down to touch or almost touch the shell holder. So the die manufacturers instructions of 1/8th, 1/4th or even 1/2 turn off the shell holder is not much help.

Any case fired in a chamber will go back in that chamber. Yes it may be snug, but the headspace is set and it will fit.
    Some sizing dies actually destroy this fit. They size the neck down too far, (over working the brass) then when extracting from the sizer we pull the expander plug back through the neck and resize it back up to correct bullet holding dimensions. This actually pulls the shoulder forward a bit (because the expander was too tigh for the over sized neck) destroying the headspace dimension, and now it won't go back in the chamber. This is not an uncommon problem but it is almost always the fault of the brass having a neck wall dimension that is too thick.

You might try different brass or if you're already against the shell holder and still not able to chamber smoothly, you might try taking a file to the shell holder (the cheapest part) and reduce the highth of it by a few thousands. This will size the case down more. What kind of dies are you using?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default WSSM Woes....

Quote Originally Posted by robertalbaugh View Post
    with factory ammo or new brass that is loaded it will feed fine, when I reload either it feeds super snug in the chamber, I have been reloading for 20+ years, I have never came across this problem, a friend has the same problem with his gun, we have contacted the die manufactor, and are waiting for a reply from them, but they were not much help on the phone, said I would need to send them a chamber cast for them to see what was going on, it seemed unusual that two rifles would have the same problem, that is why I posted here to see if anyone else was having the same problem.
    Robert,

What did you find to be the problem? Are you bumping the die against the shell holder? In place of the chamber cast usually you can send three fired cases to the die manufacturer with the dies and they can sort it out if it is a die dimension problem. I would file the shell holder first, it's cheaper and faster.

Let me know how it goes.

I don't have any experience with the 25 WSM, but a parallel experience has me thinking. I had similar experiences with a couple of Savage 99's in 308 and one in 250/3000. It turned out that I had to get "small base" sizing dies from RCBS, as the conventional dies did not squeeze the brass down far enough in the lower portion of the case. Considering the limited taper of the WSM and the potential for minimum chamber tollerances................

When this problem first came up I was using redding FL dies, I thought the dies were neck sizer dies, so I bought a set of RCBS dies, but the problem was the same, the die is contacting the shell holder, (I will try the suggestion of filing the shell holder) I have contacted redding and they are supposed to send me some data on the case dimensions they have when the dies were made, they think something has changed with the case dimensions, I may have to send them fired cases and have them build a set of dies for this. Thanks for all the input

I had the same problem with a 300 WSM. I was using a set of Redding dies. I tried a set of RCBS dies that belonged to a friend and that cured the problem. I have never had any problems with redding dies before. I bought myself a new set of RCBS dies and am having no trouble.