Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 41

Thread: Load Work for 338Win Mag

  1. #1

    Default Load Work for 338Win Mag

    250gr Nosler Accubond



    Started my load work with Nosler bullets today and only tried the 210gr Partition using three powders IMR4350, H4350, IMR7828. Best accuracy for the day was no better than 2 1/2" group and best velocity was 2936fps.

    Will be adjusting OAL and also using some RL-19 that I have not used yet. If the RL-19 and adjusting OAL on the H4350 load does not improve accuracy of the 210gr I will be focusing on the other Nosler bullets I have.

    I will be testing tomorrow the 200gr Accubond, 250gr Accubond and 250gr Partition. Have already completed the the load work with the 215gr Sierra SBT using Remington Brass, 215 Fed Primers, 73grs of H4350 with accuracy ranging between 1/2" and 7/8" at 100yds, moving at 2907fps.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  2. #2

    Default

    Well, the process continues with some good new today and some not so good news.

    First the 200gr Accubonds shot good and I got good velocities. Using only IMR4350 and H4350 today with the 200gr Accubond I had the following results.

    200gr Accubond, Remington Brass, 215 Fed primers, IMR4350 (start at 71grs work up), .879" group moving at 3019fps on average.




    200gr Accubond, Remington Brass, 215 Fed primers, H4350 (start at 70grs work up), 1 1/2" group moving at 2989fps on average.




    250gr Accubonds were not accurate and velocity was only 2601fps and 250gr Partitions shot a little better and velocity was only 2606fps using for both bullets H4831sc.

    I will have to wait for my new brass to get here to continue my work but I am going to use the 200gr Accubond on deer instead of the 215gr Sierra and using RL-19 and RL-17 (if I can get some 17) might increase velocities. If it does and accuracy stays the same or improves the 200gr Accubond is a player. Also, will continue to work with 210gr Partition using RL-19.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  3. #3

    Default

    Back in business, my 50 pieces of new brass came into today. Will be trying RL-19 with the 210gr Partition and RL-22 with the 250gr Accubond and Partition. Also will be using Rem 9 1/2 Mag primers.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  4. #4
    Member Toklat3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Mat-Su
    Posts
    67

    Default

    Nice work! I have'nt been able to spend as much time lately as I would like to. Here is a load that 2 of my 338s like. win case trim to 2.490, fed 210 primer.73 gr vihtavori n165,hornady 250 gr rn, COL 3.765. Velocity @ 2875 to 2925. Both of these rifles like the RN bullets as opposed to spire pts. I've had good results with IMR4350 as well.Anyway I'll keep up with your progress. Again Nice work!

  5. #5

    Default

    Interesting stuff BT, Have you thought about Retumbo and/or H1000? I hope you can find some RL17... I would like to see the results.. we have a ton of it around usually... just no primers

    I tried Retumbo and H1000 in my 300 Ultra as they are mainstay powders for that cartridge and they work well. Also tried some RL17 just for kicks although it's not really designed for the RUM. It matched the Retumbo and H1000 in velocity with the 180 E-Tips at about 3400 fps or so.

    Keep up the good work... always enjoyable watching and reading your tinkering

    Mark

  6. #6
    Member marshall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Near Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    1,814

    Default

    Montana,

    I have a couple of loads to share with you. I worked these up a few years ago for my brothers Rem 700 338WM. He took a nice Ram at 607 yards on the Brooks Range with the Accubond this year.

    The 250gr Partition is his everything else load. There is more velocity available but this combination shoots really well in his rifle.

    Accubond 200gr
    Winchester Brass
    CCI 250
    RL-19 @ 73.3gr
    COL 3.362 is .103 off in his chamber.
    2900fps

    Partition 250gr
    Winchester Brass
    CCI 250
    H 4831 @ 68.4gr
    COL 3.319 is .020 off in his chamber.
    2661fps

    Both of these loads are very good shooters in his worn out (>1000 shots) rifle.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Toklat3 View Post
    Nice work! I have'nt been able to spend as much time lately as I would like to. Here is a load that 2 of my 338s like. win case trim to 2.490, fed 210 primer.73 gr vihtavori n165,hornady 250 gr rn, COL 3.765. Velocity @ 2875 to 2925. Both of these rifles like the RN bullets as opposed to spire pts. I've had good results with IMR4350 as well.Anyway I'll keep up with your progress. Again Nice work!
    Hey thanks for the load data and especially the COL. I can get IMR4350 much easier that Vihtavori n165. I also think the 215 Fed primers are to hot for the powder and case capacity I am using and opening up my groups. Going to try some 210 primers along with Rem 9 1/2 M primers and see the difference in velocity and accuracy.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    Interesting stuff BT, Have you thought about Retumbo and/or H1000? I hope you can find some RL17... I would like to see the results.. we have a ton of it around usually... just no primers

