Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lisa Bison with 338 Handgun

Default Lisa Bison with 338 Handgun

First I would like to say thank you to my incredible wife for another exciting hunt, Ron at Benchmark barrels for an extremely fine product and to Jim See for the muscle brake that allows my little 5'2" wife to shoot a 338WSM in a handgun.

The day dawned clear 30 degrees and windy. We drove with a friend out to a place called Kalsin Bay and offloaded the three 4-wheelers. SOme 12 miles of medium grade four wheeling brought us out to a Bay known as Ugak Bay. As we are sitting at 500 feet above sea level our binoculars revealed some 25 head of Buffalo down near the beach 2 miles ahead. Then, a half mile to the right we see gigantis. Further watching and he has 4 brothers. A band of 5 bulls hanging out not far from the herd of cows and calves. I have to say here that these animals have never been fenced period. These particuler animals had left the ranch some ten miles west more than ten years ago.
    Now the excitment is on. We are cruising as fast as my little wife can handler her borrowed four-wheeler. Down off the pass and into the timber to where we had last seen the band of bulls.. Wouldn't you know it, they did not stay put for an easy hunt. My friend Eric stayed up and a small knob while Lisa and I try and see if we can locate the bulls. All over those flats we went and could not find them. Then an engine starts and the next thing I see is Eric motioning for me to follow. I move to where I can see where he is pointing and the bulls had moved up to elevation and were climbing while they fed. Lisa and I ran over to our 4-wheelers to take our gear to a closer location. IN her haste to get her machine going to get on the bulls she jammed the tranny so hopped on with me and away we go back across the valley.
    As we plan our direction of attack, now that the bulls are a quarter of a mile ahead of us and moving away. I can't help wishing there was some way to get this done easily. That and I am looking at if there is a way to get the 4-wheelers up there 500 vertical feet above our position. Well the stalk is on. We head out in a 30 degree angle away from the bulls and start our climb on the back side of a bluff from where we last saw the bulls. Huff and puffing we top out and sneak around the corner in the scattered cottonwoods. There is Mr Big and a buddy standing side by side moving away from our position and still climbing. SO we climbed diagonal slightly to their left again and began the climb to top out at another knoll and should take us to within a hundred yards. SInce Lisa had just drove a miserable two hours controlling a 600 pound motor bike and now 700 yards of walking up an Alaskan style hill,l I wanted all the odds in our (her) favor. I stop just short of cresting and spent ten minutes letting Lisa cool down and get ready for the shot.
    Lisa gets her 338WSM ready and today I wanted to see just how tough the 338 180 grain Accubonds really are. It has been my plan for a very long time to have her put a pill between the eyes. A buffalo bull has an incredible bridge work forehead and no better way to test our standard hunting load/bear protection load than on a very large Bison bull. SO up and over the crest and dang, they had turned around and I was instantly spotted by a lessor bull. I noted the big boy (actually two) feeding towards us at 50 yards away and they had not seen us. SO we creep into postion and drop the hammer at 50 yards. Bang flop and its over! I forgot to mention that Lisa had her video camera in her pack and left it on her 4-wheeler in her haste.

I now head down the hill picking a trail for the 4-wheelers and back up the hill with Eric and two machines. We took some still shots and decided to gut the animal prior to pulling it back down to the valley floor. ERic had the bigger machine so hooked up with the 700 Yamaha 4X4 and spun all four tires trying to pull the cleaned animal down hill. I then hooked up to Eric and between the two of us we were barely able to get him moving. We towed it to the valley floor and prepped the animal for the 14 mile trip of horror back to the truck.

Now understand this is so far from a canned hunt and though my grammer is pretty poor do to extreme fatigue I went to bed at something like 1:30 this morning. Like 20 hours after I got up the previous morning. My wife, bless her tired aching body was up at 6 a.m. this morning so we could bring the 4-wheeler with the last 200 pounds of meat back home. Yes this is serious brown bear country so we were packing both 338's as I really expected to shoot a bear. We had left the meat firmly lashed to the bike so he would have to haul bike and all away. The thinking was that he would just camp and eat right there. I have a bear tag so collecting a nice brown bear on the trail next to the 4-wheeler was surely a positive thing. Alas no bear and no problems so we changed the tire and headed out. In the meantime Eric and his son and a bunch of buddies comunicated and they all rode in with us this morning to get their own buffalo. SO Lisa and I headed back to the truck while the rest headed in for their own adventure. Two miles towards the truck the same tire went flat again. Just when we entered the bad part of the trail. SO this time I repositioned everything on my 4-wheeler. Loaded the 200 pounds of brisket on the back and left the bike for the others as we had to get back to work. It was a very extreme drive out like the night before, except this time it was daylight and clear with very little wind. Lisa was given the opportunity to drive but declined do to arm fatigue.

No guys the picture is not staged. Lisa is actually skinning out this animal While Eric and I are sitting off to the side sipping hot chocolate! Yea right!

We built a cooler in my friends shop a long time ago. 900 pounds on the bone in the cooler.

Neal

Default Whens the BBQ

Dude I'm your new best friend. That right there is super awesome for you, your family, and friends. Everyone is gonna be eating great for a long time.

That firearm is cool too!

Great story, a real good read. Those buffalo are all over the place. The last I heard they gave the rancher one more year to get them on his property before them open them up for hunting. I was out at the Marin Range scouting for goats and saw one up at 1600 feet! Anyhow, congrats to you and your wife

Cograts on your bison Lisa that is awesome love the fact you got it with a pistol!
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Wow, that's a heck of a bison! Congrats to Lisa! We saw some of those bison when we were hunting goats on the South Road System. I couldn't believe some of the trails up in the high country that those guys use. I'm surprised those bison haven't moved further north, because the mountains sure don't seem to slow them down much.

Thumbs up cool story and great shot!

it would be neat to hunt a bison like that.
    so did you "buy" it from the rancher? is F&G really gonna declare them feral?

i don't know about "handgun" though ... looks like if i cut the stock off my .338 and put a bipod on it i could call it a "handgun" too.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    is F&G really gonna declare them feral?
    Does it take an official declaration? Seems like if they're not behind a fence that they should be legal game, especially if they cross onto public land like some people have reported. Hmmm....

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Does it take an official declaration? Seems like if they're not behind a fence that they should be legal game, especially if they cross onto public land like some people have reported. Hmmm....
    This aspect really needs further examination. Cows that have gone wild on the islands have been fair game for a long time, and F&G even encourages you to go shoot them and in some instances have paid to have them shot. Allowing a single rancher to allow "his" animals free range, with state protection doesn't appear proper to me. This all sounds really bogus to me. I am going to make some calls.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    I am going to make some calls.
    If you find out that they're legal under feral game regs, give me a call before you post the info here. I'll be on my way to Kodiak shortly!

Thumbs up

Only had to make one call. The guy was actually expecting a call.
    He referred me to page 126 of the State Game Reg Book. It is spelled out in Deleterious exotic wildlife.

Bison are considered Domestic Animals, IF they are confined or restrained.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    as a farmer you have 24 hours to reclaim your critters...

my friend out on Eielson Farm Road had his herd escape a few years back we wound up shooting one of his bulls( causing the issues) before the neighbors did... F&G told him then ... 24 hours and it is GAME

HOWEVER.

since AK now has Wild Bison hunts in the regs... i would caution shooting one you see in the wrong place.

Kodiak has had them loose for years... i would like to know more about the hunt these folks went on...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Lisa's Bison

I have spoke with Fish and Game for many years about this situation.
    1. Bill Burton has one of two ranches that many years ago raised cattle and got tired of bear killing them. He along with the rancher I hunted buffalo with raised beef,now buffalo for market. Since switching to buffalo we are unaware of any being killed by bear.
    2. Burton has always had his animals fenced. They got out of the fence and went onto native land. If there is permission from the natives these animals are untouchable. The other rancher like Burton has leased thousands of acres. Where I hunted was on another ranchers (cow) lease and he doesn't care.
    4. However, there are something like 35 buffalo on State land west of wild creek in Ugak bay. This is state land with no lease. These buffalo are not only unhuntable according to John Cry with our Department of Fish and Game, the no access area without a big boat has pretty much made the expense of taking one way to rich for my blood.

