Thread: Coyotes near Sutton?

Default Coyotes near Sutton?

Has anyone ever had luck getting coyotes around sutton? I've seen lots of rabbit tracks and coyote tracks around the old abandoned campground, and I'm thinkng of going out there. I have a hand call. Anyone have any luck out that way for coyote? Time of day, method of hunt? Anything that could help a predator newbie without a snowmachine? I'm willing to hike

I think they get hunted pretty frequently. The challenge up there is finding any open country and getting a good setup. I have tried a couple times but so far have not had any luck.

Default Coyotes

There's a pretty good size pack up in the mountains in the winter.
    I've been up there after dark and you can listen to them most knights.
    They move a lot and I havn't had any luck calling them in.
    They are there, but gettint to them is tough.

Default Sounds?

Not sure where Sutton is, but I'm interested in what sounds you guys are using to try and get these Coyotes? Just distress sounds, or some Coyote Vocals? The Coyotes in Delta area seem to be well educated too and have yipped and barked at distress sounds, but have never shown themselves to me. I'm thinking of trying quieter, non-aggressive type Yote vocals on some of my stands and hopefully they'll come in to check out the intruder. I might mix it up with Rabbit distress, but I'm going to give the Vocals a try first to see if it changes things. Let me know how you do on those well educated one's down there. It might be a good night time spot to sit on a full moon if there's a good clear area with a smooth coat of snow. The only downside to going with Yote vocals is that I'll probably ruin it for any Fox coming in, but oh well.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

well for starters...

Sutton is a lot closer to town then it used to be...

the lands have sold out and more folks are out there...

there will always be yotes there, and along the entire bald mt area.. across through hatcher's.. they were there when i was a kid and are still there..

getting out and finding your area to work is what you have to do first.

but keep in mind that since i was a kid the valley had nearly tripled in population. ( so has Colorado that has yote stealing kids and cats) and they are hard hunted, educated by novice hunter and regularly pushed.

your gonna work for them .. i did 20 years ago... i worked hard.. and we called em dumb then....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by snowcamoman View Post
    Not sure where Sutton is, but I'm interested in what sounds you guys are using to try and get these Coyotes? Just distress sounds, or some Coyote Vocals? The Coyotes in Delta area seem to be well educated too and have yipped and barked at distress sounds, but have never shown themselves to me. I'm thinking of trying quieter, non-aggressive type Yote vocals on some of my stands and hopefully they'll come in to check out the intruder. I might mix it up with Rabbit distress, but I'm going to give the Vocals a try first to see if it changes things. Let me know how you do on those well educated one's down there. It might be a good night time spot to sit on a full moon if there's a good clear area with a smooth coat of snow. The only downside to going with Yote vocals is that I'll probably ruin it for any Fox coming in, but oh well.
    If the yotes are yipping and barking at your distress sounds you have been busted. It would be difficult to get them in after that. If they respond to your coyotes calls it doesn't mean you have been busted but it may. Either way it is difficult to get them to come in after that.

Yes, on the luck part. But for the most part the only real tip I can give ya for the area.......Don't over call, and stay on stand for 30-45 minutes.

Except for a few, they mostly came in at the tail end of that time frame.

Good Calling to ya.

Default 2 less

Their are now 2 less in the group. went out friday eve, Made 3 sets of about 30-40 minutes each.. Nothin g on the first 2 and a double on the third one.. I used a howl, then followed by a invitation. saw them at 300 yards and used a Mole squeak to close em to 75 yards.. Bang, Bang..

No pics, I took em with a .223 Varmit grenade round in the face..

Went up Sat way north.. Made 10-12 sets and didnt see a one..Very few tracks.. Corssed 1 wolf, a few coyotes and maybe 10 sets of fox tracks.. Took a bunch of bunnies though so all the shooting probably scared em away..

Hoytguy - You say that you made 10-12 sets in one day. I'm assuming that you were hunting all day, then? My understanding is that calling is far more effective at first and last light, but maybe I'm backwards in this. Have you found decent success throughout the day? I'm going to have some time to play around with predators over the Thanksgiving 4-day weekend, so I need to figure out my plan. I was going to call at first and last light and by moonlight if the skies are clear, then spend the day working some snares. Should I be calling during midday hours as well?

