Thread: 24-26 foot Olympics.....????

Default 24-26 foot Olympics.....????

I have been looking at Ocean Boats for the last year and now I am trying to narrow it down somewhat.
    Unfortunately most of my looking is on Craigs and occasionally I get a chance to walk around a harbor and take a closer look. That's one of the drawbacks to living in the Interior.

Anyway I have seen a number of Olympics for sale over the last year or so, that type of boat appeals to me, but I am not locked into a Olympic in any way. I am most interested in a 24-26 footers, and some of them are even in my price range!
    It seems that for what ever reason the 24 footers are typically more money the 26 footers are?

So far I have seen 7- 26 footers for sale, 2 with 225 HP OB'S, 2 w/ 4 cylinder Volvo Diesels w. dou-props and 3 w/ 5.0 IB'S.

Prices range from 10-28 K, all were built between 1980 and 1988 with the oldest the most expensive?

During that same time I have seen 9- 24 footers posted, 1 w/ a 5.0 IB, 3 w/ 5.7 IB'S and 5 w/ 200 HP (or larger) OB'S. Prices range from 18 -38 K. The 24's were typically newer boats from 1984 to 1998 and maybe this is the biggest reason for the higher asking price?

Now, I know a lot of things come in to play w/ pricing, overall condition of boat and equipment, how many hours, type and age of electronics, radar, maintenance schedule, etc. but all the boats appeared to be reasonably well equipped w/ extras & all of them were advertised as a “turn-key” outfit. These listings were all “asking price” and some of them I have seen listed repeatedly at lower and lower prices, so I don't really know what they may have sold for.

So why the big difference in pricing between the 24 & 26?
    Are these decent boats? Any particular things I should be aware of, or be looking for when inspecting?
    Lastly, what about the power plants? I will most likely be a occasional user so I would be willing to trade the economy of a diesel for the speed of a gas motor.
    Is the duo-prop the best outdrive in this size boat?
    Do the IB'S have reasonable access to the engine for maintenance?

Thanks and I would appreciate any and all input......................John
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

I am not sure on the price difference, but would agree on the power plant. For a boat that size, there is no reason to have a diesel, in my opinion. Best benefit of a small boat, is you can get out more often, even for short time, so you would need the speed. One thing I like about olympics, is some have outboards. If it has a nice yamaha or a honda, it would be great. The only drawback is you can't run a cabin heater from outboards.
    Another issue I found in olympics, is aestetics. In my opinion, the finish could be better, not sure why they are so expensive. As far as layout of the deck, I like bayliner trophy better, but some olympics come with a second steering wheel on the deck, which can be a plus, when trolling. Although I don't think it's the visibility from the deck is that great, if you troll from there.

Default Step on before you buy

I also like the lay out of the 24-26ft Olympics. I currently own a 20 foot Olympic and am looking to up grade to a bigger boat. I had the opportunity to buy a friend's 26ft Olympic. He had recently installed new gas tanks. He said that the Olympics had a structural problem in that water eventually seeps into the back deck and rusts out the tanks. He has seen it in more that one boat. I myself have seen it in 2 boats that have been for sale here in Sitka. One of them I was looking at in the harbor - I hopped on board to get a closer look at the kicker and as I approached, it felt like I was walking on a sponge. I didn't need to see the kicker anymore. Check out that back deck before you buy.

I have a 24ft Olympic. Just put a 2009 225hp Suzuki on it at the beginning of the summer. Love the boat. My previous boat was a Hewes Craft I liked it to for different reasons mostly because off less maintenence. However I know I wouldn't trade them straight across. I'm very pleased with the Olympic. I think the floors on the newer Olympics are a little different too. I've looked at some 80's models that were built way different than mine. My floor is solid as a rock.