Not sure who or if its a class action between the ranchers but there was filed an injunction this year against fish and game taking control of the wayward animals and having a hunt.

5. Recently I spoke with John Cry about going to the head of Ugak bay with a friends fishing boat for a free animal and he said that I would be cited by the State Troopers. If the troopers did not cite me and the owner of the stock found out he could come after me civilly. SInce I am retired Alaska Law Enforcement and a friend of the rancher neither sounds like the way to go. Once the court issue is settled and I think it will fall towards the State then an annoucement will be made and the hunt is one.

Mine was split between (meat) 3 other people and we paid $2000. for any size. Burton would have charged $5000. for the one we got because of size. So would the rancher in Delta Junction.

The information here is dead nuts on but feel free to call whomever. I have been after getting free meat for many years and we have just been splitting the cost as none of us can use more than a couple hundred pounds of meat since our families are grown. P,M. Me if you are serious about a buffalo. I would have simply driven in the old military road after a buff if it had not have washed out so badly this fall with the hideous rains.

Neal

These are specialized handguns that I have been building and hunting with for years.
    I have them from 338WSM through 460X510 Weatherby. Currently I am waiting for my pre-chambered Savage barrel in 338 Edge to install on another center grip Striker ( large shank).

Neal

Neal - Thanks for the info.

-Brian

It will be interesting how the handling of these animals developes in the future. A friend has killed a couple of them near Wild Creek. It would be great if this became an new bison hunting opportunity.

Default Combo

Ya.....A bison and brown bear combo. Shoot a Bison and sit on that big stinky gut pile waiting for a big bruin to come strolling in. The nice thing about Delta is it's on the road system.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorse View Post
    Ya.....A bison and brown bear combo. Shoot a Bison and sit on that big stinky gut pile waiting for a big bruin to come strolling in. The nice thing about Delta is it's on the road system.

lol not for Sitka...

might as well row over the pond...........
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I have spoke with Fish and Game for many years about this situation.
    5. Recently I spoke with John Cry about going to the head of Ugak bay with a friends fishing boat for a free animal and he said that I would be cited by the State Troopers. If the troopers did not cite me and the owner of the stock found out he could come after me civilly. SInce I am retired Alaska Law Enforcement and a friend of the rancher neither sounds like the way to go. Once the court issue is settled and I think it will fall towards the State then an annoucement will be made and the hunt is one.

Neal

Good bison hunting story. Congrats and thanks for sharing. I have my doubts that even the State Troopers would know whether or not to cite a person for killing a bison on State land, if the bison aren't native to the area and escaped from a ranch more than a decade ago. They clearly didn't migrate from the mainland. But I think you went about it the most appropriate way given your circumstances.

Default lisa Bison

SO that we haven't given a false impression. The State has laid claim to the Bison. The rancher filed an injuction stopping further activities (hunts). Having spoken with State Law Enforcement, the animals having been away from home/ the ranchers were given two years to rectify the feral animal situation and nothing was done so the Bison technically belong to the State.

Personally I would like to see 5000 of these critters on the island. The grass isn't consumed by deer as they are browsers. The grass is arm pit deep everywhere there aren't Spruce trees which makes tough walking to get into the high country. The goat stay in the high country and we have a smallish band of reindeer on the south end of Kodiak. SO with a smallish band of elk on Kodiak Island itself there isn't anything eating the grass. There will end up being a short hunt on the wayward Bison and the rest will run back onto the lease property and all is good. Then we can start the whole process all over again when they run away from home.

Neal

Thumbs up 2k

$2000 to kill a big bull and have a great hunt is a real deal. You can't get that good of price on big bull in the lower 48 and you sure don't get the Kodiak experience with it. Great job.

How did the Accubond hold up against the Bull. Would like to see what it looks like after going through that kind of bone. Scotty

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast