Thread: best hiking/hunting boots for the mountains

Default best hiking/hunting boots for the mountains

i'm trying to decide on a new pair of hunting/hiking boots. i want very durable, very comfortable, very grippy, and waterproof. I've heard LOWA is a good company. Anybody have any ideas about LOWA or any other company? Thanks so much. - John

Lowa, Kennetrek, Meindhl's.

I just got my Lowa's form shoebuy the other day. I've been rockin them often to break them in and they're just faaaaaaabulous.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

there are several threads on LOWA's in the out door gear sections...

also if you hit the search and got o advanced and type in Lowa boots in there you will get tons of posts on them
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Everyone has a different foot and fits different brands. Scarpa, Lowa, Danner, Asolo are all good brands and there are more out there. I would go to a good store like REI, AMH or Sportman's Wharehouse and try them all on.

a lot of brands out there. amh, barney's and rei in town have a great selection to start with.

it depends on your foot: arch, width, heel, etc.

also depends on the hiking/hunting you plan on doing. heavy pack loads? steep slopes? goat/sheep hunting or hitting the mountains for ptarmigan?

you options like the Lowa hunter/tibet models which are heavy duty and the asolo fsn 95, a lighter hiking boot which gets a lot of good reviews.

from what you were asking, i'd stay away from very stiff soled boots (mountaineering boots).

fyi, the lowa hunters/tibets (tibets are simply shorter versions of the hunters) run about a 1/2 size small and if you're borderline wide, i'd go with the wide.

good luck!

Boots should be a very *personal* choice. For customer service, I have found Merrill's to be excellent and I love their soles. I am currently using an ASOLO Fugitive as a light/medium hiker that have excellent support/comfort/construction, but I would prefer to the a more aggressive sole...I give it an 8.5 out of 10. For a little heavier and warmer use I am using a pair of Vasque boots that also have excellent support/comfort/construction. The point is, many of these boots are superior to any boot from 20 years ago...I have not used my rigid Kolfach (/sp) boots in years. The most important thing about them is learning how to tie the laces correct...I thought I knew how to tie a shoe until 4-5 years ago when I was *shown* the correct ways to tie them. The folks at AMH and REI showed me how and I will continue to give them my support as they are great folks. Oh yeah, Barney's is great too
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

A good boot is one that fits your feet. Don't get too wrapped up in one or two brand names. I tried on 5 or 6 different pairs of boots this summer while trying to find a new pair of hikers. As soon as I tried on the pair I bought I instantly knew they were the ones. So try on every boot that fits your general criteria, when you find the right fit you'll know.

Just a small list of quality boot manufacturers: Scarpa, Meindl, Lowa, Asolo, La Sportiva, AKU, Garmont, Kayland, Danner, Kennetrek, Raichle, Zamberlan

Not all of these brand can be found in Anchorage. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase any of these brands if the fit was right.

Green Superfeet insoles can make a good fit great. Swap the factory insoles out with a pair of Superfeet when your trying on boots.

Default Find a fit, find a brand...

I agree with the emphasis on fit by akfaller and subsequent contributors that there are many good shoe/boot makers available, but without a good fit it won't matter.

My experience with shoe companies is that they each build shoes based on a model foot or "last" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoe-last). If the last matches your foot well, then you have a happy marriage. Once in awhile, individuals will buy a brand, ignoring fit, then complain bitterly about the brand, when the shoe was a poor match for their foot to begin with.

I don't think "fit" is completely something you can measure in a store, but once I find a company whose last seems to match my foot well, I stick with the company. Good luck.

Default Lowa Boots

I used the Lowa GTX Extreme boot on a week long hunting trip to Kodiak Island two weeks ago and was very satisfied. I believe in heavy boots for big game hunting because you'll eventually be packing a heavy load of meat and you need the ankle protection. Hiking up steep, wet, grassy slopes wasn't mountain climbing but I was glad to have an aggresive boot.

Default perfekts by cabelas

cabelas sells the perfekt hunter and hiker made by meindl---the best boots I have ever worn--I work all day on my fet in them and hunt too.

I used to use the Lowa gtx but I got tired of trading them in on the one year warranty because ( so did the store that was selling them to me at 275 bucks a whak) after 1 or two week long trips in the rain and wet they would no longer keep waterproof and the stitching seperated at the rubber wraparound. They had almost sticky traction on the wet rocks though.

The Danner is a good boot for hunting. Tall waterproof and durable but their traction soles are scary on anything wet like snow rocks or grass. I have a pair that are just now breaking some stitches after 3 years of hard southeast use. And the gore tex is holding up good on these even the some of th stitching at the toe is starting to go.

Last year my ankle came apart at the seams in a pair of rubber boots and now its like a rubics cube held together by rubber bands. So I needed the best ankle support out there and got the meindl alaskan hiker.(I think cabellas is the only USA dealer) They have been very durable and waterproof. And I think they will accept a crampon. They Are super stiff boots so a little comfort is sacrificed and the traction is really good on most surfaces. The meindl boots are equal the Lowas in performance and design in my opinion.

Merrell caulked(corked) hikers, smartwools, and seal skinz to keep those feet dry...best hunting/ hiker for the woods ive found so far...

Default boots

Cabela MNT hunters are pretty good.

I just ordered a pair of Kenetrek - so I'll let you know how they work!