Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: POW-Coffman Cove-Deer Down Baby

Default POW-Coffman Cove-Deer Down Baby

Sitting here in my own cabin at Coffman Cove Adventures located on Prince Of Wales Island thinking about the last week I had stalking and killing deer.
    This was my first trip down here and I had high hopes for a successfull hunt and good times. Little did I know how good it was going to be (weather was the only bad part, but thats not a bad thing).
    I arrived on Sunday night the 25th of October to some of the worst weather I had ever seen. I was a little discouraged by the weather, but when we saw 23 deer on the way to the cabins from the ferry my attitude was changed. Arriving late we checked in and hit the sack. We awoke the next morning to a pot of hot coffee and a delicous breakfast and out the door we went. The first day was tough we saw plenty of does and only one small spike/fork (which we bagged). Headed back to the cabin to share stories of the day over a awesome dinner and drinks.
    The next day started once again to hot coffee and a filling meal. Little did I know that this was going to be the day. We headed to an area that we found the day before loaded with sign. We got in just as light was breaking and we made a few calls. Five minutes later a beautifull buck walked out from the musk keg. I let him get to about 35 yards before I took a great broad side shot with my .223. 25 yards later he was down, a direct shot to the heart and lungs. My first BLACK TAIL EVER was down ( a beautifull 10 point.). A rough score of 94-98 was done later at camp, after my drink of crown to celebrate of course.
    The next four days flew by. Nothing but good food, good people, and good hunting. In total my buddy and I took 6 deer, 4 green heads, 3 geese, 2 teal, 1 harlequin, shrimp and so many great memories.

If any one is looking for an absolute blast head to Prince of Wales (POW). The deer are just starting to rut, the last two days they finally started chasing the does. FYI.....Coffman Cove Adventures has cabins, vehicles, boats, and supplies 3 meals a day. It is very affordable too.

Seriously head down here ASAP, come fill your freezers with some awesome deer meat. If you like duck hunting then you will be blown away as well.

I normally don't indorse people or places, but Mike Warner at Coffman Cove was awesome and best of all I killed a deer of a lifetime.

Sorry for the short post, i'm whooped and ready for bed. I got to get up early to catch the ferry home. I'll add more details later.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Bryan.

I am glad this hunt turned out so fantastic for you. I might have to look into doing that next year.

Bryan,

Curious about the cost of the trip, ferry, lodging and all that. I would love to do one of these trips.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan19alaska View Post
    Sitting here in my own cabin at Coffman Cove Adventures located on Prince Of Wales Island thinking about the last week I had stalking and killing deer.
    This was my first trip down here and I had high hopes for a successfull hunt and good times. Little did I know how good it was going to be (weather was the only bad part, but thats not a bad thing).
    I arrived on Sunday night the 25th of October to some of the worst weather I had ever seen. I was a little discouraged by the weather, but when we saw 23 deer on the way to the cabins from the ferry my attitude was changed. Arriving late we checked in and hit the sack. We awoke the next morning to a pot of hot coffee and a delicous breakfast and out the door we went. The first day was tough we saw plenty of does and only one small spike/fork (which we bagged). Headed back to the cabin to share stories of the day over a awesome dinner and drinks.
    The next day started once again to hot coffee and a filling meal. Little did I know that this was going to be the day. We headed to an area that we found the day before loaded with sign. We got in just as light was breaking and we made a few calls. Five minutes later a beautifull buck walked out from the musk keg. I let him get to about 35 yards before I took a great broad side shot with my .223. 25 yards later he was down, a direct shot to the heart and lungs. My first BLACK TAIL EVER was down ( a beautifull 10 point.). A rough score of 94-98 was done later at camp, after my drink of crown to celebrate of course.
    The next four days flew by. Nothing but good food, good people, and good hunting. In total my buddy and I took 6 deer, 4 green heads, 3 geese, 2 teal, 1 harlequin, shrimp and so many great memories.

If any one is looking for an absolute blast head to Prince of Wales (POW). The deer are just starting to rut, the last two days they finally started chasing the does. FYI.....Coffman Cove Adventures has cabins, vehicles, boats, and supplies 3 meals a day. It is very affordable too.

Seriously head down here ASAP, come fill your freezers with some awesome deer meat. If you like duck hunting then you will be blown away as well.

I normally don't indorse people or places, but Mike Warner at Coffman Cove was awesome and best of all I killed a deer of a lifetime.

Sorry for the short post, i'm whooped and ready for bed. I got to get up early to catch the ferry home. I'll add more details later.

Great trip Bryan and great deer. Just FYI we don't to Easter count on our deer. You got what we call a 5 pointer. And it doesn't change how nice of deer it its.

Nice looking bucks you got there!
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Congrats on your hunt.

Default Congrats

That sounds like a fine trip. Thats a super stud buck you bagged.

Awesome!

Nice buck you bagged ! Sounds like a great trip. I am curious as to the cost of a trip like as well.

Default You got what we call a 5 pointer

C'mon Dean, you countin eye guards? 4 point all the way but still a brute! Congrats on your trip, seeing the pics got my mouth watering for those back straps.
    Even a jackass won't stumble on the same stone twice.

Quote Originally Posted by ACNDHO View Post
    C'mon Dean, you countin eye guards? 4 point all the way but still a brute! Congrats on your trip, seeing the pics got my mouth watering for those back straps.
    Al, I was giving him the benefit of doubt. But still a nice buck.

Wow, thats a great buck, congrats! It's always nice when to have the time and opportunity to go after another species when out hunting. Sounds like you and your buddy had an awesome time, good job!

Default Nice!

It is great to see a pole filled up with deer. I went down this summer and stayed at Coffman Cove adventures. Mike was a great host and so was the fishing.

I'm headed there on the fourth for seven days of hunting. This is my third year. But I am staying in Craig. Pow is awsome.

Default What Happened?

I was down there two weeks ago and hunted 5 days and saw 0 bucks and 15 does! Whats up with that?

Sounds like you made it happen! Awsome!

Quote Originally Posted by AK flyster View Post
    I was down there two weeks ago and hunted 5 days and saw 0 bucks and 15 does! Whats up with that?

Sounds like you made it happen! Awsome!
    You probably didn't look behind the right bush.

Gotta get my lot on the Big Island paid off and start building my retirement/hunting/fishin' cabin!!!

I plan to go back next year as well. Those little buggers are fun as heck to hunt and oh my gosh they are even better to eat.

I have never killed a deer before so I appologize for the wrong count on the rack. 4 point with eye guards it is. Either way I could not be happier with my deer and my trip to POW.

Mike was a great host and the trip was an absolute blast.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan19alaska View Post
    I plan to go back next year as well. Those little buggers are fun as heck to hunt and oh my gosh they are even better to eat.

I have never killed a deer before so I appologize for the wrong count on the rack. 4 point with eye guards it is. Either way I could not be happier with my deer and my trip to POW.

Mike was a great host and the trip was an absolute blast.
    Welcome to SE deer hunting.....can't beat it can you?

Default Can you say rut?

Big storm blowing in today, deer should be moving like crazy. I think this may be the quickest a critter has been posted here - two Anchortown guys went out this AM after breakfast. Left at 7:05 just as it was getting light enough to shoot and were back at 7:25 with this guy. Photo makes it look darker than it is under the trees in my yard but they were tickled. Walked across the clearcut they were watching at their first lookout. Second is another nice one.

Bryan, glad you had a great trip! For folks asking cost is $175 per day - meals, cabin, truck.

Gooch
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Is it still raining? Has Eric found his buck?

It absolutely sucks sitting in the office right now. I want to be back on POW chasing deer. That there hunting is like herion for the junkie.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast