Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rabbit Fleas

Default Rabbit Fleas

Got 22 rabbits this weekend near Glennallen. When cleaning them we noticed the last couple we skinned were covered in fleas. I don"t know if only these two had them, or if the rabbits had just warmed up enough by the end and they all had them (we were cleaning in a heated shop).

Has anyone seen fleas in Alaska rabbits? I have been told there are no fleas here, but I don't know what else they could be. They were black, small, came up from the skin, and were jumping everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by John N View Post
    Got 22 rabbits this weekend near Glennallen. When cleaning them we noticed the last couple we skinned were covered in fleas. I don"t know if only these two had them, or if the rabbits had just warmed up enough by the end and they all had them (we were cleaning in a heated shop).

Has anyone seen fleas in Alaska rabbits? I have been told there are no fleas here, but I don't know what else they could be. They were black, small, came up from the skin, and were jumping everywhere.
    You aren't perchance the same John N that hunts with a Squirrel?

Yeah, I've seen fleas on bunnies, rare to be sure, but not unheard of.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

A good reason to clean them right after shooting. Some lynx are covered with fleas and I suspect they get them from hares.
    pete

Hare fleas must be regional to certain areas. I've never seen any external parasites on a hare.

Default fleas

We were just up that way hunting 2 weekends ago, and we saw a few fleas as well.
    Ryan from Wasilla

Default That's right

Quote Originally Posted by pak View Post
    A good reason to clean them right after shooting. Some lynx are covered with fleas and I suspect they get them from hares.
    pete
    When you transport a pile of bunnies to your home, you are increasing the potential of introducing a flea outbreak to your home or neighborhood. Pet owners beware!

Still another reason to clean them in the field is that you are leaving the remains for birds and other animals, whereas if you carry them home, the remains end up covered in the land fill.

If you must transport bunny trophies home, do as the old time trappers did, and sprinkle them with Buhach to kill the fleas.

Default Nope

I've never seen fleas on bunnies; they are, however, pretty cold by the time I get home, leaving the possibility that the fleas left, or are dead.

Still, never seen fleas on hares. I'm just sayin' 'cause you're askin'. Congrats on the bounty of bunnies!

Hmm,Ill ask my Vet girlfriend,she would know or atleast know who to ask,i remember her saying something about Moose ticks before.Also some pests dont cross species(I have a hard time swallowing that one,if you were a starving flea,would you be picky?).

ak4195

Default Dog got fleas from ground squirrels

When I was a young man living in the village my mother-in-law commissioned me to go hunt ground squirrels so she could make me a parki. I did, and had fun doing it. However, the little beasts were covered in fleas! I brought them home and laid them in the storm porch to await skinning. The family dog rolled in them and voila, the dog got fleas... then the cat.

I got scolded for not sprinkling them with the all-around, all-purpose magical powder called Buhach which would have preempted the infestation.

During the winter it is OK if you leave small mammals outside to freeze. But in moderate weather, if it appears they have fleas (by rubbing against the grain of the fur), clean them in the field and leave the problem behind.

Sayak,a simple can of buhach garners as many memories as furniture made out of blazo boxes and roofs covered on old blazo cans.
    pete

Default Here's to...

... the Alaska that was, the real Alaska bro.

I learned how to snare rabbits from a guy who was born at Susitna station and lived in Anchorage(ship creek) in 1915. I'm off to my wood fired sauna/banya.
    Pete

My girlfriends reply was,while its possible that they were fleas,more likely they were lice.As fleas spend time in egg casings which drop off the animal(host)and wouldnt make it through the cold.
    ON the other hand lice egg casings glom onto the ends of the hairs and ride it out.
    Bottom line is fleas cant survive in alaska(once you get past summer),but are equal opportunity pest as are Moose Ticks.People lice stick to people,critter lice stick to critters.
    A few decades ago I remember renting an apartment in Douglas which had fleas from the previous owners cats,controlled environment with a steady diet of humans n cats to choose from.If the cats were outside the fleas never would have made it.

ak4195

Unlike rabbits, nearly every squirrel we harvest has lice and what look like ticks. I see them on the freshly killed animal and then later inside the ziplock in the freezer. None of these has ever transferred to myself of the dogs.

Default Fleas don't like people...

Quote Originally Posted by OATS View Post
    Unlike rabbits, nearly every squirrel we harvest has lice and what look like ticks. I see them on the freshly killed animal and then later inside the ziplock in the freezer. None of these has ever transferred to myself of the dogs.
    ... and the chances of your pets getting them are slim. But the chance does exist... even if you clean them out in your yard where your pets may frequent.

And as far as fleas v lice.... um... big difference!

Quote Originally Posted by OATS View Post
    I think there a species of tick that mainly stick to squirrels up here.

Quote Originally Posted by ak4195 View Post
    My girlfriends reply was,while its possible that they were fleas,more likely they were lice.As fleas spend time in egg casings which drop off the animal(host)and wouldnt make it through the cold.
    ON the other hand lice egg casings glom onto the ends of the hairs and ride it out.
    Bottom line is fleas cant survive in alaska(once you get past summer),but are equal opportunity pest as are Moose Ticks.People lice stick to people,critter lice stick to critters.
    A few decades ago I remember renting an apartment in Douglas which had fleas from the previous owners cats,controlled environment with a steady diet of humans n cats to choose from.If the cats were outside the fleas never would have made it.

ak4195
    JMHO, but I have to respectfully disagree with you and your gf....little black bugs that jump ARE fleas. Why wouldnt the fleas make it through the winter? There are places that are much colder than south-central AK that have fleas, lice and ticks. You may not see them as much during the cold months but they (or their larvae) are there and will be back when it warms.

Quote Originally Posted by ripnlip View Post
    I think there a species of tick that mainly stick to squirrels up here.
    Agreed. I know the difference between lice and ticks and our squirrels here in Alaska seem to have both. Between the dogs and the hawks I hunt with, I regularly get up close and personal with lots of squirrels and hares. I only see parasites on the tree rats. There are fast moving small bugs (lice) that crawl around or jump off and ticks that have dug in and filled up with blood like water balloons. They are difficult to remove.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by ripnlip View Post
    JMHO, but I have to respectfully disagree with you and your gf....little black bugs that jump ARE fleas. Why wouldnt the fleas make it through the winter? There are places that are much colder than south-central AK that have fleas, lice and ticks. You may not see them as much during the cold months but they (or their larvae) are there and will be back when it warms.

Feel free to disagree,but Ill go with the 20 yr veteren veterenarian.While anything is possible,they (fleas) dont/wont make it.Now if you want to do your homework and break out the microscope and glass slides to disprove feel free,maybe I can help.
    Just because she is georgeous and a brilliant Doc and my sweety doesnt make me completely biased.She's tied in by way of her boss to the dog mushing community both short distance and long.
    Granted dogs arent bunnies,but if they aint livin on the dawgs why would the bunnies be any different.Ask your doc how much flea juice the local vets or pet stores sell

ak4195

Gorgeous, brilliant, and a animal doc? Still just your GF? Whoa, what's her full name? J/K =)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast