Thread: approaching your bait stand

Default approaching your bait stand

How to be safe when approaching your bait station With bait? When you have a lot of bears in the area. Don't want to make to much noise and ruin hunting for that day, Or is it best to make noise and sacrafice the day and hunt the next day. As well as leaving the stand after the hunt?
    I was about 5' off the ground and my Bow was tied to a string I was commited to the climb up to my stand when all at once a very large brown bear broke out of the woods about 20 yrd away. He looked at the bait barrel then up the hill to the tree that I was in. And in less than 2 shakes of a lambs tail he was running full speed straight at me with his hair standing stright up like a dog. There was no time to even pull out my 44 mag let alone to take aim and fire. He did however vear off at 8' from me. I proceeded to climb to my stand.
    When the shaking slowed down I reached into my pocket and pulled out my book that I was going to read to kill time. I motioned to my son as if he wanted to read it he declined it was a copy of ( BEAR TALES ) Stayed in the tree about hour and half then made a lot of noise yelling at the bear got down one at a time with safety off backed out of the area . GOOD HUNTING

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by AK DIMOND View Post
    How to be safe when approaching your bait station With bait? When you have a lot of bears in the area. Don't want to make to much noise and ruin hunting for that day, Or is it best to make noise and sacrafice the day and hunt the next day. As well as leaving the stand after the hunt?
    I was about 5' off the ground and my Bow was tied to a string I was commited to the climb up to my stand when all at once a very large brown bear broke out of the woods about 20 yrd away. He looked at the bait barrel then up the hill to the tree that I was in. And in less than 2 shakes of a lambs tail he was running full speed straight at me with his hair standing stright up like a dog. There was no time to even pull out my 44 mag let alone to take aim and fire. He did however vear off at 8' from me. I proceeded to climb to my stand.
    When the shaking slowed down I reached into my pocket and pulled out my book that I was going to read to kill time. I motioned to my son as if he wanted to read it he declined it was a copy of ( BEAR TALES ) Stayed in the tree about hour and half then made a lot of noise yelling at the bear got down one at a time with safety off backed out of the area . GOOD HUNTING
    that is a question posed by many new bear hunters....

do you want to sneak in and chance jumping one?

If you know you have Grizz on your bait best bet is to make noise and let them know your coming..

we all ways make a racket headed in with food. tells them we are on the way and new food is there;;;

have some one make a racket going back out. and stay on the bait..

IF, you have a good bait the bears will wait a few and wander out shortly after the food wagon left. we have seen them in the brush waiting for us to leave..

Grizz will protect a bait, until it is gone. blackies will come and go..

you don't ruin a day hunting by walking in. if it is ... there was not anything there anyway. and if its brown.. Just go home for the day, or back to camp until it leaves.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I enjoy walking in and seeing bears on the bait when we get there, whether we are there to hunt or not. I like the idea of the bears being used to us, I don't care if they see us or not. We have baits that at least 90% of the time there are bears on the bait when we walk in. Most of the time they run up a tree or sit there watching us re-bait from distance, and that's fine.

We never make a bunch of noise when checking baits either, unless we are hauling in bait on the 4 wheeler. You never know, you may catch a big bear in there during a bait check.

I've seen a noon-time re bait with a 9-10 pm sneak to stand.

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Default Bait bears

One of the things that I have always wondered is, why is it I see hunters relax after taking game in an area, like what they got is all there is, when we have all heard the stories of the second bear or buck comes charging .
    Isn't it true that a gunshot attracts the preditors ?

Default I always walk in as quiet

as I can. If I have to bring food in, I take the atv in loaded and then make a lot of noise while "re-filling" the bait. This is kind of the "dinner" bell for them. I have shot quite a few bears off of bait after sneaking in. We have shot many a bear and while skinning had others walk right into the bait next to us, so a gun shot does not scare the rest away. When they are hungry, they will come in no matter what. I would say that this holds true for more of the younger bears as the big bears are usually big because they are a bit smarter.