    I tried Retumbo and H1000 in my 300 Ultra as they are mainstay powders for that cartridge and they work well. Also tried some RL17 just for kicks although it's not really designed for the RUM. It matched the Retumbo and H1000 in velocity with the 180 E-Tips at about 3400 fps or so.

    Keep up the good work... always enjoyable watching and reading your tinkering

    Mark
    Retumbo and 1000 are just to slow for the 338Win mag but thanks for the thought.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    Montana,

    I have a couple of loads to share with you. I worked these up a few years ago for my brothers Rem 700 338WM. He took a nice Ram at 607 yards on the Brooks Range with the Accubond this year.

    The 250gr Partition is his everything else load. There is more velocity available but this combination shoots really well in his rifle.

    Accubond 200gr
    Winchester Brass
    CCI 250
    RL-19 @ 73.3gr
    COL 3.362 is .103 off in his chamber.
    2900fps

    Partition 250gr
    Winchester Brass
    CCI 250
    H 4831 @ 68.4gr
    COL 3.319 is .020 off in his chamber.
    2661fps

    Both of these loads are very good shooters in his worn out (>1000 shots) rifle.
    Hey, more good stuff for sure.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  10. #10
    Member marshall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Near Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    1,814

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Toklat3 View Post
    COL 3.765.
    Is this a typo?

    That is very long for a round nose. I also doubt that it would feed from the magazine in a hunting rifle as most are 3.665 or less in long action.

    SAAMI is COL 3.340 for the 338WM, your length is .425 longer than that. In english that is nearly a half inch. I can't imagine the bullet being long enough to seat in the neck.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    Is this a typo?

    That is very long for a round nose. I also doubt that it would feed from the magazine in a hunting rifle as most are 3.665 or less in long action.

    SAAMI is COL 3.340 for the 338WM, your length is .425 longer than that. In english that is nearly a half inch. I can't imagine the bullet being long enough to seat in the neck.
    Yes, now I see, I did not look at the COL carefully but assumed a number in my head as I glanced at it. Right now I seat my Accubonds at 3.4095" Thanks for the note
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  12. #12
    Member Toklat3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Mat-Su
    Posts
    67

    Default

    Sorry for the typo Guys!!! Should read 3.365 @ .015 off. I had to run back through my books again to make sure.

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Toklat3 View Post
    Sorry for the typo Guys!!! Should read 3.365 @ .015 off. I had to run back through my books again to make sure.
    Hey, no problems, that is cool. Thanks for the correction and the load info
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    Montana,

    I have a couple of loads to share with you. I worked these up a few years ago for my brothers Rem 700 338WM. He took a nice Ram at 607 yards on the Brooks Range with the Accubond this year.

    The 250gr Partition is his everything else load. There is more velocity available but this combination shoots really well in his rifle.

    Accubond 200gr
    Winchester Brass
    CCI 250
    RL-19 @ 73.3gr
    COL 3.362 is .103 off in his chamber.
    2900fps

    Partition 250gr
    Winchester Brass
    CCI 250
    H 4831 @ 68.4gr
    COL 3.319 is .020 off in his chamber.
    2661fps

    Both of these loads are very good shooters in his worn out (>1000 shots) rifle.
    Thanks Marshal, I appreciate the tips, but unfortunately I dont own a 338 WM My 300 RUM beats me up enough

    Nice shot by your bro on that ram... nothing like being able to reach out and touch something

    Mark

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    Retumbo and 1000 are just to slow for the 338Win mag but thanks for the thought.
    You da man BT... and would know more about it than me I just figured they were good large mag powders and didn't realise the 338 WM need a little faster powder.

    I'm expecting to see some half inch groups pretty soon... dont disappoint us... nothing like a little pressure eh

  16. #16
    Member 1Cor15:19's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Dillingham, AK
    Posts
    2,482

    Default A couple more loads

    I used to carry the 338 WM a good bit and had a couple of good "deer loads." My rifle is a L61 Sako so it I can seat the bullets without regards to magazine restrictions. The Sierra load was a favorite of mine in mixed terrain for large bodied whitetails. The Nosler load was my most accurate load for that rifle so I used it even though other powders offered an increase in velocity.

    W-W Cases
    Fed 215M primer
    215 Sierra COL 3.390
    RL-19 avg velocity 2955 fps @ 65-70 degrees

    W-W Cases
    CCI 250 primer
    200 Nosler Ballistic Tip COL 3.500
    IMR 4350 avg velocity 2890 fps @ 65-70 degrees

    I've used H414 & W760 (I believe these are the same powder) with some success in the 338 WM with the 200-225 grain bullets. They were not the highest velocity loads, but gave very fine accuracy in my rifle. My reservations in these powders are due to their sensitivity to temperature and they leave a lot of powder fouling which effects accuracy during 20-25 round shot strings

  17. #17
    Member marshall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Near Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    1,814

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    Thanks Marshal, I appreciate the tips, but unfortunately I dont own a 338 WM My 300 RUM beats me up enough

    Nice shot by your bro on that ram... nothing like being able to reach out and touch something

    Mark
    Yep, he makes great shots, I'm proud of him.

    He has an old beater rifle and an even older scope. The scope is a Redfield Accutrack 3x9. You just turn the objective to bracket a 18" area that you want to shoot at. The two lines in the top of the image represent the area that you bracket. A little internal flag in the lower right side of the reticle tells you your distance. His hunting partner for the Ram trip lasered the Ram at 607 so all he had to do was select 600 yards and hold dead on. It works so good it's almost like cheating.

    He has two interchangeable elevation knobs. One for 200gr and one for 250gr bullets. I just had to load his velocity to match the trajectory of his knobs at 300 yards. After that was nailed seating depth was tweaked for best groups. Pretty straight forward.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by marshall; 11-04-2009 at 18:47. Reason: typos

  18. #18

    Default

    Just a slight change in my approach than was planned.

    Tomorrow morning I will be testing H4350, IMR4350, RL-19 with the 200gr Accubond and 210gr Partition using CCI250 primers. I believe I have corrected the COL for the 210gr Partition, should have better luck tomorrow with this bullet.

    I will be testing RL-22 with the 250gr Accucbond using CCI250 primers. Also, have adjusted the COL of thie 250gr Accubond giving it just a little more of a jump than before.

    Yes, tomorrow should be fun and interesting.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  19. #19

    Default

    This morning was quit a revelation to say the least. I tried RL-19 and H4350 in a head to head battle in the lighter bullets 200gr Accubond, 210gr Partition and 215gr Sierra SBT.

    First - the CCI250 primers using the above powders and Rem New Brass gave more velocity and better accuracy than the 215 Fed primers in my Ruger Mk II 338Win Mag with a 24" barrel using the same powders, bullets and brass.

    Second - the two best preforming bullets in my Ruger were in this order - the 200gr Accubond with an COL of 3.407" giving a group size of .685" moving at 3047fps on average in front of H4350 using Remingtion New Brass and CCI250 primers. The 215gr Sierra SBT with an COL of 3.400" giving a group size of .789" moving at 2972fps on average in front of H4350 using Rem New Brass and CCI250 primers.

    Third - with the 210gr Partition I did not get good accuracy and RL-19 with a compressed charge only gave me 2879fps where as H4350 gave me 2948fps with a compressed charge and neither powder gave an accurate group but the H4350 load was more accurate with the CCI250 primer than with the Fed 215 primer.

    Fourth - the 250gr Accubond with a max charge of RL-22 only gave 2678fps and accuracy was not better with this bullet than the last time I tried it with H4831. The 250gr Partition is more accurate and gave similar velocities.

    I need to try and will after my hunt in Missouri on white tail, the 225gr Accubond and Partition. The 200gr Accubond will be the bullet I will be using in Missouri. At 3047fps what ever it hits it will rock and shake it for sure.

    After three days in a row of shooting the 338Win Mag I think I will give my shoulder a rest
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  20. #20
    Member marshall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Near Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    1,814

    Default

    Bear Tooth,

    I'm glad to hear you had a good test. I just rung out my 375 Ruger on the hand loader forum. I used RL-17 in place of H-4350 based on previous test data. The results were very good.

    If you can get your hands on RL-17 and you have time it may be worth your time. Alliant data shows 66.0gr max with 250gr bullets and 71.0gr max with 200gr bullets. Your results will of coruse vary.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •