Thread: Haul Road Hunt

Default Haul Road Hunt

I am hunting the haul road next year for the first time and would like some advice. I would like to know when is the best time to go and what area I should concentrate my efforts in along with any paticular tactics that might improve my success. I am going with someone who has hunted it before but he is still not that familar with it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Lance

Quote Originally Posted by Lance View Post
    I am hunting the haul road next year for the first time and would like some advice. I would like to know when is the best time to go and what area I should concentrate my efforts in along with any paticular tactics that might improve my success. I am going with someone who has hunted it before but he is still not that familar with it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Lance
    When: It depend when you wnat to go. allot of people go Aug-Sept.
    Aug can be good but bugs tend to be bad. If I remember right Aug 10 Wolf and stupid chickens open up.
    Sept bugs are not as bad. Weather can vary from warm to snow. These two months tend to have allot of people up there.
    OCt 1. You can take 2 caribou including cow.

Where: The caribou can be anywhere from franklin bluffs all the way down to Galbreth lake. Usally drive until you find them.

How long to go: anywhere from 3 days to a week.

Advice. Most hunters up there will stay by the road. So it you can walk out and meet the caribou you won't have to compete with other hunters.
    If you do stay by the road. The caribou are not scared of cars that are moving and tend to continue on course but as soon a that car stops they will head in a diffenent direction. What we do is the driver will slow down but the car is still moving the hunter will get out and hide on the other side of the vehicle then we he finds a spot to hide off the road he slips into the spot meanwhile tha caribou has no clue that some one got out and the vehicle never stoped. This method has worked to a tee. After the person is in place the vehicle drives away. I usally go about 1/2 to mile away.

Practice long shots IE 40 yards. practice in the wind, snow, rain.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Lance - The best advice I can give you is to spend many, many hours going through the archives here, including the old archives. There have been volumes written on this hunt over the past number of years by various members. No single thread could cover all that has been written. Spend a lot of time reading, and then come back with more specific questions.

Good luck!

-Brian