Thread: Shotshell ? for 10mm

Default Shotshell ? for 10mm

I have seen .40S&W shotshells. The case also forms the bullet portion then is wax filled or the like. So since the bullet part of the case goes into the barrel, would this pose a problem or be fine then in a .10mm?

It could pose a problem since the 40 and 10mm head space on the case mouth.
    On the other hand I have seen 40 s&w shot in 10mm 1911 pistols with no apparent ill effects.
    In that case the extractor holds the case against the face of the slide so the firing pin hits it.
    I don't know how hard this is on the extractor though.

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    I have seen .40S&W shotshells. The case also forms the bullet portion then is wax filled or the like. So since the bullet part of the case goes into the barrel, would this pose a problem or be fine then in a .10mm?
    Should work if you have an extractor that has a firm grip on the rim.

Where did you see them and who makes them? If they can make them for a 40 they should be able to make them for a 10 in the same equipment. It would also be possible to order a set of custom dies to neck down a long case to load your own. For brass if we do some looking I bet we can find a rifle case that we could cut down and form into this shape, I bet they use 10mm brass for the 40 shot round you describe.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Where did you see them and who makes them? If they can make them for a 40 they should be able to make them for a 10 in the same equipment. It would also be possible to order a set of custom dies to neck down a long case to load your own. For brass if we do some looking I bet we can find a rifle case that we could cut down and form into this shape, I bet they use 10mm brass for the 40 shot round you describe.

Sportsman Warehouse has them, or they did a few days ago. They were not like all the others though, the case was extended and formed into the bullet shape too, then crimped over and waxed shut to hold the shot.

I just thought since the bullet stays with the case, it couldn't hurt the spacing difference or damage the barrel. I imagine they are not as powerfull as normal loaded bullet. But that is why I am asking before I try.

Like the others said the head space is set off the end of the case for 40S&W and 10mm, in this case there will be a shoulder where a normal case ends that will dictate head space. A 40S&W in a 10mm chamber has exclusive head space and will depend on the extractor to hold the case from falling too deep in the 10mm chamber. The extractor likely will hold it there but this will add stress to the extractor. The springs are stronger in a 10 than a 40 and shot shells are weaker recoil so I don't know if it will cycle or not.

The big caution with exclusive head space is usually associated with rifle rounds that have higher pressures than most handguns including the 40 and10mm. What can happen is the pressure holds the case wall tight to the chamber wall but since the back of the case is not supported due to the exclusive head space the pressure blows the case head off allowing a gas escapee out the back. Most of the time, even in a rifle, all this means is you will need a broken case extractor and a head space repair. However this is considered a dangerous condition because sometimes it can blow up the gun injuring or killing the shooter. The risk of this with a 40 in a 10mm is extremely low and even lower with a shot round like this, but you should understand it is a risk however small.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

40 shotshells won't generate enough recoil to operate the slide on a 40 pistol. I believe it's printed on the packaging. I've fired thousands of 40's through a Glock 20 and Colt Delta Elite and every rounds have gone bang, did it because the 40 ammo was free.The only thing I've noticed was that accuracy was not up to par as 10mm ammo. Still got the same extractors in those guns.