Thread: How do you lock up & photograph...

Default How do you lock up & photograph...

usin' the Rebel XT? I tried the "Clean Sensor" method on the advanced menu options, but couldn't releasse the shutter...help!

Thanks in Advanced!

gogoalie

Do you mean mirror lock up? It's hidden in custom function 7.
    Google is your friend.

On some newer Canons there is an auto cleaning mode that vibrates the sensor in hopes of shaking off any loose dust. I don't think the XT has that though. When you use the normal (manual) Clean Sensor option it locks up the mirror, and opens the shutter. This allows access to the sensor so you can clean it. The camera locks in this condition. The way to get the shutter to close and the mirror to come down is to turn the camera off. Or you could wait until the battery dies.

Does that address your problem?

Default Well...

I did do the mirror lock up but the Camera turned off...so it won't take a picture...I am thinking maybe the Bulb function on the time setting perhaps...& use the remote...I don't know...I'll google it up...

Make sure that you use a fully-charged battery. Also make sure that there is no dust in the room:

-Remove the lens from the camera.
    -Turn the XT's power button ON.
    -Switch to a Mode such as Av.
    -Press and release the Menu button, and move across the Menus to the one all the way to the right (you should see Sensor Cleaning in this menu).
    -Choose "Sensor Cleaning."
    -Move the highlight to OK.
    -Press and release the SET button (when you do that, the mirror locks-up automatically).
    -Clean the sensor
    -Turn the power button OFF (the mirror now drops in place)

The reason why a fully charged battery is needed is because the camera is using battery power to hold the mirror UP while you are cleaning the sensor.
    ------------------
    Anyways, recharge the battery and go through all the menus to make sure you didn't choose a long exposure, noise reduction or something. Place the Mode to fully auto, and see what the camera does.

Default Ray...

Am wantin' to take a long time exposure...with out the camera slap...

Sorry If I didn't make that clear enough...

Ohhhhh! You want to take a time exposure on the camera's bulb setting, and you want the mirror locked up before the exposure starts. Do I have it right now?

I don't know how to do that on an XT. Actually, I'm not sure it's even possible. Some cameras can & some can't. On some Canons the mirror lock up is tied to the 2 second shutter delay. You could try that in conjunction with the bulb setting for the shutter speed.

In any case, it's probably not needed. Mirror slap causes vibrations for maybe 1/8 second. That's going to show on exposures from 1/15 to 1/2 second or so. At very long exposures the time of the vibration is so overwhelmed by the much longer time of the rest of the exposure. Different cameras have slightly different results, but all the tests that I have seen show that at 1 second or longer, mirror lock up is unneeded.

Default Yes...

That's exactly what I am trying to achieve...it seems as though my exposures are blurry for some unknown reason even on a tripod, with either a timer or a remote, so I want to take a photograph with the mirror locked up to see if it's slap that is making my photo's blurry...if is mirror slap makin' my photo's blurry, then I can remedy that...if I do the mirror lock up & the photos are still blurry, then I'll send my camera to get the sensor cleaned or worked on...

Thanks Jim!

I see...what you want is called "Mirror Lock-up."

Do as follows:
    -Set the Mode to Av.
    -Turn the camera power button ON.
    -Press and release the Menu button.
    -Move to the menu all the way to the right (has tools icon followed by "2") using the arrows in the back of the camera.
    -With the same arrows scroll down to "Custom Functions (C.Fn), and choose it.
    -This will get you to the Customs Menu, and you can tell because at the bottom of the screen you will see a series of digits as follows:

01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09

When you see those digits at the bottom of the screen, rotate the wheel behind the shutter button... clockwise, and stop at digit "07." This digit is "Mirror Lockup."

So, once you have moved the little bar below the digits all the way to "07,"
    press and release the SET button in the center of the arrows at the back of the camera, and then move UP with the arrow to ANABLE mirror lockup.

Don't forget to set things back (disable mirror lockup) once you have taken the photos.
    -------

You can easily check the sensor for dust built-up on it by doing the following:

Set the Mode to AV, set the AF/M switch on the lens to M (manual focus), point the camera to a clear sky, move the lens' focus to infinite (the little figure 8 on the lens), close the lens using the wheel behind the shutter button to f/16, or f/22 or so (you will see the f/numbers changing when you turn the wheel), and finally take a couple of pictures.

Download the image to your computer, and then zoom-in to perhaps 100% or more. If there is dust on the sensor, it will show on the photo. At this point, you can choose to clean it yourself, or let Canon do it for you. By the way, if you forget the lens switch on M (manual focus), when you take photos with your camera they won't be sharp unless you focus the lens manually. To prevent this, switch the lens to AF.

Default Ray! YOU ROCK!

Thanks!!!!!

+1 coming your way!

Let us know the results. According to what I've read mirror lockup shouldn't have a noticeable effect on exposures 1 second or longer, but maybe the books are wrong. Something that will often effect sharpness of long exposures is a flimsy tripod.