Thread: electric fence

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default electric fence

has anyone tried an electric fence for bear deterents while camping or home use? and if so what kind and how much did it cost? and how did it do?

Default Electric Fences

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakcombo View Post
    has anyone tried an electric fence for bear deterents while camping or home use? and if so what kind and how much did it cost? and how did it do?
    Try this one out:

http://www.zarebasystems.com/product...ls.aspx?id=247

I have one and like it. I haven't seen an animal touch it yet. It around $100

Marc Taylor has electric fences at Wiggy's Alaska, over off Dimond on Old Seward. I've never used one but the video is impressive!

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

great, thanks.

Default on a fence...

If you are looking for a back pack model Marc's got a nice light set up over at Wiggy's. I opted for a sllightly larger and in my opinion versatile unit from Fence Emporium in Palmer. I use it on fly in, floats and base camp.

Do a search on this forum there has been a several threads in the past. Here are a few links that may help you out.

http://www.absc.usgs.gov/research/br...ic_fencing.htm

http://www.wc.adfg.state.ak.us/index...fences#vendors

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ighlight=fence

Win do you think it worth the money? I have been looking at them, but just wondering if they really work.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I use an electric fence at home to protect our goats and chickens. I have six strands of inexpensive braided wire. The key to getting the fence to work effectively is proper grounding. Place multiple ground rods ten feet apart. I also have the bottom and 3rd from bottom lines run as grounds. If anything contacts a hot wire and a ground wire at the same time, it will definitely give a good jolt.
    We have our chicken coop and goat pen inside a perimeter of electric fencing with a traditional gate, for ease of use.
    I believe they have a similar setup over at Brook's Camp at the fishcleaning cabin.

Thumbs up Fence

I was lucky enough to join my father-in-law on a bear hunt on Karluk Lake this fall. We heard that they work well and brought one with us. After seeing 10+ bears flying on the shore line and having one come within 20 yards as we packed our gear up the bank we both said hope this fence works.
    as we set it up we had to laugh. We had got the backpackers type. Braided wire. We made two wraps around the tent first wire was 8" up and second was about 15" up in spots.
    Then darkness came. We lay in the tent and prayed that thing was working. About 12am right next to me I heard this HUFF and felt the ground shake as the bear ran off and hit the water. Talk about your heart pounding. WOW!
    This went on every night of the hunt. By the time we left I can tell you that we will never go to Kodiak without one.
    I'm a believer.

Default Set Up...$100...Peace of Mine...Priceless

Hey Gray sorry for the delay...

Depends on what you're need is and what you are looking to buy. I paid close to $180 for my whole set up.. I have a set up large enough to surround a small battle field... Then as I plan a hunt I just figure out what I'll need in the field and pare it down. The rest is extra, back up stuff and of course if I ever need a large area covered I can do that too...

I bought mine for the sole purpose of surrounding a gear cache and/or cataraft/canoe... We landed on a river and left a cache of float gear and then spent a week or more up in the mountains doing mountain stuff... Then return to our gear, set up and float... the fence is cheap insurance (peace of mind) that your stuff won't be shredded upon your return.

One side note: We don't cache food items inside the fence. I use those small bear proof barrels and cache up to 10 days worth of Mt.House meals (per barrel).. I'll leave them outside the fence 100yds or so away... My thought is that if there is no food inside the fence then all my fence has to do is discourage couriosity... And in my mind that is easier than discouraging a hungry bear.

Once we started floating I used the fence around the cataraft at night. It only takes 15 minutes to set up and again is peace of mind....

I don't take it on every hunt but will likely use it at any base camp and/or with any float...

I could have purchased a smaller amount of "stuff" and would have likely saved $... If a guy was frugal I could see putting together a system for $100...

You know as well as I that here in Alaska your camp is often your tools for survival... Gear worth several thousands of dollars and survival being priceless a $100 dollar fence set up is, IN MY MIND, worth it....

However, a fence WILL NOT cover errors made in back country WISDOM.... We just use it as an added layer of protection...

Default yellow jacket

Does anyone know where I could pick up a yellow jacket charger in Anchorage? I've tried a few places and everyone seems to be out of stock right now. I'm trying to build my own fence and save a few bucks.

Thanks,
    Richard

Default Alaska Mill & Feed...

used to have electric fence supplies in Anchorage:
    Phone: (907) 276-6016. Email: info@alaskamillandfeed.com

Good luck.

Default One of each Zareba/fido shock

I have one of each and the fido shock consistently tests at a higher voltage than the yellow jacket. The fido shock only requires two D cells and they both lasted a ten day hunt with one set of batteries.I don't know that anything has touched either one but, I had a bear on Kodiak walk around it about 12 feet away which made me think he had touched it previously. I got everything but the yellow jacket charger from ak mill and feed and spent roughly $220.00 for two set ups. Get a tester and ground rods, any grass or brush blown on fence will ground it. Here is a couple pics in service on Kodiak.

I used a Zareba Yellowjacket with good results. We built everything from stuff from my hardware store...Wire, bamboo stakes to hold the wire, etc.. I was given the Yellowjacket by a friend. We also took a UDAP kit with us. The charger in the UDAP emitted a shrill whine when it sent out a charge and it was nearly impossible to sleep through. The Yellowjacket was just a nice rythmic tap. I got zapped once with mine and it was enough to REALLY get my attention.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I was wondering if I should get one, since I like to solo hunt alot...or am I just tempting faith? ...I guess its just a matter of time...