Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knik Glacier in a full size vehicle ?

Default Knik Glacier in a full size vehicle ?

Can it be done ?

We made it to the woods where the trail heads east into the woods towards Wolf Point after running about 1 mile north up the Friday Creek outwash inland from the Knik. Photo is where we turned around for fear of hitting a tree with the vehicles ...........

Anybody ever make it in a full size vehicle all the way to the glacier ??
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by titobandito View Post
    Can it be done ?

We made it to the woods where the trail heads east into the woods towards Wolf Point after running about 1 mile north up the Friday Creek outwash inland from the Knik. Photo is where we turned around for fear of hitting a tree with the vehicles ...........

Anybody ever make it in a full size vehicle all the way to the glacier ??

oh that has been done over the years.... but your aware that anything over 1500 lbs requires a DNR permit, and that the, perception of your actions may speed the closure or add to the restrictions of public access in more places?

just because we can. does not mean we should....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

is there a 1500lb restriction out in that area?...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Default There is a 10,000 lb

restriction in Knik River PUA.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

ya 10000 lbs not 1500..
    Semper Fi!

Default So many did not make it

to the glacier, I dont know how many times I have drove my atv up to some poor guy sitting in his $40,000 fancy tricked out pickup as he was trying to cope with the fact that he was royally screwed. Stuck out there and no where to go! By the time he gets back to it, it is stripped. The funniest was a young military couple with their kid in the back seat, looking very scared, stuck way downstream Jim Creek. We tried walking to them and it was impossible to get closer than 50 feet. That truck was buried up to midway of the doors. All we could do was offer to call an offroad service for him, ask him if he had the ability to pay, and last but not least, the best part that I have had the pleasure to ask for many years now, " You dont have to be to work on Monday, do you"?

Do not take anything out there that you can not live without. The last thing I would take out there, including the trailhead, is my work rig. If you do break down, hide it fast before anybody knows there is a broke down rig. Repair it quickly and get it out of there!

I have seen quite a few big rigs out at the glacial moraines in the winter and have not heard of any restrictions upon them. Perhaps they all fall within the 10,000 pound allowable range.

The most common is to find a weekender who does not know better that takes the most obvious path and does not know that it is not the "best path". Ah well, better to get the lay of the land before you take something expensive out there.

Default atleast

it was a ford van

hehehehehe

Default You can get there

We used to attempt it every year around March or April. Most years we would make it, some years not. Mostly stock trucks. Never left one behind. Below is my 79 Bronco with the Knik Glacier in the background.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by NRick View Post
    We used to attempt it every year around March or April. Most years we would make it, some years not. Mostly stock trucks. Never left one behind. Below is my 79 Bronco with the Knik Glacier in the background.

Ive wheeled with you before.. this is ray

heres what a was wheeling, now im building my 78 bronco

and i would never leave anyone behind either, be it ATV or full size vehicle.,, u should bend over backwards to help anyone stuck espically a military member that is willing to give his / her life for your freedom... not wisecrack them like a punk.

Ray

mines the one on the left.

Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by RockHound View Post
    The funniest was a young military couple with their kid in the back seat, looking very scared, stuck way downstream Jim Creek. We tried walking to them and it was impossible to get closer than 50 feet. That truck was buried up to midway of the doors. All we could do was offer to call an offroad service for him, ask him if he had the ability to pay, and last but not least, the best part that I have had the pleasure to ask for many years now, " You dont have to be to work on Monday, do you"?
    Glad you really got a good laugh at that military family stuck with their kid out there. I never get the opportunity to really stick it to a soldier when he or she is in need. I bet that did feel good... hahaha work on Monday...

Typical ODD responses I'd expect and see all to often! You must figure there's a reson why so many members do not post hunting, riding, or outdoors adventures due to this type of mentalitly. Rip apart someone's post, maybe raise the ethical flag, criticize character, and throw in name calling for good measure. Typical, FREAKING TYPICAL.

Take out the word "Military" from Rockhounds post and I'm sure you guys would post a smartazz remark how he should have known better, W.T.F was he thinking, how stupid could someone be.... etc etc etc You guys are reacting as if some kind of racial slur was dropped. Again, typical.

I can't speak for Rockhound but I'm sure he values and respects our Military like any other red blooded american that holds their freedom in high regard. Again, read his post! He put forth a respectable effort to assist a service member. He didn't just stroll by pointing his finger, laughing, and cracking smartazz comments like you guys like to paint. On an atv there's only so much one can do! Did you expect him to winch out a 5000-10000lbs truck out of Jim Creek with his ATV?

You guys never cease to amaze me.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Glad you really got a good laugh at that military family stuck with their kid out there. I never get the opportunity to really stick it to a soldier when he or she is in need. I bet that did feel good... hahaha work on Monday...

and i would never leave anyone behind either, be it ATV or full size vehicle.,, u should bend over backwards to help anyone stuck espically a military member that is willing to give his / her life for your freedom... not wisecrack them like a punk.

Quote Originally Posted by RockHound View Post
    The funniest was a young military couple with their kid in the back seat, looking very scared, stuck way downstream Jim Creek. We tried walking to them and it was impossible to get closer than 50 feet. That truck was buried up to midway of the doors. All we could do was offer to call an offroad service for him, ask him if he had the ability to pay, and last but not least, the best part that I have had the pleasure to ask for many years now, " You dont have to be to work on Monday, do you"?
    maybe it was this?
    Semper Fi!

so is there a weight restriction out there or not?....really, I can't be the only guy that doesn't know and would like to find out.......
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    so is there a weight restriction out there or not?....really, I can't be the only guy that doesn't know and would like to find out.......

10000 lbs restriction
    Semper Fi!

I read that already.. Did you believe I missed it or something?

This is where you insert a
    wisecrack like a punk

"If you're not stuck, you're not trying" <--- An age-old off-roader's saying. Seriously, venturing out in places like the KRPUA carries a certain amount of risk. If it didn't, we wouldn't be there. Just because someone doesn't have what you believe to be the "right" fourwheeler, or rig for the trip, doesn't mean they should stay out. And for those inexperienced folks who pick the wrong line and get stuck.... How else are they going to become experienced?

Sure, there will be those who will laugh at the poor fellow who buries his rig, but they only laugh to make themselves feel better, because they have been there before. Just do what you can to help them, and hope the next time you get stuck, someone will be there to help you.

This is not directed at anyone in particular, I just think it helps to see both sides. I've been on both myself and I'm sure it won't be the last time...

As to the original question... I've had my 99 Silverado out as far as where the trail goes into the woods, but I personally wouldn't attempt to go out to the glacier with it. Too risky if you as me. I've seen too many full-size rigs and even mini-trucks out there hopelessly stuck. During winter when everything is frozen, maybe. But that's what my Grizzly is for.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Default yet again...

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post

...No, that's not negative... or personal. No.

Default I was military myself..

And out there doing all of the silly things and getting myself in trouble everytime I turned around. I apoligize if I offended anyone. As to the family stuck out there, there were a group of us, two of which were young airmen from EAFB. There really wasn't anything we could do to help them. We have tried to help out everybody we ever came upon that needed help, sometimes there's just nothing you can do. Well, once again, sorry to offend.

Last year in December I took my stock Jeep TJ, on 31" all-terrain tires, all the way to the glacier and back. Almost got stuck a few times but made it without assistance. It can be done but I wouldn't do it without a few other rigs there in case something happens. Got some pics of the trip if anyone wants to see them. For the sake of keeping any tree huggers from getting their panties in a bunch I won't post them in the thread.
    Former A.F Staff Sergeant

Default It's legal though, right?

I thought I'd read here (and that makes it always true, right? ) that it was legal to do that. Isn't it? I'm not understanding...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast