Thread: Permit question

Default Permit question

Why are only some GMU's permit areas? I am looking at the regs and see sheep permits are mainly numbers 7,12,13,14,15,20,23,26 with some GMU's having many sub units, especially #14. Is this because they are near more populated areas and they have to be restricted? Or are these the most sought after areas?

I am wanting to go sheep hunting sooner or later and just poking around trying to find info. I have been looking at outfitters/guides and value your input. Thanks, Mark

A few of the areas are managed as "trophy" units but for the most part the drawings are because they are near the road system and more accessible. 14 and 13 are near Anchorage. 20 is near Fairbanks. Then you get into areas on the Kenai and others along the road system.

Default it depends

There are a variety of reasons - trophy management, easy access, high hunter pressure, low sheep numbers, etc., all of the above. Don't assume that just because an area is draw permit that it will be good hunting, easy access or that you won't have company. You need to research each area individually.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    A few of the areas are managed as "trophy" units but for the most part the drawings are because they are near the road system and more accessible. 14 and 13 are near Anchorage. 20 is near Fairbanks. Then you get into areas on the Kenai and others along the road system.
    well the sheep structure is so much different from 13-20 also Jon..

20 actually has few miles of accessibility then the road throughout makes it look..

i think a lot has to do with land ability of cubs in some areas as well over harvest of the 70's and Early 80's in the chugiak areas..

you know those Helicopter regs we were yelling about last spring?

that is all from sheep hunting 20 years ago... many of the same day airborne are from sheep hunting as well..

though 20A was considerably less this year then average for full curl harvest also.. 55 of the 89 typically. ... but i am betting the high standard of red tagging has added to few reports as well.. i am guessing guys are doing home made euro mounts rather then pay 1000-1500 for a short horn.

in all popularty plays a huge role in harvest ...

20 will go draw soon enough.

20c is one of the few any antler moose areas and they are already making brow tine for it.. so not long... not long at all

pays to sit in AC meetings and hang out at the smoke breaks
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here