Thread: Draw Permits and RC566

Default Draw Permits and RC566

With the info on RC566 reading:

Individuals who are awarded an RC566 permit MAY NOT hunt moose or caribou outside of Unit 13 in the year they are awarded the permit.

it looks like if you draw a moose permit outside Unit 13 you may as well toss it in the trash---or perhaps your application is discarded?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by sigabrt View Post

Individuals who are awarded an RC566 permit MAY NOT hunt moose or caribou outside of Unit 13 in the year they are awarded the permit.

it looks like if you draw a moose permit outside Unit 13 you may as well toss it in the trash---or perhaps your application is discarded?

oh they will toss it for you.. if your applying or unit 13 bou... you get once every 4 years. and if you win.. you don' get to play with the rest of us... any where else... If you apply and win.. you do not get to choose it as it is not one of the 3 draw choices under the normal draw..

also if you don't apply you loose your place in line... ...

if you win and dont apply ... you loose your place in line even though you can not hunt if for 3 more years any way.

price you will pay for hunting in the most sought after hunts in the state.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by sigabrt View Post

Keep in mind also that this applies to everyone in the "household" as well. If a tier I caribou permit is awarded to the household, noone in the household is allowed to hunt caribou or moose in any other GMU for that year.

Exactly, now I have to call F&G in the morning. Thought I was just able to apply for another bonus(if you wanna call it that) point and now it looks like I'm actually putting in for maybe being obligated with winning this permit. Which I may down the line to give my kids a chance at a caribou. But I'm going to call tomorrow to get my name taken out of the hat if I can't get a bonus point I don't care to get the tag this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Exactly, now I have to call F&G in the morning. Thought I was just able to apply for another bonus(if you wanna call it that) point and now it looks like I'm actually putting in for maybe being obligated with winning this permit. Which I may down the line to give my kids a chance at a caribou. But I'm going to call tomorrow to get my name taken out of the hat if I can't get a bonus point I don't care to get the tag this year.
    I belive they only did that the first year (2009) because the rules came out so late and they figured a lot of people already had prior commitments to other hunts. This way, they would give people an opportunity to just opt for the bonus point without risking losing their investment in the other hunt. Now that this is the 2nd year of the program and the applications are much earlier, there is a lot smaller chance that people are already comitted (at least financially) to other hunts and thus can make the decision of whether to "risk" going for the Tier I hunt.

Selfishly speaking, I'd like to see the Tier I/II applications still done in May. By then I would know if I had won a drawing permit, and thus would know whether I want to apply. As it stands now, I didn't apply for a Nelchina permit this year since I'm not willing to commit to only hunting Unit 13 next year. There will be some years that works for me, but not next year. If I didn't win any drawing permits I might change my tune, but...

I suppose it's working as intended, though. They seem to want to make this hunt as undesirable as possible to get less people to apply. At least in my case, mission accomplished.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Selfishly speaking, I'd like to see the Tier I/II applications still done in May. By then I would know if I had won a drawing permit, and thus would know whether I want to apply. As it stands now, I didn't apply for a Nelchina permit this year since I'm not willing to commit to only hunting Unit 13 next year. There will be some years that works for me, but not next year. If I didn't win any drawing permits I might change my tune, but...

I suppose it's working as intended, though. They seem to want to make this hunt as undesirable as possible to get less people to apply. At least in my case, mission accomplished.

not to hard for me, I stopped applying in 1999, after they changed the forms and i no longer qualified. havent missed it since.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Thumbs up

This hunt was selected to be the forefront of Social Experiementation. It has gone through many modifications to reach the ulitmate goal. It is very close to being what originally had been dreamed of, except for the pesky State of Alaska Constitution keeps getting in the way. Community Harvest Hunts will be expanded throughout the State, as soon as the guys in the Black Robes validate the process and codify it into law. Those that have ignored it, have forfieited their priveleges and their childrens priveleges FOREVER.

BTW: I really do hope those that have ignored it, enjoy being disenfranchised and can look at their children in the eye and tell them "Yes, I knowingly allowed you to become a Second Class Citizen".
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Selfishly speaking, I'd like to see the Tier I/II applications still done in May. By then I would know if I had won a drawing permit, and thus would know whether I want to apply.
    It would be nice if they did the Tier I tags either before or after the draw tags. Its hard to decide to dontate $40-$50 to ADF&G knowing that you might have all your other tags wipedout, assuming you drew more than one. But, on the other hand, atleast you know if you draw it one year, you wont get it for 4 more.

Quote Originally Posted by B-radford View Post
    It would be nice if they did the Tier I tags either before or after the draw tags. Its hard to decide to dontate $40-$50 to ADF&G knowing that you might have all your other tags wipedout, assuming you drew more than one. But, on the other hand, atleast you know if you draw it one year, you wont get it for 4 more.
    Very true. In fact I foresee skipping on the caribou and moose draws and applying for the Tier I the year we have "family planning" going into effect as the 10+ miles 'bou packout might be a little rough for Mrs. Lanche when she's also carrying my future packer along as well.