Thread: 338 marlin

Default 338 marlin

has anyone used the 338 marlin this hunting season? Wondering about accuracy and field performance.

Not me, but I have one first-hand account for a friend. Worked great, but he's disappointed in a funny kind of way.

He wanted to stretch the range beyond what his beloved 35 Rem was capable of and invested accordingly, but all three deer he shot were inside 50 yards. All factory loads, and perfect bullet performance in every case. Through and through penetration with no excess meat loss or signs of bullet blow up. And not a bullet recovered. He's disappointed that he didn't get to test the outer limits of the round's capabilities, but is surely happy with the results on the shots he got.

Interesting cartridge. I really dont like new cartridges as I feel we are re-inventing the wheel most times, but this actually fills a void. If a guy wants a Med bore lever gun what are his choices...348Win=$$$ if you can find one, 356=also expensive and goofy angle eject, or 338 Marlin.

The thing I dont like is its limited selection in bullets. You can load the flex tip Hornady or the flex tip hornady, as there are no FP .338 bullets designed to expand at those velocities that I am aware of besided some of the custom outfits like Hawk. Due to this, I would probably grab a 35 Rem and limit my shots in range, or step up to the 45-70, 444.

Smile it's different...

I am a big time believer of the .338 caliber, in a bolt gun. If they made some heavy flat nosed bullets for it I would like it better. The .338 bullet is long for it's weight and the stout ones penetrate deeply. Still, I think Marlin is missing the boat by not necking the old 45-70 case to .35, .375 and .411 caliber. The .35 would probably sell the best as there are lots of hunters who chase deer, elk, moose and bear in the timber. But, the trend is towards trying to extend the range of lever guns. I looked at one in the gun shop yesterday. It was stainless with the grey laminated stock. I liked the gun, just can't warm up to the caliber. A 220 to 250 grain .35 caliber bullet at 2,300 fps mv would take care of almost any thing out to 200 or so yards.

My biggest problem is Hornadys claim it is the most powerfull long range bullet ever in a lever action.I figure Hornady has never heard of the Browning BLR or Winchester 95

Default Right on, Amigo...

What is the point of this round when you can get a BLR in any number of different calibers and load standard bullets since it has a box magazine. They make them in .300 Win Mag and 7MM Rem Mag. Now THOSE are long range rounds.

Default right

you guys are right, the 95 and the blr both offer more power. Im not a fan of the new blrs though i had one in 358, it was very unreliable. the marlins are pretty much bullet proof after installing some of WWG goodies.

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    I am a big time believer of the .338 caliber, in a bolt gun. If they made some heavy flat nosed bullets for it I would like it better. The .338 bullet is long for it's weight and the stout ones penetrate deeply. Still, I think Marlin is missing the boat by not necking the old 45-70 case to .35, .375 and .411 caliber. The .35 would probably sell the best as there are lots of hunters who chase deer, elk, moose and bear in the timber. But, the trend is towards trying to extend the range of lever guns. I looked at one in the gun shop yesterday. It was stainless with the grey laminated stock. I liked the gun, just can't warm up to the caliber. A 220 to 250 grain .35 caliber bullet at 2,300 fps mv would take care of almost any thing out to 200 or so yards.
    It'd be real nice if you could get a .338 bullet in something like the Semi-Spitzer Partition 220 in .308 that Nosler makes. If more .338 bullets like that were available that would be real nice, adding some versatility to the .338 Marlin. You have a good a good idea there, necking down a larger case like 45-70 or even a .450 Marlin to .35!

Its about equal to the 356win.If Hornady had loaded for some of the Winchester L/A rounds there would be no Marlin/Hornady rounds