Quote Originally Posted by akroxy View Post
    I also like the lay out of the 24-26ft Olympics. I currently own a 20 foot Olympic and am looking to up grade to a bigger boat. I had the opportunity to buy a friend's 26ft Olympic. He had recently installed new gas tanks. He said that the Olympics had a structural problem in that water eventually seeps into the back deck and rusts out the tanks. He has seen it in more that one boat. I myself have seen it in 2 boats that have been for sale here in Sitka. One of them I was looking at in the harbor - I hopped on board to get a closer look at the kicker and as I approached, it felt like I was walking on a sponge. I didn't need to see the kicker anymore. Check out that back deck before you buy.
    thanks for the heads up, do you know if that issue is true for all the 26 footers? or just a particular time period?
    Are they self bailing?
    TR

Quote Originally Posted by johnscd View Post
    I have a 24ft Olympic. Just put a 2009 225hp Suzuki on it at the beginning of the summer. Love the boat. My previous boat was a Hewes Craft I liked it to for different reasons mostly because off less maintenence. However I know I wouldn't trade them straight across. I'm very pleased with the Olympic. I think the floors on the newer Olympics are a little different too. I've looked at some 80's models that were built way different than mine. My floor is solid as a rock.
    Johnscd, what year is your 24 footer?
    Are you happy with Suzie? Have you had a chance to establish typical fuel usage?
    Thanks
    John
    TR

I think the boats that I was looking at were late 80s through early 90s. I do not believe they are self bailing; my 20fter is not. It was built in 82 before they knew how much glass to use. It is built like a tank from top to bottom although it's age is showing over the past couple of seasons. Interestingly, since you 1st posted, a 1989 24 ft Olympic came for sale. I will have to go check it out.

My Olympic is a 1993 w/ a self bailing deck. I am very happy with the Suzuki. I have owned the boat since August of 06. Previous motor was a 1993 225hp Evinrude Ocean Pro two stroke. But what a difference with the Suzuki. I was out in PWS last week me and one other person and enough hunting gear, food and water for seven days. Came back with three deer. Going off of info from the digital gauge on the boat we ran out to Montague- Port Chalmers (flat calm) 4800rpm's, 31mph at 12gph. The digital gauges seem to be pretty darn accurate when I've done comparisons at the gas pump with the gps and calculator. The whole trip to Montague and back with some minor beach cruising and bay exploring we burned roughly 75 gallons of fuel. I thought that was great especially since we came back in some pretty rough weather until we got past Knight Island. My Olympic has a 110 gallon aluminum fuel tank and I have been deer hunting in the Sound every year since I've owned it. This was the first year I was never concerned about running out of gas and in previous years with the Evinrude I packed an extra 50 gallons. We never came close to running out with the old motor but It was always on the back of my mind when hunting. This year I took 35 extra gallons and we emptied 15 into the boat to free up some deck space and used the rest in my truck to tow back home.

I would have to agree with the above posts. For your application I would go with a gaser. Also, I tend to think the duo-prop is the best drive for this setup but that is only because it increases effeciency. From what I have heard Olympics are good boats. I looked at Orcas, Trophys, Ospreys and Seasports. They were wall nice boats as well. I just couldn't find a well cared for Olympic for a decent price. They just didn't seem to be out there.

As for the boats, I looked around for a long time. I was never able to find a decent olympic for a good price. I found Ospreys and Trophys for much better prices. While the Trophys may not be as much boat, they are pretty nice and can be had for great prices. There is one now that looks pretty good in Seattle for aroudn 18.5K (http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/boa/1451430491.html). I looked at one in Anchorage with a new motor and outdrive for 25K. Its as in pristine condition and some days I wish I picked that one up. I looked at a couple Ospreys, wow, what nice boats. There is one for sale now on the kenia for 39K (http://kenai.craigslist.org/boa/1418964732.html). Looks like a pretty nice boat but I think you could do a little better. I also looked at Seasports and Orcas but they tended to be just out of my price range.

Good luck in your search. I looked around for 2 years before buying a Hewes Ocean Pro. I don't regret it as its the pickup truck of boats and economical. Just wish I had a marine head and cuddy for long weekends. One thing I would say to think about. In my opinion its kind of a pain for day trips around here. The expenses of gas for towing, lauching, parking, boat gas adds up quick. It just makes multi-day trips much more logical. Just something to think about. Good luck and I'm more than happy to talk boats anytime.

Patrick,
    Thanks for the info, I would prefer a aluminum boat, for several reasons, unfortunately It seems they are generally out of my price range, as is the Osprey in Kenai, nice boat though.
    The Trophy in Seattle looks good in the photos and more in line with my budget, it may be a year before I can make it happen. I am trying to pin it down to a specific few boats/ brands, and then just wait & watch for the right one. Ctaigs is great, but can be overwhelming w/ all the choices and not in a posistion to run out a look at most of them. I figure I can learn a lot right here from the guys that use em........

