Thread: Arctic Cat Jag 440 long track for trapping?

Default Arctic Cat Jag 440 long track for trapping?

I am looking for a used trapping sled. I know that the Ski-Doo Tundra and Scandic are great sleds for trapping. What do you all think about a Arctic Cat Jag 440 Long Track?

Thanks!

Ken

Default jag

Be really careful. I bought one of these and it blew the track out after a few minutes of riding. The track is completely obsolete and I couldn't even find a used one. I ended up adapting a powder special suspension and I think a skidoo track. It is a great machine now and I still only have about 1200-1500.00 into it. Then I bought an 09 RMK and it hasn't been ridden since.
    With that said, the reason the tundra and the bravo are such good trapping sleds is because they are extremely light weight (handy when stuck by yourself), single cylinder (great gas mileage), and very little can go wrong with them. The Jag is a very heavy trail machine.
    John

16x156 Track? What year? Should work fine. The extra power is big help breaking trails and going uphill. I have a 92 Jag, parts has not been a problem. I have had problems finding stuff for my 93 Tundra.
    Tim

Supporting Member

Default AC Jag

Ran a 1994 440 Jag long track for years and never had any mechanical issues with it and was happy with the fuel economy. Installed a reverse kit in it and it made it a lot easier getting out of situations and with loading/unloading. Only reason I upgraded to a new sled was for the electric start (after shoulder surgery). Just recently gave the sled to my daughter in Fairbanks and expect it will see rather easy service from here on out.

With that said, the reason the tundra and the bravo are such good trapping sleds is because they are extremely light weight (handy when stuck by yourself), single cylinder (great gas mileage), and very little can go wrong with them. The Jag is a very heavy trail machine.
    I'd go with the Bravo too. It has a narrower stance compared to all the other machines which makes it easier to weave through the trees, I can pick it up and load it by myself or unstick it and it's mechanically simple.

Add a set of ski-skins and hitch a sled up to the back of it and you're in business.
    Now what ?

Smile Bravo owner here

I have a bravo and like everyone is saying its light , manuverable, simple and good on gas, 70 below 3 pulls and it starts, what a workhosre sled, 2 adults a sled and a small caribou and it pulled us around with no issues. you may not get where you are going fast but you will get there and back. definately a machine worthy of an investment. i believe brand new under 4000

Anyone know of a local source of ski skins for a bravo?

Have the Bravo guys ever tried another machine?
    Tim

If you can find one Arctic Cat Super Jag it's a 440 with a 15 x 156 track, light weight hard to get stuck great power to weight ratio and all parts are still readily available.

Kenai pen, in summer. Matsu vally in winter

I was also wondering if the guys with brovo's have tried anything other sleds but. I have had about every trapping sled you can get but a brovo.
    I have a bear cat now its ok but my buddy has to break trail in deep snow in the woods on his brovo. I ust to have a elan and it would go anywhere. Never had a sled behind it but i would like to have one now or a brovo.
    I personaly think if you haft to break a trail in the deep stuff thrue the woods that the lightest sled would be the best Brovo, tundra, elan, .
    Once the trail is in then about anything would work.. I gess i should bite the bullet and get one.

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    Anyone know of a local source of ski skins for a bravo?

Yamaha dealers may have them, but most bushkins I know get them from Dennis Kirk and such because they're an aftermarket item.

Have the Bravo guys ever tried another machine?
    I have run Polaris', the 440 Sport, and 440 Sport Touring. They are best kept on broken trails and more open country.

The Bravo is in a class by itself.
    Now what ?

Default bravo owner

I rode some other older heavy sleds, the names I have long forgot, I have broke trail for other sleds and 4 wheelers with my bravo and it just kept going, great machine dont need alot of snow to run it either, all i have to do now is get a bit luckier on my trapline's and when i go out looking for furbearers

Smile

I think that once you get a bravo you stop trying other machines.

Actually I don't own one, but I've tried them and I like them.
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

I have a 377 skandic, a tundra ii and a bravo. I like the tundra and bravo for early season and for breaking trails and exploring. I like the bigger machine for cruising after the trails broke. I've unstuck the skandic enough to appreciate the lighter machines alot more.

I use the bravo more than any of the others...has never let me down and never left me out on the trail.

Default bravo LT alumni

I drove a Bravo Lt 1991 as a kid and loved it. It would rarely get stuck unless bruch got caught on a ski. Fairly bulletproof until about 2500 miles then it quit running but I was not into fixing it at the time, so it sat and rotted. 49 mph max downhill with the wind, but a fun machine. Would deffinetly buy another if it came along at the right price.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by roybekks View Post
    I drove a Bravo Lt 1991 as a kid and loved it. It would rarely get stuck unless bruch got caught on a ski. Fairly bulletproof until about 2500 miles then it quit running but I was not into fixing it at the time, so it sat and rotted. 49 mph max downhill with the wind, but a fun machine. Would deffinetly buy another if it came along at the right price.
    those bravos are still good sleds...

but everyone should start out like i did...

1972 rupp nitro II.. 340 air cooled..

fastes on the track... fastest in the ditch... fastest to make you buddie tired of pulling you out
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here