Thread: I have barrel built by JP Farley???????

Default I have barrel built by JP Farley???????

I have a 7mm rem mag barrel that is stamped ( jp farley rifles dec-7-1979). can anyone tell me about the maker of this barrel and the quality of farleys barrels. It is rough on the outside (never was fineshed real fancy still can see some lathe mrkings) but the chamber, the crown and the inside of the barrel look really good. Did he make the complete barrel? or who if known might he have bought his barrel blanks from? I beleave the barrel came off of a rem 700 action. Thanks.

Barrel makers don't mark their barrels except on the chamber end which gets turned off during fitting. The name marker is the gunsmith who installed it on the action. If the barrel maker installs it they might put their name on the side or bottom of the barrel.

I've never heard of jp farley, barrel maker or gunsmith but somebody is bound to know of him.

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith View Post
    I have a 7mm rem mag barrel that is stamped ( jp farley rifles dec-7-1979). can anyone tell me about the maker of this barrel and the quality of farleys barrels. It is rough on the outside (never was fineshed real fancy still can see some lathe mrkings) but the chamber, the crown and the inside of the barrel look really good. Did he make the complete barrel? or who if known might he have bought his barrel blanks from? I beleave the barrel came off of a rem 700 action. Thanks.

The only JP Farley I've ever heard about was a US Army Ordinance dept inspector who stamped some older colt pistols with JPF (circa 1870's). He also wrote a few books about military hardware. I wonder if it was another maker paying homage to him?

Default Douglas

I have one rifle barrelled by Flaig's in PA that has their name on the side and the Douglas markings and date on the bottom. It's from the 60s as I recall.

McGowen puts their name on the side of their barrels with the caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by KClark View Post
    Barrel makers don't mark their barrels except on the chamber end which gets turned off during fitting. The name marker is the gunsmith who installed it on the action. If the barrel maker installs it they might put their name on the side or bottom of the barrel.

I've never heard of jp farley, barrel maker or gunsmith but somebody is bound to know of him.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK