Thread: appropriate or not

Default appropriate or not

A loose dog keeps coming over and helping himself to the dog pot we cook for the dogs everyday. Personally getting pretty tired of dealing with it. Nice dog, just a pain for me. Have taken him home and tied him up, talked to owner, kicked him, and now am thinking of something else.

If I turned one of my wheel dogs loose while he is eating their dog food, would that be unethical? sooner or later that whole line is going to give when I'm not around, and that loose dog will have a whole pack on him. I was thinking my alpha may just straighten him out enough so he doesn't come near their food. Or he may just dive into the dog pot himself

Just thinking a lesson in respect for those other dogs may keep him from getting torn to shreds later.

ps don't even ask about animal control... that is usually done er... ummm ... kind of.... individually and I don't want to kill the dog.

thanks

just shoot the owner, its not the dogs fault anyhow.
    Semper Fi!

despite the feelings there, I'm not going to entertain that thought.

does he look like a good sled dog? maybe one day you should latch him up and make him work for his food. I'm sure your team would straighten out any attitude pretty quickly;P

Quote Originally Posted by @MB View Post
    does he look like a good sled dog? maybe one day you should latch him up and make him work for his food. I'm sure your team would straighten out any attitude pretty quickly;P
    that's what I was thinking...just keep him.

ummm round as he is long. Not buying a custom harness to fit him He should be a bird dog, but doesn't like to swim. His owner wasn't to pleased when my birdy dog went out and got his dummy, after fatty got deeper than his legs would reach. Thought I was doing a good deed until I knocked on the door and gave him the dummy back.

It's a good thing the neighbor's grandkids like that mutt and he is mild mannered.

question still is: Am I within my bounds to let ole' Guy off the chain or not? It's going to happen; just wondering what you all think.

Maybe if you were to unleash one of your dogs he should be on a rope that is only long enough to let him chase him away but not follow and kill him. Not to mention giving you a way to control your dog if he does take chubby down. I don't think your neighbour would be happy coming home to a carcass at his door.

No won't let the dog kill or maim him, just try to educate him in a new way as others haven't worked.

Default Michael, is that you?

Is this Michael Vick starting this thread?? heh heh!

Do you have an extra shock collar around? Does the owner not care at all? A bb gun might do the trick. I personally wouldn't let any dog I owned go after it, cause that can get ugly, then you'll be paying the vet bill to this lazy owner.

Tough call. Surprising how people don't care where their animals roam nowadays, and get mad if you ask them to keep thier dog out of your yard.

Good Luck! Let us know what you do and how it turns out!

Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

I wouldn't typically want to harm the dog either, but if you've already talked to the owners, and it is still happening, that is just blantant disregard for their own dog's safety and their responsibilities. At that point my position may change on what to do with their loose dog.

Not sure if the dog is eating out of the big pot you cook/make the food for your team, or out of your dog's dishes when feeding. Can't see how it could be the latter, my dogs would chew up any dog trying that <grin>. If it's the former, certainly you could cover the dog pot so it can't get to it. Doesn't solve the overall problem of the dog coming around.

I guess, were it me, at this point, I'd talk to the owners again and tell them I was fed up and just was not gonna tolerate it any longer, and if one of my dogs ate their dog...well so it goes.

Rugger, was this resolved? Is Chubby still coming around for a treat on the sneak or did you let ol' Guy give him what for? I'm thinking of a time a problem dog kept coming around our house when we were kids. My dad followed it home, talked to the owner etc. as well. He solved the problem by tying a tin can on it's tail with a note inside saying something to the effect that if he could catch the dog and tie a can on its tail he could just as well have shot it. The note or the humiliation/noise for the dog...something worked as we didn't see it again.
    Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North
    http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/

Does this shotgun make my butt look big?

yep fatty decided that he didn't like the idea of Guy and Boomer nipping at his tail. I was just dang impressed they stopped and came back when i yelled at them near the property line.

Now that there are drifts piled high we're cooking inside. But next year I'll have to try to weld up a cooker high enough to keep problems out and low enough for the wife to get food out without harping on me

No won't let the dog kill or maim him, just try to educate him in a new way as others haven't worked.