Thread: Best Kenai Powerboat with a windshield

Default Best Kenai Powerboat with a windshield

Currently I have a 20' Alumaweld open skiff with a center console. Ideally I would like to change it out for a boat with a windshield, but it has marginal performance when loaded. Any suggestions on what would be a good boat for this? The use would be strictly for the Kenai, and I want good speed and performance to carry 6 people. I talked to Willy about their boats, and it sounds like they have only done one or two for the Kenai with a windshield, and were recommending their open model with a removable windshield, which does't really sound like what I am looking for. What about Woolridge? Other brands? I looked at Hewes, and although this is along the lines of what I am looking for this, line of boats is not really what I want.

Jim
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Default I think the first issue.....

Is that you want speed and performance from a boat that will haul 6 people and is limited to a 50 hp motor. That's a pretty tough bill to fill. A 20' Hewescraft Sportsman is going to be hard to beat for what you are looking for. 50 horsepower can only do so much, but I have seen one on the river with a number of passengers and it seemed to do okay.

When I say that I want speed and performance, I understand this is relative to the requirement that there is a 50hp limit. I don't want to be one of those guys running up stream at 15mph generating a huge wake, so I want to make sure get a hull designed to run on this amount of power. I am interested in your comment about the Hewes being a good choice. Could you expand on this and why this is a good boat for the Kenai? It seems to me that a 20' with a windshield is getting a bit big for a 50Hp motor, but this may be a function of the hill design. It seems like the Alumaweld Stryker is another option, and is possibly a better build boat. Any comments on these?

Jim
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Earlier in the year, Boating Sportsman magazine did a review on the Motion Marine Kenai Killer that looked pretty awesome. But I live in Juneau and only read the article. Motion Marine is a custom builder as well so they could make something with a removable windshield to acommodate your needs. But any decent boat builder will do a custom job on their boats.

Sobie2

The Stryker is pretty comparable to the Sportsman, but it's a little heavier and the bottom is a little wider which is going to slow it down, especially when limited in Hp. The 20' Stryker is only 100 lbs. more than the 18' Stryker and the person capacity goes from 5 to 7 with the increase in length. My personal opinion is that Hewescraft makes a decent boat, but there are a lot of other higher quality boats out there. Unfortunately, that build quality is usually at the expense of additional weight. I don't have any personal experience with the Hewes other than seeing one on the river several times and being rather impressed. You might look at Harbercraft like this one http://www.harbercraft.com/our_boats...dventurer.html as well. That's the only other windshield type boat I can remember seeing on the river that made me take pause. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

What about Wooldridge? Aren't the Alaskans a flat bottom hull with windshield? Think it'd do well for what you want. We fish the Kenai every year for reds and after seeing hundreds of boats go by every year this is my conclusion: Any "v" hulled boat generates substantially more wake than a flat bottom boat (heavy boat/heavy load/50 hp). Being that your use is strictly for the Kenai, I'd go with a true flat bottom. I've talked to a few guys who own Hewes on the ramp @ Bing's for feedback and each one has said the same thing: too much boat and too little horsepower. I'd like a 18' or bigger Hewes for light ocean use but definitely not for the Kenai.
    Jim

Default Error on my part...

Previous post I mentioned that a true flat bottom boat would be best for the Kenai (IMO) and lumped the Wooldridge Alaskan in that category. That's not the case as the Alaskan has a 9 degree deadrise and the Hewes Sportsman's go with a 10 degree deadrise; not much difference.
    How about what the other guy alluded to and get someone to make a custom boat?
    Jim

Default Koffler

I own a 20' Willie, old style, (tiller, no windshield) with a pretty flat bottom. The only other boat that tracks as well and has room for that many people is the tried and true 20' Koffler sled. I almost wish I still owned one. I do know they have the Kofflers with a windshield, but I have not seen many of them. On a cold September morning, I get a little jealous when they go by all warm and cozy. There are a few guys around that work magic with aluminum and could build anything you want. Sounds like a great winter research project.

Default 1925 harbercraft

I have a 19foot harbercraft adventurer with a 50 honda it works great. I dipped in it this year and with 4 guys and a big dog and over 400 pounds of fish it got right on step. I had it in 7ft seas, also great. it has a 35 gal fuel tank so you have a huge range with a gas sipper. It is rated for 6 people also where as the 18.5 hewes is only 5 (the reason I got the harbercraft) I have not been in a like hewes or willie but I love mine.

7' seas????what is your full name I want to make sure I get life insurance out on you!!

Quote Originally Posted by rrjfish8 View Post
    I have a 19foot harbercraft adventurer with a 50 honda it works great. I dipped in it this year and with 4 guys and a big dog and over 400 pounds of fish it got right on step. I had it in 7ft seas, also great. it has a 35 gal fuel tank so you have a huge range with a gas sipper. It is rated for 6 people also where as the 18.5 hewes is only 5 (the reason I got the harbercraft) I have not been in a like hewes or willie but I love mine.