Thread: Meat Hunt in SouthCentral?

Default Meat Hunt in SouthCentral?

I have heard rumors at work about a "meat hunt" in south central Alaska. The rumor holds that persons can fly into the area and hunt the same day, take 2 or so bull caribou, and then have to fly back out.
    Does anyone know about this hunt and if it is happening this year?

What you're probably referring to is the winter hunt that used to happen for caribou in the Mulchatna herd. Folks would fly over, often out of Soldotna, and kill 1-2 caribou in the same day while making it home for dinner. That herd has taken a serious nosedive in numbers over the past five years, though, so it's not an option any longer. Without having the regs in front of me I can't recall whether it is fully closed or just not a good idea any longer, but I think it was completely closed.

The best meat hunt in Southcentral this time of year is for a pile of snowshoe hares.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

I think that is a hunt of yesterday..

the unit 9 herd has crashed hard and did not open this year at all...

you can fly north to the arctic herd.. and hunt them and fly home. still have to spend the night on the tundra though... but how hard it that?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

It may have changed but, what about deer Prince William Area, same day flight or boat charter. Still a few bears out on the Kenai, and fairly low.

Yeah, I thought about recommending black bears, but with the nighttime temps dipping into the low teens around here, I figure they're going to be tough to find. Deer in the Sound is a decent option, but it sounds like numbers are thin there this year.

I just saw two, but they were on the ugly side of Six-mile, not very get'able. But at least some are still out.