Default depends

Brian,

Friday near sutton I called in the eve.. Sat I drove way up north and started about 30 minutes before light.. Their was snow up their.. Called, on and off for 30 minutes.. Waited about 10 more or so and moved on.. Made about a 12 mile loop on a dog sled trail and called in semi open areas that had high ground for me to see em comming..I started at 730am and got back to the truck at 630pm. so about 11 hours.. Nothing..

I have had sucess in MN where I grew up calling all hours of the day.. If their their.. and they are hungry.. they will come.. Unless their call shy and been over hunted.. Where I was Sat I dont think that they have encounterd many people.. But one never knows.. I am off wed and am going back up.. I am hoping to get a wolf this winter.. Fox and Yotes mate in Jan and Feb.. I preferr to call those months, but then again their is only a few hours of light so its difficult..

Thanks for the help. I'm still fairly new to the calling gig and haven't done well yet. I appreciate the tips.

Default Anytime

HoytGuy,
    Thanks for the post and congratulations on a double. I could've had a double last year had I been toting the shotgun, but alas, I only had the 22mag bolt action and couldn't shift quick enough. How long into your stand did those 2 come in? I've had the majority of Fox and Coyotes come in at around the 12 minute mark for some reason. I make longer stands sometimes, but find that after 15-17 minutes, I'm up and onto the next stand hoping to get more stands in. Were you using an e-caller or just mouthcalls?

Default 5-10 min

I made a 1 set.. Notta, then went a ways with the ATV and used a howl.. after a few yips and howls the pack opened up.. maybe 3-4 miles away,So I knew where they were.. I drove my atv in the direction and got as close as I could to where I thought they may be.. maybe 6-700 yards or so.. and called.. 5 minutes went by and one popped out.. he was commin in closer then another appeared at the 10' about 150 yards.. I let the first one get close then hammered it.. ther seocnd one stopped, and as I was about to fire he took off. I missed the first time, Clipped his back right leg the second shot.. rolled him.. he got up with out missing a stride and I chambered another round in my .223 bolt action savage.. Put it on his nose quartering away and fired.. Hit him at the base of the neck and exited out his face too.. So I had to messed up coyotes, but their will be more hares, grouse and whatever else they eat..

Here it is tought.. For every 50 sets I get maybe a critter.. In MN.. I shot 26 yotes in one day.. and I think their are more here.. just harder to see and more educated I guess.. A good place I want to try this winter is off ressurection creek trail.. snowshoe in 5-6 miles and try it their.. We'l lsee though

Default Sorry

I was using a Fox Pro electronic caller..

Default Thanks

Great, thanks for the details HoytGuy, sounded like a very productive Alaskan predator hunt. I learned years ago that Alaska is nothing like the lower 48 for calling. Guys get in a good weekend what a good caller up here might get in an entire season. It's still a blast and we always have the Wolf factor, which a lot of the lower 48 doesn't contend with.

Default Missed Another

I got out Monday eve.. Was minus 19 below. Set up right after dark.. Used some Vole squeaks to stir up any close ones.. and before I even was ready.. I had one come running in full blast to about 20 yards.. Being dark, using a scope and a bolt action rifle.. I bet I hit 50 yards behind him.. Swing and a miss--Hopefully he's not to educated

Anyone ever see any Lynx or marten out their.. Was thinking of setting a couple dozen 110's on some spruce for martens..

Sounds like you need a shotgunner, but not me at -19.

Seen lynx, but can't say I have seen any martin.

Default dress warm

I am going out tomorrow night.. The temps ar eof no concern.. Take a blanket, some good mitts, dress in about 9 layers and go.. I never seen any lynx tracks.. but now I am all excited. . Would be awsome to call one of them in..

Good luck, I hope it works out for you.

I have hopes of doing some calling tonight. If I can leave by 4pm I'll be out at the ol calling grounds.