Thread: Picking a fishing buddy...

Default Picking a fishing buddy...

I'll be able to spend a whole month in Alaska this comming summer. My son and three of my grandsons will be joining me for the first ten days and after thier depature I'll be left alone as my bride of nearly 40 years has decided she would rather go to Rome. Now I have absolutely no problem with the concept of fishing alone. Most of my life I have actually prefered fishing alone. There is a lot to be said about the advantages of fishing alone but that isn't why I started this thread. I have decided to invite someone to share at least part of my trip with. I need some help in creating a list of qualifying characteristics to eliminate any mismatches. So far i have the following: 1. Must be easily outfished ...bad for my ego to be outdone. 2. Doesn't snore...I need my sleep (I snore but don't like others to do so) 3.Finacially irresponsible ...first to reach for wallet when the check comes at the restraunt. 4.Tacklehead...it's a good thing to have at least three of everything, one for me, one for you, and one for a spare. 5. Fly tying addict....should come to Alaska with at least 1500 flies, I'll have only a thousand and might want to borrow some. 6. Tech head...very proficient with knot tying, rigging, reel repair, it is good to have a Macguyver along for the inivietable "breakdowns". 7. Willingness to participate.... be able to fish at least 20 hours each and everyday in all kinds of weather. 8. Politcaly neutral... this is a fishing trip and that is all I want to talk about. 9. Good humored...laughter is way better to listen to than whinning. 10. Slightly overwieght..skinny guys have to eat more often wasting valuable fishing time. ........that's my "top ten"....can you add to it?

Default Humor is good!

Yeah, I'll add a few.
    All my perfect fishing companions are those that say,

"Can I clean your catch?"
    "This one's on me!"
    You look younger today than you did yesterday."

http://www.alaskanauthor.com

Default Mine too

Well, I am going in May because my wife is going to Rome also. I already had a trip booked for Aug/Sept but an extra trip to Alaska is never a bad thing. Let's see, fishing? hunting? or Rome? No contest. I only get 10 days! How did you get a month!?!?!?!?! I think I got ripped off now.

How did I get ten days? Easy! A new kitchen....$30,000 remodel job. Come on Rosenburg, I didn't see any hints on saving money on remodel jobs in your book! This is an area that needs to be addressed. Last years trip cost me a new car, the year before that it was a new dinng room set/living room furniture. The trip is the cheap part!

Talking

Sorry floridafisherman but I don't fit most of your list already.

Default The butter knife...

In order to get my wife's support for my AK endeavors I asker her to be the editor of my second book. She loved it. I wound up dedicating it to her.

To get her to join me in Kodiak this summer I sprang for first class air tickets and rented a private in-town condo.

And as far as the holiday season goes, I'm still shopping...

http://www.alaskanauthor.com

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by floridafisherman View Post
    I'll be able to spend a whole month in Alaska this comming summer. My son and three of my grandsons will be joining me for the first ten days and after thier depature I'll be left alone as my bride of nearly 40 years has decided she would rather go to Rome. Now I have absolutely no problem with the concept of fishing alone. Most of my life I have actually prefered fishing alone. There is a lot to be said about the advantages of fishing alone but that isn't why I started this thread. I have decided to invite someone to share at least part of my trip with. I need some help in creating a list of qualifying characteristics to eliminate any mismatches. So far i have the following: 1. Must be easily outfished ...bad for my ego to be outdone. 2. Doesn't snore...I need my sleep (I snore but don't like others to do so) 3.Finacially irresponsible ...first to reach for wallet when the check comes at the restraunt. 4.Tacklehead...it's a good thing to have at least three of everything, one for me, one for you, and one for a spare. 5. Fly tying addict....should come to Alaska with at least 1500 flies, I'll have only a thousand and might want to borrow some. 6. Tech head...very proficient with knot tying, rigging, reel repair, it is good to have a Macguyver along for the inivietable "breakdowns". 7. Willingness to participate.... be able to fish at least 20 hours each and everyday in all kinds of weather. 8. Politcaly neutral... this is a fishing trip and that is all I want to talk about. 9. Good humored...laughter is way better to listen to than whinning. 10. Slightly overwieght..skinny guys have to eat more often wasting valuable fishing time. ........that's my "top ten"....can you add to it?
    #8 seems it would shorten your list alot; I'd make that one altho I would be disqualified by #'s 1, 2, and 10. Maybe #5 too (I'm guessing around 1,000 is all I take, sorry).

Seriously - the triplicate idea is really not that far off for some essentials (rod, reel, line, nipper, flashlite, lighter etc), especially for a months time and if in the bush.

Wink

#1 makes it hard
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Talking

I would of been a good fishing partner but #1 and and most of #10 got me voted off the island...
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default month off

Sorry here too fella. If you have to ask anything like #1, you're not going on the water with me. Also, in these difficult times, #8 is not a possibility. If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention, fishing or not.

It sound like you're such a buddy, I'd rather go to Rome with your wife. Culture, food, wine, music, romance. And there is fly fishing in Northern Italy.

Ciao

Default picking a fishing Buddy

As for #5 The reel had three ball bearings~ I lost one, broke one and they said they found the third in my pocket.

Remember, even a fish keeps his mouth shut to from being caught.

In retrospect every one of my top ten lists remind me of at least one or more of different fishing parteners I've had over the years. Number one was Ralph, I swear that guy would have had a hard time catching a pink at Valdez during the peak of the run. Number 2 was for Ed, his snoring kept the nieghbors three campsites away awake. Number 3 was for Larry he had no problem letting everyone else in the group pay for his share. He wasn't invited for a second trip. Number 4 was for Vaughn, we had to add a trailer behind the truck to handle all of his equipmnet. Number 5 is for Rich, who is comming with me this summer, he runs a fly shop and is Pres. of the area Fly Fishing CLub. I think he has everyone in the club tying for him! Number 6 is for Dan. He has every known electronic gadget ever devised, wrist mounted depth finder? Color GPS? Number 7 was for Steve, actually had to pour cold water on him to wake him up in the mornings. Number 8 was for Mike, he was the the state Attorney General that couldn't even put politics aside while fishing. Number 9 was for Kent he whined to the point that the rest of the guys took up a collection for a bus ticket home for him. Number 10 was for Dave and although he really wasn't all that skinny I remember him getting up in the morning worrying about what we were going to eat for dinner that night. All he thought about was food! .....The reality of it all is "we are all different"....me, they refer to me as the Captain from Hell...don't know why ...doesn't everyone fish 20 out of 24 hours even if it is raining or snowing? oh yeah...we'll eat later!

floridafisherman

where in Florida? Just sold a home on Ramrod Key, used to guide bonefish etc down there. Got toooo crowded.
    Living now on Lake Pierce in Lake Wales, Central Florida. Also live part of the year in Baja Mexico. Just bought a place in Coffman Cove, POW. We'll be there May 2007, probably through Sept, then on to Baja.

cap'n george

do ya do any fly roddin for tarpon? Don't have to be big ones, 50lbs and up would be great, heck a 30 pounder would be fun to I'm sure.

Reside in central Florida, east Orlando, 25 minutes from the Indian River Lagoon. Fish flyrod 99 per cent. Mosty chase redfish from a kayak. Whenever I feel the need to be humbled, frustrated, ect. I will target the tarpon. We have, depending on the time of year, wind direction, tide, water temps. mood of the fish, tarpon of all sizes, from two pound babies to triple digit giants. The resident population, mostly fish under thirty/fourty pounds frequent the canals and adjacent flats. The adult fish, fifty to two hundred pounds are pretty much a seasonal thing. My personal best is 80 pounds on the fly rod, 156 pounds on conventional tackle. Whereas I really enjoy the challenge of tarpon, and believe me they are a challenge, my bread and butter fish is the redfish.

ahh redfish, use to wade the Indian and St Lucie for them, a great fish, especially on Zarra Spooks. Would push a wall of water behind the plug before striking...

had Tarpon to 200+lbs, conventional tackle, also bonefish to 13 lbs and permit to 25....all in the lower Keys. Now I just play around on lake Pierce and wait for Alaska/Baja time...

Have gotten Broomtail grouper in Baja up to 80 lbs trolling plugs...few people/lotsa fish! e me gpurrm@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by floridafisherman View Post
    In retrospect every one of my top ten lists remind me of at least one or more of different fishing parteners I've had over the years. Number one was Ralph, I swear that guy would have had a hard time catching a pink at Valdez during the peak of the run. Number 2 was for Ed, his snoring kept the nieghbors three campsites away awake. Number 3 was for Larry he had no problem letting everyone else in the group pay for his share. He wasn't invited for a second trip. Number 4 was for Vaughn, we had to add a trailer behind the truck to handle all of his equipmnet. Number 5 is for Rich, who is comming with me this summer, he runs a fly shop and is Pres. of the area Fly Fishing CLub. I think he has everyone in the club tying for him! Number 6 is for Dan. He has every known electronic gadget ever devised, wrist mounted depth finder? Color GPS? Number 7 was for Steve, actually had to pour cold water on him to wake him up in the mornings. Number 8 was for Mike, he was the the state Attorney General that couldn't even put politics aside while fishing. Number 9 was for Kent he whined to the point that the rest of the guys took up a collection for a bus ticket home for him. Number 10 was for Dave and although he really wasn't all that skinny I remember him getting up in the morning worrying about what we were going to eat for dinner that night. All he thought about was food! .....The reality of it all is "we are all different"....me, they refer to me as the Captain from Hell...don't know why ...doesn't everyone fish 20 out of 24 hours even if it is raining or snowing? oh yeah...we'll eat later!

But do you wear a headlamp to tie on flies in the dark (before sunrise, after sunset)?

I'm just wondering if you'd make a clarification to #7 (willing to participate) - likes to take pictures of (someone else with) big fish?

Floridafisherman

are you "rob" that sent me an e mail?? replied but came back at me that it could not be delivered?? if so e again capt george