Thread: Making my 870 a little more handier....

Default Making my 870 a little more handier....

Well, one gun left to tinker with. My 870 12 guage. I have had it along time, and its pretty well used. Mostly for ducks, but it has whacked a few rabbits and grouse as well.

Im thinking about making it my boat gun/all purpose tool.

Or in short waste some money to make it look cool.

Id like to get a short barrel, Probably smooth to retain versatility.

But to make it shoot slugs alright, I need to get a good set of sights. There is a ton to choose from but I dont know where to begin, and Ill imagine I'll have to order them. So it would be nice to have some opinions and observations from you guys.

A magazine extension is desirable too, just to make it look better. Ditto a replacement stock.

Pictures of your shotgun mods and what they are would be greatly appreciated too!

probably cheaper to just get a second barrel with rifle sights smooth bore.

I agree with TheBear, find a second barrel already setup. There are several good options, but it is hard to beat a factory Remington barrel (18.5-21) inches. Mine is 21 inches with a 3 inch chamber and IC choke. It has factory sights that are soldered in place, which means they are durable. It's smoothbore so buckshot and birdshot is no problem if you choose to load it that way.

The OP suggests you want it handier. I would recommend against a mag extension if you want it handy. That's a good bit of extra weight and I can't say it does a lot for balance. Nothing wrong with an extension, but you mentioned handier, not sure that is the way to go.

Stocks for the 870 come in a myriad of options, but I've never replaced the wood stock on mine. Seems sturdy enough for me and the nicks and scratches just add character. Don't chicks dig scars?

I think this is a great idea. I have a trusty 870 as a boat gun. It's quick, relatively light and durable to a fault. Seems like a wonderful thing to keep in camp to sort out whatever might get in the way.

File a Form 1 with ATF for 200$ and cut it to magazine length on the barrel and ream/thread it for screw in chokes. Then add your fovorite sights. THAT will make it handy, and you won't lose anything in ballistics.

If you are wanting to have some fun... You could make it 18.5" and keep it legal, add a set of pistol grips, sling, tactical light, magazine extension, etc.. Brownells, hell even Cabelas, has the parts. Pretty inexpensive. Then again, you could always send it to Wilson Combat and pay them the $350 or so to completely re-work the gun and make it a mean home defense gun. They sell a gun similar to what I described up top, but if you send them your 870, they do it for less money of course.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Here's my Vang Comp 870 Police Magnum.

Remington 870 Police Magnum
    18" barrel ported with VCS choke system
    VCS ghost ring rear sight with integral rail
    VCS front sight with big dot tritium
    VCS big safety
    Hogue short butt stock
    Surefire forend light
    Mesa Tactical side saddle
    Robar Roguard finish with NP3 internals
    GG&G rear sling mount
    Wilderness Giles single point sling

I've had this 870 for about a year now and am very pleased with it. This 870 resides two feet away from where I sleep.

Matt, I know that you already have an 870, but if you are building the ultimate 870 it is best to start with a police magnum because of the upgraded parts.

I did not go with an extended magazine. An 870 is heavy enough and when you add two more rounds that far out it gets really heavy especially when you are doing a lot of manipulations and keeping the gun in your shoulder. I may go with a VCS one round extension at some point, but never two. Having said that, I fully realize that the biggest limitation the shotgun has is ammo capacity.

I am not totally sold on the single point sling. I have two point slings on all of my ARs and AKs, but Hans Vang suggested I try a single point on this gun. It has certain advantages, but I view the single point as a specialized item.

The VCS porting and choke is a must have. With Winchester Ranger 8 pellet buck this gun will keep all pellets in 12" circle at 25 yards and I have shot 2" three shot slug groups at 100 yards with Brenneke 2 3/4" short magnum slugs.

The Robar finish is good, but I prefer Black T. Hans Vang has a good relationship with Robar and wanted me to try their finish. It is good, but I think Birdsong's Black T is tougher.

I may add an Aimpoint T1 on the rail at some point.

I have about 500 rounds through the gun so far with no problems and hope to attend a training class with it in the next year or so which will really give it a good wringing out.

I can get some better pics if you need them.

Vang Comp has a pretty nice sale going right now. Check it out: http://vangcomp.com/

Smile Vangs guns...

Chisana hit the nail on the head. Look at Hans Vang's web site and get some ideas. I have been shooting Vang Comped/ported shot guns for many years and have one in 870 persuasion in my house. I set my son-in-law up with one since he stole my daughter away from me and now has my 3 grandkids to protect! I am not a huge fan of "peep" sights on a combat shot gun and prefer the "Wide V Express" type of rear sight with the big white tritium dot on the front. You can just buy a extra barrel with sights, that would be the cheapest route. An 18" barreled 870 with all the available gadgets on it can be a heavy set up to stay "at guard" with for extended periods. As to going below the required 18" barrel length let me say this. I have shot the 14" barreled Vanged shotguns for years. We should all have one in our bed room and it is a darn shame our federal govt. makes it so difficult to have one. They are my favorite "combat" shot gun and would be great for the trail if loaded with the "Black Magic" Brenneke Slugs. They are easy to carry and fast to present. If you get the federal license you may still have to get the local police chief to sign off on it. Our last police chief in Kenai would not do it, I have not checked with the current one. I am also not a big fan of pistol grips on a shot gun, but everyone else seems to be. I think they get in the way and slow me down. If they were faster then a regular stock I think the exhibition shooters would be using them.

As noted...police chief must sign on a short barrel and you may not use it for defense or hunting...so it becomes a range piece.

I`ve tried alot of diferent combos and have gone back to the black Express stocks, 2 shot extension (weight out where recoil is generated), custom shortened (legal) vent barrel with Truglo insert, and domed safety. These are the things I need...everything else is fluff and adds weight.

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    you may not use it for defense
    That is incorrect.

Filing a form 1 with ATF does not preclude you from using the firearm for hunting or self defense. Register it as a "short barreled shotgun" and you can put a buttstock or pistol grip on it. Hence the 200$ tax. If you only pay the 5$ tax and register it as an "any other weapon" AOW then you are limited to fitting it with a pistol grip only, as in the witness protection shotguns. Troopers will sign off on the form anywhere in Alaska. Unless you are within the city limits of a municipality, then it's the local chief or his representative. Also a superior court judge can sign if they are so inclined. Another avenue is to form a corporation, then no law enforcement signature is required on the form before submitting it to ATF. Short barrel shotguns are WAY handy.

I don't like pistol grips on shotguns either (or any guns for that matter). It feels unnatural to me, and it throws off the balance. A normal stock just seems to point better. Maybe it has something to do with hand-eye coordination, or maybe that's just what I'm used to. I think Speedfeed stocks are cool though. And I believe Remington makes a short barrel with rifle sights and interchangeable chokes. That would increase versatility over one with fixed IC choke.

Im seriously just thinking of buying a Benelli now. They come with short barrel, ghost ring sites and can handle 3.5 shells. For 399.00

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    Filing a form 1 with ATF does not preclude you from using the firearm for hunting or self defense. Register it as a "short barreled shotgun" and you can put a buttstock or pistol grip on it. Hence the 200$ tax. If you only pay the 5$ tax and register it as an "any other weapon" AOW then you are limited to fitting it with a pistol grip only, as in the witness protection shotguns.
    AOWs are $5 to transfer. To make an SBR, SBS, or AOW it costs the full $200.

Hey matt, the mariner 500 isn't a bad little defense gun either and it's very inexpensive. They are usually available on all the bases up here.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Default 870

Matt, how about the 870 Marine Magnum? Stainless/synthetic with 18" barrel, full length mag tube. The finish should be good around water.

http://www.remington.com/products/fi...gnum_specs.asp

What about a nitride finish on your shotgun. Should be very rust resistant with this type of finish.