I am a little confused about the bayliner/ trophy models? are the trophys just a particular model? Some of the bayliners appear to have a very small cockpit? The trophys look reasonable that way.
    I think a 24 would do the trick but am hoping to find a 26-27 at some point.
    TR

Default Clarification

Quote Originally Posted by johnscd View Post
    My Olympic is a 1993 w/ a self bailing deck. I am very happy with the Suzuki. I have owned the boat since August of 06. Previous motor was a 1993 225hp Evinrude Ocean Pro two stroke. But what a difference with the Suzuki. I was out in PWS last week me and one other person and enough hunting gear, food and water for seven days. Came back with three deer. Going off of info from the digital gauge on the boat we ran out to Montague- Port Chalmers (flat calm) 4800rpm's, 31mph at 12gph. The digital gauges seem to be pretty darn accurate when I've done comparisons at the gas pump with the gps and calculator. The whole trip to Montague and back with some minor beach cruising and bay exploring we burned roughly 75 gallons of fuel. I thought that was great especially since we came back in some pretty rough weather until we got past Knight Island. My Olympic has a 110 gallon aluminum fuel tank and I have been deer hunting in the Sound every year since I've owned it. This was the first year I was never concerned about running out of gas and in previous years with the Evinrude I packed an extra 50 gallons. We never came close to running out with the old motor but It was always on the back of my mind when hunting. This year I took 35 extra gallons and we emptied 15 into the boat to free up some deck space and used the rest in my truck to tow back home.
    I had to clarify this......The 31mph reading came from my GPS the RPM's and Fuel consumption was being read off the motors cpu.

What is your price range? There has been a 25x9.5 Grady White with twin outboards on CL for the past few weeks for 25K. The motors appear to be 2 strokes from the pictures. Here is a link: GRADY WHITE WIDE BODY
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I had an 83 24’ Olympic for about 5 years. Good solid boat and I would buy another if the price was right. Many folks love their Bayliners but having seen cross sections of Bayliner hull vs. Olympic hull I wouldn’t own one. YRMV.

Dave is right about the bayliner comparison. You definitely get what you pay for. I would say the Ospreys, Orcas, Olympics, etc are in a better class than the Trophys. That being said, if you on a tight budget they certainly get the job done and in some cases quite well.

We were originally in the price range you are looking but we just couldn't seem to find a boat that fit all our wants. So we ended up spending more to get something we were happy with. As for the Bayliner Trophy question, they are just a particular model I believe. I do know they come in different sizes and configurations but I can't seem to figure out what that entails. They come in both the larger and smaller cabins as you mentioned so you just have to look at them. When we were looking there was a 24ft with the small cabin. We wanted a larger cabin so we were looking for one exactly like the one in Seattle. When we were searching, only the trophys had what we wanted. The other models were either too big for us or to expensive.

I remember when we were looking that a half dozen nice boats in a good price range came along. Gook luck and keep the questions coming. If nothing else, I love talking boats.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    What is your price range? There has been a 25x9.5 Grady White with twin outboards on CL for the past few weeks for 25K. The motors appear to be 2 strokes from the pictures. Here is a link: GRADY WHITE WIDE BODY
    I have seen that boat as well, its a good looking rig, but have decided against that type of cabin/pilot station arrangement. There are a number of boats set up that way and if I lived in warmer climates I would be giving it some serious consideration.
    I would like to stay under 25K, that being said, I am not in a big hurry, I want to decide what I want and then look and save until the right one comes along, if I need to save longer to get the right boat, then so be it.
    Thats my plan at this point..............
    TR

Well good luck in your search. I would think you can find what your looking for in that range. There were 3 very nice trophys in that range in the last year that I was interested in. All had newer or new engines and outdrives, and all were in the 24-25ft range. Good luck and be sure to let us know what you get in to.

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    I have seen that boat as well, its a good looking rig, but have decided against that type of cabin/pilot station arrangement. There are a number of boats set up that way and if I lived in warmer climates I would be giving it some serious consideration.
    Having a closed in cabin sure is nice when the weather gets snotty. Sounds like you are doing your research. That is half the fun, anyways. Good luck with the search.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Having a closed in cabin sure is nice when the weather gets snotty. Sounds like you are doing your research. That is half the fun, anyways. Good luck with the search.
    "Research" is very affordable............... and fun......LOL
    TR