Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LA` Coffee` PRESS

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default LA` Coffee` PRESS

OK I love my peculated coffee in the morning,. nothing like the sound of the old maxwell house commercials, combined with the growing sent of coffee brewing, to slowly wake every one else up...

i love getting up early and dropping the lid, and the percu, guts in that calamity of a ruckus to make heads rolls deeper into the bags. nothing finer then aluminum potted peculated coffee in the morning.. ...

or so i thought...

I have been getting a lot of hits and hints to get my self a French press... now i am not really into illegal or explicit actives that could be viewed or, sold on the WWW/net so have been a little hesitant about spending any moo-la on a French anything, let alone a FRENCH press... but i guess it is time to expand my horizones... and see what the French is about..

show me what you got. must be packable, able to with stand brutial rides in the ATV wagon... you know the ones... every thing rattles free and bangs around the bottom for 30 miles and the wagon tires only seen 15 miles of it... ( nothing like a grease gun that can't make that trip let me tell ya)

light enough for me to carry on my own endeavors in a pack... preferably one that will sit ON the MSR.

i looked at Beaver sports and they had some hoakyass, plastic to go cup thingys.... look like French burnt your tongue and staple it press.

what is the best time tested coffee brewing on the run machine out there?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

A french press is the way to go for backcountry coffee. I have a stainless steel GSI model we take on all float trips. No longer made, but many other models out there. Makes 32 ounces. Packs with handle into itself, very tough. TSA gorilla and float trip approved. There are some lexan models out that are pretty popular as well. Check REI and Campmor. Just use your pot to boil some water on the MSR and then pour into the french press, let stand 3-4 minutes (longer is stronger), then push top down, and pour. We take the Nalgene plastic bottles (polyethelyne) in 32 ounce for the coffee, 16 ounce for the powdered creamer, and 8 ounce for artificial sweetener. This works well or us and we get about 10 days worth of morning coffee (for two) with this set up. These plastic Nalgenes can be ordered from Campmor, perhaps www.wildernessdining.com as well. For coffee, order some Peet's Arabian Mocha Java from the Peet's website. This is not your ordinary coffee man. I am no coffee snob by any means. Read about this stuff a few years back in Backpacker magazine. Thought, what the hell, ordered a pound. Been ordering it ever since. Top shelf coffee. When you finalize the order, you get to choose the grind, choose "press pot". It is more coarse and won't get through the mesh in the french press. In my opinion, this is as good as camp coffee can get. Top of the day to ya

This looks nearly identical to the one I have (made by GSI), but it is 24 ounces, where mine is 32 ounces. Looks sharp.

http://www.rei.com/product/708069

Below are some other items that may be of interest to you...

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___82072

http://www.gsioutdoors.com/list.aspx?c=5&sc2=10

http://www.peets.com/shop/coffee_det...id=49&cid=1005

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___80872

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___80888

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___80892
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Wife bought me a lexan coffee press from GSI few years ago and i've been using it ever since. This thing is super tough, has been on atv hunts, float hunts, fishing trips, you name it and it keeps right on ticking. Mine came with a neoprene type sleeve to keep the coffee hot instead of keeping it on an open flame. I almost bought the Jet Boil coffee press but she beat me to it when she bought this one.
    http://www.amazon.com/GSI-GSIO-73410.../dp/B0018BNFE8

I know you already said you have an MSR stove, but I've got a french press for my jetboil and that thing is awesome! I won't do much hiking without it anymore.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

well that two on the jet boilly thing... not sure though it is about three times the size of my MSR seems like by the time i have it all together. but maybe both..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

but i am liking this one.....

dan you say this is similar to yours? and yours it bigger? ( he's 6& 1/2 foot tall... duh !)
    Attached Images Attached Images

meet on face book here

Ha ha... yeah, bigger. Mine is 32 ounces and this one is 24 ounces. To be honest, the one pictures looks identical to mine, same exact model but made by Snow Peak and a bit smaller. Must have bought the design from GSI or something. Mine is stainless and looks the exact same as this one. Awesome design for sure. Handle pops off and stores inside the unit for transport. The mesh in the plunger is easy to keep clean and works well. Really not much to go wrong on this design. Had mine for a few years now and it looks/performs as brand new. I prefer the metal to the lexan which most all models now seem to be. If looking for a good french press and you can deal with the 24 ounce size, I say go for it. Much lighter, more compact, and durable than other offerings in my opinion. Your camp coffee is about to take a swing for the better.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default Inspiration again Dan

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Ha ha... yeah, bigger.
    Dan, you've inspired me to change my sig pic and words. (yes, that is me in the pic and yes that is my truck. Oops, and yes, it is legal.)

That looks like a good time waiting to happen. You just never know when you might need to take a chopper out. 50 BMG (or something bigger) in the pic? I have an Armalite 50 BMG myself, but that is some serious muzzle flash up top

Lightbulb You're going to want this to go along with you're french press...

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    but i am liking this one.....

dan you say this is similar to yours? and yours it bigger? ( he's 6& 1/2 foot tall... duh !)
    ...quit looking and BUY A JETBOIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default a little 50?

That looks like a good time waiting to happen. You just never know when you might need to take a chopper out. 50 BMG (or something bigger) in the pic? I have an Armalite 50 BMG myself, but that is some serious muzzle flash up top
    Nope, that's a 2" bore. A couple of volkswagon rabbit springs insulate it somewhat from the Chevy frame. Only reason its legal is because it loads from the muzzle.

Take a look in my albums and see a larger pic Dan.

Its been inspected by the police once. After lots of looking and a very long pregnant pause, his only comment was that he could use one of those... in heavy traffic! (serious)
    Last edited by FamilyMan; 11-03-2009 at 18:44. Reason: oops, sorry for the hijack; its Dan's fault. ;-)

The french press I have only weighs a pound.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Nope, that's a 2" bore.
    Steve, that is just plain ole crazy man. I like it

Default oops...

Steve, that is just plain ole crazy man. I like it
    ... I try to hide the crazy part... did it slip out?

Again, yer gonna get me busted good for hijacking Dan...

Default How can you tell when your out of invisible ink?

Crazy recognizes crazy man

As for hijacking, who gives a shet, it is a coffee thread

Vince won't mind, he got the info he was looking for. And some BIG gun pics... Ha ha...

Crazy recognizes crazy man

As for hijacking, who gives a shet, it is a coffee thread

Vince won't mind, he got the info he was looking for. And some BIG gun pics... Ha ha...

oh and i NEVER jack a thred???

hey steve see that free bear hide... you should get that and make your self a snuggly/fuzzy man girddle

meet on face book here

Default creepy

That's just creepy, Vince.

YO! DAN! thanks for that link!

http://www.gsioutdoors.com/list.aspx?c=5&sc2=1

did you know that if you heat water in the perco pots with out the guts in it the top melts? and you can not find replacements here in AK>?

NOW I CAN!

so you guys that have spent the 65.00 on the big stainless camp pots only to have the perco top melt... here ya go!

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    That's just creepy, Vince.
    though NOT asd creepy as you cuttin gout my photos and filming them in your blender

meet on face book here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast