Thread: Need hunting area advice

Default Need hunting area advice

Being new to this GREAT state and this being my 1st time to hunt it, I really want to get my hands on some bunnies and birds. Can anyone point me in a good direction around Anchorage to hunt?

Thanx James

I JUST finished going through the same situation and I'll tell you what I did last Saturday. I picked a highway (Glen) and started driving. I looked for trail heads, parking lots, wide places in the road, or anything else that looked interesting. I looked for area's with snow to help me find tracks. If I didn't see a lot of promising tracks in the snow, I moved on. I put in several hours of hiking and busting brush looking for sign.

Finally, I pulled over to take a leak near a small creek and there were bunny tracks everywhere. I covered about 200 yards of creek bed and bagged 4 rabbits in less than 30 mins. Now I have my own rabbit spot, didn't see any other sign of people in the area.

I'm not going to share this spot with many people since I get the feeling that if I did, it would be shot out in two weeks. Someone else may find it, and that's just fine, but I hope to be able to go out and bag 1 or 2 rabbits with the bow a few times this year.

The hardest part was just getting in the truck and going. Once I got one rabbit, it was all worth it.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

What MNViking suggests is exactly the way to do it. Get out and do some exploring. There are some spots that are widely known, but you'll have skittish hares and company on most days. If you want to get into good hunting with some degree of solitude, you need to do some exploring. His choice of highways is a good one, so try doing the same and see what you find. Do some reading here as well. That should get you started in the right direction.

When I lived in Idaho, the best way to learn good places to hunt was to do exactly whats been suggested to me on this thread. I just needed a good starting point which I now have. Thank you guys for the info and ill be heading out this weekend to do some exploring around that way with my 10-22 and a smile. Once I find a good spot, Im gonna take my 7 yr old daughter with me. She really wants to help daddy kill bunnies!

Another question though. I seen alot of talk about the rabbitts turning from white. Whats the significance to that up here?

Quote Originally Posted by fishinbud View Post
    Another question though. I seen alot of talk about the rabbitts turning from white. Whats the significance to that up here?
    Not much significance other than the relative ease of seeing them. When they turn white before the snow falls, it's downright easy to see them in the brush. Once the snow falls, though, it's difficult to see much more than their eyes if they're sitting still.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by fishinbud View Post
    When I lived in Idaho, the best way to learn good places to hunt was to do exactly whats been suggested to me on this thread. I just needed a good starting point which I now have. Thank you guys for the info and ill be heading out this weekend to do some exploring around that way with my 10-22 and a smile. Once I find a good spot, Im gonna take my 7 yr old daughter with me. She really wants to help daddy kill bunnies!

why wait to find a spot to take her...

take her in case you find a spot...

and we only shoot bunnys after turning white to ensure they are healthy to eat.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Sooo, if im understanding this correctly then this month should be prime for hunting them wabbitts.
    Not really clear on the "making sure they are healthy to eat" statement but I gather from some previous posts I read that earlier in the summer they may contain some parasites which dissappear after they have matured some???

And very good point Vince. I will take her with me. She would love just being outdoors. Dont have a shotgun up here yet so gonna have to try my luck with the Ruger lol.

Think bears will be an issue?

I doubt bears will be an issue and a 10/22 is perfect. I shot a few with a 12ga and it just does too much damage. Once you find a good spot, you will see enough rabbits (hares actually) to catch a few standing still.

Default Sigh.. No bunnies yet

Ok, Back from my 1st wabbitt hunt here in AK. A friend told me that Fort Richardson would be great but they only allow for bows or shotguns and I only had a 10/22 so I couldnt hunt there. So I went to Jims Creek and walked around some and there were way tooo many people on 4 wheelers and bikes to make this a productive spot. So I packed up and headed up the Glen some and poked around past Palmer but didnt see any tracks at all. I am focusing around river beds and areas with vegetation so I guess thats correct.
    Any more advice on how far up to go and what to look for?

Default Time for the classics...

Well, one anyway, fishinbud: "How to hunt the Alaskan Hare in the Southcentral Region", by rimfirematt - the timeless classic, and great advice, available here: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...d.php?p=377964

Good luck!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by 6XLeech View Post
    Well, one anyway, fishinbud: "How to hunt the Alaskan Hare in the Southcentral Region", by rimfirematt - the timeless classic, and great advice, available here: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...d.php?p=377964

Good luck!

i agree matt did a great job on that one... to bad i cant rep a post more then once
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I think your doing the right things. Here are my thoughts on rabbits so far:

1. Until you know your in an area with rabbits, move fast enough to cover ground. You might bust them too soon but at least you know there there. I've wasted a lot of time in unproductive area moving slowly.

2. Rabbits leave tracks and they poop a lot. No tracks, no poop, no rabbits.

3. Just because there are tracks and poop doesn't mean there are rabbits. Look for a concentration of sign. I think sometimes one of them will run in circles 5 miles from where they live just to keep you occupied.

4. Rabbits come in bunches. You can walk 5 miles and see nothing, then BOOM there everywhere. Same habitat and everything, they just seem to bunch up in small areas.

5. If you can walk through it, it's not thick enough. I look for openings (streams/trails/powerlines) and walk those.

6. Another note on movement, I don't believe you can really "sneak up" on rabbits regularly. When I know I'm in the right area, I move at a speed that allows me to still look around and notice detail. I think it is better to keep a deliberate pace that makes them think they are unnoticed. Just move calmly and keep your head on a swivel

7. Rabbits are not quiet. Usually my first clue to a running rabbit is sound.

8. When you shoot, keep looking. Often, there are more in range and they break right after you shoot. I shot three rabbits in about 5 seconds yesterday without moving my feet. Every time I shot, another one ran for it.

Default Head North or south

Drive north.. Get out past the city limits, their are numerous pullouts along the hwy.. Make sure its not located next to private or posted land.. If not.. start looking.. All of the advice given cant be beat.. just have to get out their.. be patient and look for em.. Most people have already taken advantage of the lack of snow and done this.. so get further form a road.. 3-400 meters, and you will find them..

Also, If your looking for a whole hare, you probably wont find one.. While some are stupid, most of em are smart.. Look for a part of one.. Ear, hind quarter.. leg and then focus.. You will see them looking at you.. 9/10 times they will hear you comming, spot you and be watching you.. Holding still unitl they believe they have been spotted... You will see their big black eye(s).. then BAM..