Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Griffin Odyssey Spider Vise

Default Griffin Odyssey Spider Vise

What are your thoughts on the Griffin Odyssey Spider Vise? I will NOT spend more than 100.00 on a vise so please dont suggest a Dyana King and such. I really would like your impression of this vise or any other one UNDER 100.00
    Thanks for your replies!

Default Here's a link

Check-out this thread from a month or so ago:

http://www.forums.outdoorsdirectory....ad.php?t=63180

I don't know anything about the Spider Vise, but I will whole-heartedly recommend the Dan Vise. I've been tying with one for years with absolutely no problems. Works great for all hook sizes; true rotary; bobbin rest; add the tying station and you can tie with it anywhere in the house and it takes-up very little space.

http://www.btsflyfishing.com/catalog/page4-5.htm

Default Yes on the Griffins...

Some guys might like more features, or the aesthetics of other vises, but I'm a fan of Griffins. Of 3 cheaper Griffins I've owned (Superior 1A, 2A and 3A), I gave one to a nephew who really took to the tying I showed him and replaced it later. Simple mechanically, they lock the hook in solidly and are easy to use. I expect them to last forever and take them anytime I travel for tying (the second usually for teaching).

The Spyder and Danvise look like fuller featured models that would even travel well too - and I think the rotary function is a plus. If I was shopping, choosing between them might be tough, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy any Griffin vise. Good, strong, simple stuff.

Good luck!

scottsum, he STARTED that thread LOL!

I'd still go with a superior 2a hands down if I wasnt tying on the dynakings.

whatever you do stay away from the cheap thompson kit style vises..there are more then a few of them out there, probably like the 20 dollar vise you have right now. Junk! There are some good middle range vises out there, most of them will do what you want. I cant speak for more doo dads or this or that, but I can tell you this...if you can afford it, and I know you dont want to hear it, but buy good once and you'll never buy another one for the rest of your life! that to me holds a big hand at the table. Good luck with whatever you do buy, I'm sure you'll be tickled either way.

Default Ha!

Ha! that is funny, I didn't even look (obviously).

Hey Tradbow, where's the pic of the 7 hook 7 hour frog you were talking about in that thread?

Kgpcr, did you decide to spring for the odyssey?

Yes i am going to spring for the Odyssey. i am going to order it this week. i will post a review when i get and get to tie a few flies. I am pretty new to fly tying buy have tied on a few vises so i will let you know what i think of it

Scott...till you posted that link I had completely forgot about it...I'll try and dig it out tonight. If it's not packed away like everything else I might be able to get you a pic or two of it tonight...otherwise it'll have to wait till the weekend...this living in rubbermaid lifestyle really stinks!

kgp,

That new blackfoot mongoose looks to be a full rotary also for the same price. Bored at work, had to check them out.

Scott, I have pics taken last nite of the 7 hook frog...cant find my dang usb cable after my 3 week trip to MN...getting old sucks LOL!

Default Bored?

Bored at work???

I gotta get a new job!

what can I say...they called us in on a holliday for standby....and I got tagged to answer the phones that rang at most 3 or 4 times. I aint complaining, it sure beats a day like today where you're jumping through hoops trying to keep up due to weather, gotta love it .

Gotta find a new usb cable...called home last nite and found out my cable is sitting in my parents computer LOL! go figure.

Default superior 3AR

kgpcr,

if you live in Anchorage you should swing by Sportsmans... I just picked up a brand-new Griffin #3AR on close-out for 40 bucks!! ... good sale prices on some misc tie materials and threads, too!

I've tied on the Griffin Superior 1A for 10 yrs. and just recently broke the front jaws (my fault)... so I upgraded to the 3AR rotory model and must say I'm quite pleased.

good luck in your search! and happy tying!

Default thumbs up

Both the spider and the odyssy are great vises. About half the price of a Renzetti, they are very durable and function just as they're supposed to. Renzetti and Dyna King are two very nice rotary vices, fully machined with extra bearings for smoother operation, but the Griffith vices give you a terrific value for the money. I've never had one come back to the store I work in.

Ok guys i just pulled a fast one on you. I bought an Apex Anvil. On sale for 70 shipped. I hear they are super tough. I should get it next week. i will let you know how i like it after it gets here.

looks like a decent price...70 bucks aint to bad either. What kind of warranty does it come with on the jaws?

front to back lifetime! Made in the USA as well!

right on, you cant ask for more! Let us know what you think of it once it arrives. I may start some beginners level fly tying class's this winter and am needing a few different vises for students to try out. At 70 bucks and a warrenty like that, it's kind of hard to pass up. Though I'm pretty sold on the 2a's too .

figure 6 or 8 alaska flies, starting simple and getting more complex as you move on to the next fly. Not only will you learn to tie you'll learn to tie flies that are go to standards for here. Kind of a win win I think.

Default Nice

That looks like a heck of a nice vise for the price. I think you made a good call. Let us know what you think.

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    right on, you cant ask for more! Let us know what you think of it once it arrives. I may start some beginners level fly tying class's this winter and am needing a few different vises for students to try out. At 70 bucks and a warrenty like that, it's kind of hard to pass up. Though I'm pretty sold on the 2a's too .

figure 6 or 8 alaska flies, starting simple and getting more complex as you move on to the next fly. Not only will you learn to tie you'll learn to tie flies that are go to standards for here. Kind of a win win I think.
    What are you favorite Sockeye flies?

Default Simple

I hate to say it, but my favorite flies for reds aren't really flies at all. I just use a 1/0 to 3/0 hook with an egg-loop and shove a couple of short pieces of yarn in the loop; simple and effective...(though not much fun at the vise) I'd say start with some clouser minnows, wooly buggers or coho flies and work from there.

Its getting off topic, but a great red fly is to just tie on a pair of bead chain or light dumbell eyes, then a wing of bucktail, flashabou, Crystal flash, etc. Wrap a tinsel body if you want to waste a little more time on each flie, but it doesn't seem too necessary. The Kenai bugs work really well too at times: bead chain eye, chenille body, one strand of glo yarn for a wing, tied on a shorter shanked hook like a Mustad 7970.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast