Thread: Planning Yakutat trip - B&B where to stay?

Default Planning Yakutat trip - B&B where to stay?

Hi all,

Planning my first fishing trip to Yakutat for the end of June 2010. Googled a few Bed & Breakfast's where we'd have full kitchen privileges.

Anyone have recommendations for Shirley's B&B, Blue Heron B&B or Yakutat B&B?

Any other recommendations for charters or car rentals would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Gary

Dont stay at the Yakutat Lodge.....that is all..

Check out the link below. I am looking at going in March or April myself. Got some great email correspondence from Erik, the charter boat captain for this lodge. Happy to forward you some of the emails if you want to PM me your email address. Lots of great info from Erik and this is where I will be staying when I go.

http://www.glacierbearlodge.com/

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

over the years i have stayed at several places in Yakutat here is my 2cents worth:
    yakutat lodge - on the airport, most convenient, rooms are dumpy, food OK, staff very accomodating, senior guides very good
    leonards landing - at the small boat harbor, very scenic, can rent cabins with a kitchen on the water, restaurant used to be great but burned down. guides turnover quickly
    glacier bear - off the main highway, not close to any services, currently best restaurant, much cleaner since taken over by female owners, senior guides very good
    blue heron b&b - right in town, right on the water, beautiful views, nicest accomodations of any i have stayed at, great people, limited services
    as far as car rental be ready to be amazed at the vehicles they rent, its not unusual to go through several cars on one trip, as one breaks down they give you another.
    one last plug, stop by the flyshop at the airport in the old WWII hangar and buy something to support them, great guy, only real fly shop in town

My wife and I stayed at the Yakutat Lodge this summer and had an awsome time the staff and guides we're awsome!!! The rooms tho were not so great tho but it's a fishing lodge not a 5 star hotel. They are building new accomidations that will be completed in 2012. We thought the price for the whole deal was great compared to others. The food in the diner was awsome too. between my wife and I we took home 224lbs of fish. Give Hope and Dan a call there and try to perhaps book a stay in one of the new cabins they have.

It's my understanding Hope and Dan moved on to manage a pizzaria somewhere in the north-west lesser 48. It doesn't change a thing at the lodge though. Ken will have somebody else to manage operations. Sure wish Rob would come back!

Default The Mooring

This is where I stay when I work in Yakutat. It right down town, they are great people, they rent cars and the apparments are clean and reasobable with wireless internet. Grocery store is right next door so cooking is easy as pie. Ive never fished with them as Im usually working but all the guys and gals I see coming through have fish.

http://www.mooringlodge.com/

Leo is a great guy.

I'm partial to the Glacier Bear, but then again I'm the charter boat captain here/ there... what ever. We try to keep updating and improving the place. feel free to PM me w/ questions.