Thread: Which eyepiece to buy

Default Which eyepiece to buy

I would appreciate some advice on purchasing an additional eyepiece. I have a Kowa TSN-821 82mm with a 27x long eye relief eyepiece. I use it for hunting and target shooting. There are times when I would like to have a bit more magnification. I can't decide between a 50x wide angel or a 20-60 variable. What do you think?

Thanks for your help.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mikeo View Post
    I would appreciate some advice on purchasing an additional eyepiece. I have a Kowa TSN-821 82mm with a 27x long eye relief eyepiece. I use it for hunting and target shooting. There are times when I would like to have a bit more magnification. I can't decide between a 50x wide angel or a 20-60 variable. What do you think?

Thanks for your help.

Mike
    That 50X might be simply too much power unless you are a birder or other uber-close user.
    You do have the 27X which is probably great for the field, but for all-round use it sure seems like a winner to opt for the variable. You're killing several birds with one eyepiece.

I'm a big fan of variable eyepieces on good glass...that Kowa is a good one....

Default to fullkurl

Thanks for the input fullkurl, sound like good advice.

Mike

Ya, Franks right. I had two fixed power eyepieces for my Pentax. A 28x and 45x but, the 45x was not useable at times. They both gave excellent views but the convenience of a good zoom for hunting is really hard to beat. I now have a zoom that gives 17-52X on my scope and sold the other two eyepieces. Most of the time I'm at about 25-35x. 50x is only useful under certain conditions that's for sure. If the Kowa zoom is high quality you'd probably get a lot more use out of it.